3D Printing and Preparation of Projects with Puppy Linux

Moderator: Forum moderators

rockedge
Site Admin

3D Printing and Preparation of Projects with Puppy Linux

Post by rockedge »

The other day an unexpected box was delivered to my front door which turns out to be an Elegoo Mars 3 resin 3D printer! It's a gift from my step sons for being "Opa" to their kids and caught me by surprise.

So immediately I feel the need to print something. The printer has a USB port and the onboard operating system looks for a FAT32 partition and as I discovered with some research, can only "see" and "talk to" partitions that are a MAXIMUM of 4 G. This is an important fact to know with a Mars 3.

The printer came with a USB drive with a test print file that will create 2 rook chess pieces. Which I managed to print successfully after learning how to set the printer's Z axis to zero. So now I would like to learn how to make things.

On the USB stick came the slicing software package CHITUBOX which has a Linux version and behold! On Puppy Linux F96-CE_4 it runs well!
I found a large amount of spare parts and interesting things that are available as output from CAD programs and others like Blender. CHITUBOX can take that object file and slice it into layers and save it in a format that the Mars 3 can read.

I made for a run these small cable guides that are very handy and it's amazing how precise the Elegoo printer can make these fittings. Now looking at some of the CAD programs that have been talked about on this forum and the Murga forum to perhaps learn how to make a design that the slicer can handle and save in the Mars 3 format.

Screenshot(19).jpg
Screenshot(19).jpg (17 KiB) Viewed 483 times
IMG_20230727_121401_0.jpg
IMG_20230727_121401_0.jpg (9.7 KiB) Viewed 441 times
IMG_20230727_121437_4.jpg
IMG_20230727_121437_4.jpg (10.49 KiB) Viewed 439 times
Grey

Re: 3D Printing and Preparation of Projects with Puppy Linux

Post by Grey »

rockedge wrote: Thu Jul 27, 2023 4:12 pm

unexpected box

Not bad. And for free :) In general, a good gift.

I never bought such a printer. It was somehow expensive all the time, and then I decided that I didn't need such a device every day, and the necessary parts for my "crafts" could be built from wooden bars. But as a gift - beauty.

And now I've switched to cardboard and boxes :)

Fossapup OS, Ryzen 5 3600 CPU, 64 GB RAM, GeForce GTX 1050 Ti 4 GB, Sound Blaster Audigy Rx with amplifier + Yamaha speakers for loud sound, USB Sound Blaster X-Fi Surround 5.1 Pro V3 + headphones for quiet sound.

Return to “Engineering/Science/Simulation”