About trying to change kernels

Moderator: Forum moderators

bigpup

About trying to change kernels

Post by bigpup »

From another topic this information about trying to change the kernel.

Here is my problem:

@MochiMoppelI'm testing @radky 's Bookworm64, which comes with a 6.1.25 kernel. I already know from F96-CE_4, which comes with a 6.0.12 kernel, that the 6x kernels don't seem to like my old HW. I experience occasional failures to wake up from suspend. so, for F96-CE_4, I successfully 'flinched' the 5.4.53 kernel and the associated zdrv from an earlier F96 build, and it worked.

The same trick doesn't work with Bookworm, The vmlinuz/zdrv combo from F64 doesn't work well (no internet connection, among other glitches). I also tried to keep Bookworm's zdrv and only flip vmlinuz. Doesn't work either. So how do I get to a working zdrv for an older kernel?

ozsouths's answer:

@MochiMoppel - Bookworm is using a usrmerge kernel - so old kernels & fdrvs won't work. That's why I made my 6.1.23 usrmerge kernel & fdrv.
I also made a 5.10.174 experimental usrmerge kernel you may wish to try (should be fine, works with jrb's Jammypup, but use at own risk).
See: https://www.mediafire.com/file/9v0ciz5d ... r.bz2/file
Once downloaded, expand in an empty folder via tar -jxvf, then rename vmlinuz... as just vmlinuz & rename kernel-modules... as zdrv_(whatever Bookworm zdrv is called) & replace originals & reboot (NOTE: your grub/syslinux .cfg's linux/kernel line probably needs to contain punionfs=overlay, & MAY need to end with modprobe.blacklist=snd_hda_codec_realtek).

Forum Global Moderator
The things you do not tell us, are usually the clue to fixing the problem.
When I was a kid, I wanted to be older.
This is not what I expected :o

dancytron

Re: About trying to change kernels

Post by dancytron »

The link appears to be broken.

ozsouth

Re: trying to change kernels

Post by ozsouth »

@dancytron - this kernel is on archive.org (see below). I usually wait a few days after posting there, then remove mediafire links.
The forum kernels section should reflect this change. Sorry, I forgot to come back to this thread & fix it.

https://archive.org/download/Puppy_Linu ... um.tar.bz2

linuxunix

Re: trying to change kernels

Post by linuxunix »

ozsouth wrote: Wed Jul 12, 2023 2:58 am

@dancytron - this kernel is on archive.org (see below). I usually wait a few days after posting there, then remove mediafire links.
The forum kernels section should reflect this change. Sorry, I forgot to come back to this thread & fix it.

https://archive.org/download/Puppy_Linu ... um.tar.bz2

I can't compile the kernel with. config anymore. I used to use other versions of Puppy Linux, and it would automatically compile with. config. However, using this requires resetting not to use. config and constantly asking questions. Compilation cannot continue. What is the configuration issue? GCC? Please answer me when you have time. Thank you

ozsouth

Post by ozsouth »

@linuxunix - I do my compiling in non-usrmerge kernels, as I have not converted my kernel-kit (& may not). If I want to make a kernel usrmerge, I must edit kernel modules & kernel sources files to have /bin, /lib, /sbin as symlinks to their /usr placements.

dimkr

Post by dimkr »

make or make menuconfig will ask you questions if the build environment you're using is different than the one used to produce the .config file you already have.

Make sure you have these packages installed before you try to rebuild the kernel.

Return to “BookwormPup”