KLV-Airedale-rc17 kernel 6.1.29 and Expanded Firmware

Kennel Linux Void-based

Moderator: Forum moderators

Sofiya

Re: KLV-Airedale-rc17 kernel 6.1.29 and Expanded Firmware

Post by Sofiya »

This is exactly how I have it installed, and there are no problems, only register correctly in the bootloader :thumbup: ;)

Vanilla Dpup 9.2.X - KLV-Airedale - KLA-OT2
PUPPY LINUX Simple fast free

mikewalsh

Post by mikewalsh »

@Gnimmelf :-

I'm with Fred on this one. I, too, haven't bothered with using an installer for adding Puppies for a very long time.

I used the old Puppy Universal Installer for the first 3 or 4 months, I guess. After that, following revelations from another community member - don't ask me who, because I honestly don't remember - I've ever since performed "quick & dirty" manual installs, along with manually modifying the boot-loader.

All I do is to copy an existing boot stanza, then edit four words.....to point to the 'new' Puppy's uniquely-named sub-directory. And because all my Pups live on the same partition, I don't even need to change the UUID via

Code: Select all

blkid

It might be "dirty". But there's no denying it's "quick"..!

It does, however, presuppose that you already have existing Puppy installs set up.....

(*shrug*)

(Fred's post sounds as though it's taking for granted that many of us are now switching to GRUB2..? He may be right in this supposition; I wouldn't know. I'm a "hold-out", still using Grub4DOS. I've always found GRUB2 to be complicated and bloated.....and Grub4DOS is nice & simple, and does what I want, so I stick with it.

It "works" for me. No disrespect to those using other bootloaders; we all use what works best for us.) :)

Mike. ;)

Puppy "stuff" ~ MORE Puppy "stuff" ~ ....and MORE! :D

keniv

Post by keniv »

+1 for the method that @mikewalsh has described above. That's more or less exactly what I do including the use of Grub4dos for the same reasons as Mike suggests.

Regards,

Ken.

fredx181

Post by fredx181 »

mikewalsh wrote:

Fred's post sounds as though it's taking for granted that many of us are now switching to GRUB2..?

No, I was just taking for granted that the user asking for help said that he was using grub2.

wiak

Post by wiak »

fredx181 wrote: Mon May 29, 2023 9:20 am
Gnimmelf wrote:

im runing F96-ce installed as frugall with grub2 - so its from here i need assistance. will try utility - and see if can figure it out on my own.

Here's how I would do, the manual way (I personally never use a program like unetbootin or ventoy etc...), if you have a working grub2 bootloader already installed (assumed you have for booting F96-ce) :
(in theory you can add 1000 frugal installs this way :D )

Where your F96-ce is installed, you can add KLV-Airedale install on the same partition, if you do that :
(or if you install KLV-Airedale on another partition, use the UUID from that, see below (edit: preferable is a ext partition e.g. ext4 formatted))
- Create a folder named, lets say: AIREDALE on that partition (btw, can be any name as long as it matches with the name in the stanza)
- Extract or mount the KLV ISO and copy all the files inside to the just created folder AIREDALE
- Find the grub.cfg that contains your stanza for to boot F96-ce

Yes, that's what I'd do, except I'd use a script provided in the KLV iso that should correctly provide exact grub.cfg stanza for you (or menu.lst for those using grub4dos). The script is wd_grubconfig so once you copied all the iso files into your AIREDALE folder (or whatever you call it - anything really does) then simply run command:

Code: Select all

./wd_grubconfig

That command actually uses blkid internally (just automates some of what fredx181 suggests) and will give you appropriate stanzas for both of grub2 and grub4dos and different one for LABEL or UUID. Since UUID stanza is appropriate here the very last of the four options printed by wd_grubconfig is a grub2 menu stanza that will work without any editing. That script wd_grubconfig also creates a log file of the answers in file grub_config.txt in same folder (that gets updated every time you run the wd_grubconfig command). I used to manually do what fredx181 suggests with blkid, but using the wd_grubconfig script is a quick accurate shortcut in this case. You still need to copy and paste the chosen result into your grub.cfg via an editor of course so you do still need to find where grub.cfg is on your system. In practice, wd_grubconfig is pretty handy - I always use it myself now for finding appropriate initial working grub stanza. You can modify boot options manually thereafter if you so wish by further editing grub.cfg, but for save on demand (called changes RAM2 mode) persistence mode that just works without further editing.

https://www.tinylinux.info/
DOWNLOAD wd_multi for hundreds of 'distros' at your fingertips: viewtopic.php?p=99154#p99154
Αξίζει να μεταφραστεί;

fredx181

Post by fredx181 »

@Gnimmelf No reply ? Some efforts done already in this thread to help.

Gnimmelf

Post by Gnimmelf »

yes i know - if you wanted me to feel guilty - dont worry i already do ;)

i tried most of it - would realy have liked ventoy to succed! i managed to make the intall on an usb -
but the ditroes i tried klv - bookworm - etc all failed. no boot happens... it seems no bootloader is activated - like the boot screen before f.eks F96-ce starts...

i also tried the different frugall and usb stick installer - but i get the message there is no frugall files....

i also tried the different bootloaders but they dont find KLV .... i know my way around F96 - fossapup - bionic - vanilla etc both usb and ssd installs - im running f96-ce from an ssd on a lenovo ideapad gaming 3 at this moment -
but KLV i cannot wrap my head around and i dont know why.... i feel kind of stupid - and am sorry i could not make anything good of all the fine advice... Thanks anyway for trying :thumbup:

Im giving up on this - will wait until new stuff comes i the line of Puppy`s - Jammypup or what will come :thumbup2:

i realy love Puppy Linux and likes to try things out - but im not that much of a tech nerd - so i only understand things untill we get under the hood - terminal and stuff (I can write in comands if someone spels them to me and stuff)

so dont take any of this as crticism - its all on me - keep up the good work!!!

kindly Gnimmelf

Return to “KLV-Airedale”