How to use apt command in bionic32 ?

Moderator: Forum moderators

Banu Heart Envious

How to use apt command in bionic32 ?

Post by Banu Heart Envious »

I'm using an old PC ( P4 only 32bit architecture ) with bionicpup32 linux puppy os, I tried using the apt command but it didn't work, is there any way or solution? I usually use apt to install many applications like openoffice

wiak

Re: How to use apt command in bionic32 ?

Post by wiak »

Banu Heart Envious wrote: Sun May 28, 2023 5:03 am

I'm using an old PC ( P4 only 32bit architecture ) with bionicpup32 linux puppy os, I tried using the apt command but it didn't work, is there any way or solution? I usually use apt to install many applications like openoffice

I'd say the main answer would be 'no'. I did do some experimental usage of apt with bionicpup32 a couple of years ago, but was mainly interested in similar approach with Fossapup, which was successful.

viewtopic.php?p=16601#p16601
https://firstrib.rockedge.org/viewtopic ... 04e28#p335

However, that kind of sfs addon approach of adding apt to bionicpup32 is really not for normal daily use so only really for experimentor-types, rather than for those who want reliable apt ability in older Pups like bionicpup - the fossapup version worked well however and more recent Puppy distros have adopted a very similar approach to add apt and fix some of the inherent issues that need addressed (particularly since upstream Debian/Ubuntu repos expect the underlying distro to use systemd rather than special Puppy Linux init/boot-related scripts).

Anyway, above is just history that documents that it 'could' be done, but would have needed some developing/fine-tuning to make it usable in daily practice as a package manager for BionicPup32 (and I also don't know how well, if at all, Ubuntu still provides support for Bionic 32bit?). In practice, I stopped looking at it or maintaining the approach so that experimental addon is no longer available (I don't even have a copy myself any more).

In practice, and especially since you appear to be a new Puppy BionicPup32 user, I think you should stick to Puppy-provided package management (Puppy Package Manager - PPM) when using BionicPup; in theory it should install Ubuntu apps from the same Ubuntu repos anyway, and BionicPup32 was a pretty fast and efficient distro for older machines such as yours. An advantage of special Puppy apps (often provided in dotpet package format, which Puppy supports) is that sometimes the apps are specially slimmed down to be more efficient; the disadvantage is that some official Ubuntu apps don't work well or have trouble installing via PPM due to missing dependencies - but those that do work, work perfectly well usually.

https://www.tinylinux.info/
DOWNLOAD wd_multi for hundreds of 'distros' at your fingertips: viewtopic.php?p=99154#p99154
Αξίζει να μεταφραστεί;

Banu Heart Envious

Post by Banu Heart Envious »

wiak wrote: Sun May 28, 2023 5:39 am
Banu Heart Envious wrote: Sun May 28, 2023 5:03 am

I'd say the main answer would be 'no'. I did do some experimental usage of apt with bionicpup32 a couple of years ago, but was mainly interested in similar approach with Fossapup, which was successful.

viewtopic.php?p=16601#p16601
https://firstrib.rockedge.org/viewtopic ... 04e28#p335

However, that kind of sfs addon approach of adding apt to bionicpup32 is really not for normal daily use so only really for experimentor-types, rather than for those who want reliable apt ability in older Pups like bionicpup - the fossapup version worked well however and more recent Puppy distros have adopted a very similar approach to add apt and fix some of the inherent issues that need addressed (particularly since upstream Debian/Ubuntu repos expect the underlying distro to use systemd rather than special Puppy Linux init/boot-related scripts).

Anyway, above is just history that documents that it 'could' be done, but would have needed some developing/fine-tuning to make it usable in daily practice as a package manager for BionicPup32 (and I also don't know how well, if at all, Ubuntu still provides support for Bionic 32bit?). In practice, I stopped looking at it or maintaining the approach so that experimental addon is no longer available (I don't even have a copy myself any more).

In practice, and especially since you appear to be a new Puppy BionicPup32 user, I think you should stick to Puppy-provided package management (Puppy Package Manager - PPM) when using BionicPup; in theory it should install Ubuntu apps from the same Ubuntu repos anyway, and BionicPup32 was a pretty fast and efficient distro for older machines such as yours. An advantage of special Puppy apps (often provided in dotpet package format, which Puppy supports) is that sometimes the apps are specially slimmed down to be more efficient; the disadvantage is that some official Ubuntu apps don't work well or have trouble installing via PPM due to missing dependencies - but those that do work, work perfectly well usually.

ahh ... yes I understand now, alright thank you for the explanation my friend, maybe it's time for this machine to be retired hahahaha

bigpup

Post by bigpup »

You need to read this about installing additional software.
viewtopic.php?t=1819

Forum Global Moderator
The things you do not tell us, are usually the clue to fixing the problem.
When I was a kid, I wanted to be older.
This is not what I expected :o

Return to “Bionic”