Corrupted Remastering Process?

versatile 64-bit multi-user Linux distribution

Moderators: kirk, jamesbond, p310don, JakeSFR, step, Forum moderators

Neo_78

Corrupted Remastering Process?

Post by Neo_78 »

Did something recently change regarding the remastering process?

I am trying to write my remastered iso image from a FatDog64-813 DVD to a USB stick with dd for a system that only supports UEFI (no legacy bios), but the system will not boot. It is stuck at the initial BIOs screen that lists available boot devices, lists the USB stick but will not accept it to proceed. The system boots normally from a standard FatDog DVD.

The following steps always produced a UEFI-bootable stick that worked perfectly under the same system:

1. I shred the stick with

Code: Select all

shred -n 2 -vz /dev/sda

2. I make all customizations and create the iso image with the remastering tool for UEFI-only boot. Iso is saved in /tmp folder.

3. I access the /tmp folder and write the iso to the usb-stick:

Code: Select all

dd if=remastered.iso of=/dev/sda bs=4M

This used to create a bootable USB-stick that would show 3 partion icons on the desktop, something like sda, sda1, sda2. However, it will now only show a single usb partition on the desktop sda and the system will not boot from that usb drive.

What am I missing? Is the USB-stick corrupted or is this a problem with the iso generation process?

Thanks a lot for your feedback! :thumbup:

step

Re: Corrupted Remastering Process?

Post by step »

Are you sure it's /dev/sda and not /dev/sdb? To answer your first question, yes, something did change regarding remastering since Fatdog64 813 release, see #5 in viewtopic.php?p=68794#p68794.

P.S I noticed you discussed some remastering issues in viewtopic.php?t=6637. I'm just linking it here should that information be relevant to this inquiry.

Neo_78

Post by Neo_78 »

Thanks @step. The mentioned bug fix solved the problem. I was running a bash script to automatically customize and install my setup, which had not included the mentioned fix yet. Problem solved. :thumbup:

Is it possible to run the remastering process that produces the final iso with customized options from the command line instead of having to use the graphical interface?

step

Post by step »

Neo_78 wrote: Mon Mar 27, 2023 11:23 am

Thanks @step. The mentioned bug fix solved the problem.

Glad you could solve the problem!

Is it possible to run the remastering process that produces the final iso with customized options from the command line instead of having to use the graphical interface?

I'm afraid not. You could try to automate the GUI interaction by means of xdotool, it's a command in the xdotool-2021... package.

Neo_78

Post by Neo_78 »

Found the docs:

https://manpages.ubuntu.com/manpages/tr ... ool.1.html

That's actually a cool idea... :thumbup2:

step

Post by step »

Neo_78 wrote: Mon Mar 27, 2023 7:17 pm

Found the docs:

https://manpages.ubuntu.com/manpages/tr ... ool.1.html

That's a 2013 man page from ubuntu trusty, way too old. This man page is newer, according to the date printed near the end of the page, https://www.mankier.com/1/xdotool.

Return to “FatDog64”