solved! - How to boost audio levels in Fossapup?

Moderators: 666philb, Forum moderators

Gnimmelf

solved! - How to boost audio levels in Fossapup?

Post by Gnimmelf »

on Bionicpup i had succes with boosting audio levels with this suggestion from Ally http://murga-linux.com/puppy/viewtopic.php?t=115613 dowloading the asound.conf.gz as shown. but it doesnt work in fossa?

Is there another way?
Last edited by Gnimmelf on Fri Oct 23, 2020 8:25 pm, edited 2 times in total.
elroy

Re: boosting audio levels

Post by elroy »

I fired up a video in MPV and wondered why I wasn't hearing anything. And then it dawned on me. After years of dealing with Pulse-Audio on Arch-Linux, I realized that I needed to get back to the basics. I opened a terminal window and entered 'alsamixer'. I ended up having to maximized the Master, Speaker, and PCM volumes. After that I could hear.

Addiction is a funny thing - 'cept it's not funny.

Gnimmelf

Re: boosting audio levels

Post by Gnimmelf »

elroy wrote: Mon Oct 19, 2020 3:09 pm I fired up a video in MPV and wondered why I wasn't hearing anything. And then it dawned on me. After years of dealing with Pulse-Audio on Arch-Linux, I realized that I needed to get back to the basics. I opened a terminal window and entered 'alsamixer'. I ended up having to maximized the Master, Speaker, and PCM volumes. After that I could hear.
i want to boost levels beond what the mixer can do! the file in my first post did that in bionic pup......
mikewalsh

Re: How to boost audio levels in Fossapup?

Post by mikewalsh »

@Gnimmelf :-

Out of curiosity, check one thing for me? Fossapup uses Retrovol, like all Phil's Pups.

Right-click on the tray volume icon->Config Window. What have you got 'Volume Scaling' set to, on the 'Main' tab? It's usually set to 'Linear' by default.

Try 'Logarithmic'. It's the one I always use myself; for each 'segment' it moves on the scale, it cranks the volume up a bit more than 'Linear' will.

I've never tried it, but I believe 'Exponential' will take that same principle a step further again...

Gotta be worth a try...and simple to do.

(Having tried the asound.conf file for myself a while back, I've learnt to avoid it like the plague; on MY hardware, it resulted in a broken Alsamixer whenever I attempted to set the 'Pre-amp' level.)

Mike. ;)

Puppy "stuff" ~ MORE Puppy "stuff" ~ ....and MORE! :D

redquine

Post by redquine »

I've just discovered the built-in way of adding a pre-amp to Fossapup. My old lappie is now so loud, I actually have to turn it DOWN. :shock:

From the menu:
  • Settings > Setup > ALSA sound Wizard > Sound Card Wizard 2 (click the tool icon)
  • Select your default sound card
  • Select Equaliser and Software volume control with 20dB preamp
  • ... then click the mixer icon and push everything up to 100. (Have to use the arrow keys for this but it's pretty straightforward.)

As usual with these things, your mileage might vary. ;)
Gnimmelf

Post by Gnimmelf »

That worked! thanks!

Return to “Fossapup64”