New to Puppy and have questions? Start here

Moderator: Forum moderators

gilles

problem zoom meetings

Post by gilles »

Hello,
Fossa 64, computer Acer aspire 7715Z, frugal install

I have problems with zoom https://zoom.us/signin#/login

I installed the zoom desktop client ubuntu there: https://zoom.us/download?os=linux. It doesn't work. So I connect with the browser (vivaldi or Iron). The video does not work well: the image of my webcam works with a delay.
Any solution?

Thanks

xx_T3n0ch_X

Re: problem zoom meetings

Post by xx_T3n0ch_X »

Zoom desktop requires pulseaudio server, "Official" releases do not have it.

You can try this: https://forum.puppylinux.com/viewtopic.php?f=89&t=1983

gilles

Post by gilles »

Thank you

Geek3579

Post by Geek3579 »

I am running Fossapup64 with Pulseaudio, which by the way works very well, apart from Brave Browser crashing it.

I have tried the ZOOM web app a couple of times and while Pupseaudio seems to adjust the microphone/camera volume in the GUI, sound crashed after a fraction of a second of my talking. So I went back to Bionicpup64 with just alsa and mike's latest portable ZOOM which worked fine. Well, thats why I have several frugal installations !

But the same portable ends up with a black screen in Fossapup64. Sigh.

mikewalsh

Post by mikewalsh »

@Geek3579 :-

Geek3579 wrote: Wed Feb 01, 2023 6:55 am

I am running Fossapup64 with Pulseaudio, which by the way works very well, apart from Brave Browser crashing it.

I have tried the ZOOM web app a couple of times and while Pupseaudio seems to adjust the microphone/camera volume in the GUI, sound crashed after a fraction of a second of my talking. So I went back to Bionicpup64 with just alsa and mike's latest portable ZOOM which worked fine. Well, thats why I have several frugal installations !

But the same portable ends up with a black screen in Fossapup64. Sigh.

Huh. For me, it's t'other way round. Zoom-portable works fine in Fossapup64, but gives stuttering, tearing video under Bionicpup64. Mind you, I've long suspected this is somehow related to my GPUs; both current machines run differing vintages of Nvidia chips, so that could have summat to do with it. Plus, my Bionic64 has a long-standing problem with not being able to "see" its own Qt5 stuff.....even when looking straight at it!

Like you, I too find the Zoom webapp is useless under Linux, regardless of browser in use.....but then, I prefer Jitsi 'Meet' anyway. Both the webapp AND the desktop client (which auto-updates) give outstandingly sharp, crystal-clear video.

(Quick bit of useless info here. For any that use Brave, the built-in video chat client is in fact a 're-badged' Jitsi 'Meet'.....the Brave team have obviously "borrowed" the Jitsi open-source code for their client. If you're used to how Jitsi looks, you'll recognise it straight away!) :o

"Horses for courses", I guess...

Mike. ;)

Puppy "stuff" ~ MORE Puppy "stuff" ~ ....and MORE! :D

Geek3579

Post by Geek3579 »

Thanks mike for the webbapp update. I have only been able to make it work in ChromeOS act-alike on a Raspberry Pi4, using the Chromium browser. And then it was a bit laggy, but very useful nevertheless.

I was hoping to use the webapps to avoid the seemingly regular updates of zoom which require installation, or else it refuses to open. Very friendly.

I will now aim to have ONE functional zoom app on one linux OS. MX-Linux has been very good with zoom, but I prefer to use Puppy Linux anyday with the functionality of LXDE .

Return to “Beginners Help”