Moderators: 666philb, Forum moderators

wizard

Re: F96_4-radky6-CE Perfomance Evaluation and Finalization

Post by wizard »

@HerrBert
@radky
@rockedge

CUPS-PDF issue

After some research, here's how I fixed it.

Menu>Setup>CUPS print manager>Manage printers and printing task
Administrattion (tab)>Manage Printers
-click CUPS-PDF, in Que Name
-click Administration
-click Delete Printer

Now when you print you get only "Print to File".
-check the PDF radio button
-click Print

cups-fix.png
cups-fix.png (27.67 KiB) Viewed 923 times

Don't know if this is best solution or has other effects, but seems to work.
Edit: tested creating PDF from Geaney, Abiword, Gnumeric, and Palemoon, all OK

wizard

Last edited by wizard on Tue Jan 17, 2023 1:31 pm, edited 2 times in total.

Big pile of OLD computers

mow9902

Post by mow9902 »

LazyPuppy wrote: Mon Jan 16, 2023 12:19 pm

I just installed F96_4-radky6-CE on my hp laptop. It look very polished, also, dt colors match my machine nicely.
Everything, at first sight, seem working OOTB. Surprisingly, even brightness function keys work, whereas they didn't in fossapup64.
Great job.
Sadly, I had no luck in customizing iptables list, and I'm searching a way for uploading my own lists on the run, when needed. I did it with Tahrpup32 quickly (yes, some people still use Tahr, a real successful puppy) by some xterm commands and sym links.
Also, Brave browser does not even start (Brave-portable.tar.xz), while it worked perfectly on Fossapup64 9.5.
My first impression is positive and I hope in some workaround in order to fix the problems above.
English is not my native language, I apologize for some mistake.

Maybe my FWBuddy app might help? https://forum.puppylinux.com/viewtopic.php?t=7581

Geek3579

Post by Geek3579 »

I prefer an LXDE environment for my home office, so I renamed the ydrv from Fossapup64.95 and added it to the frugal installation.

It works very well, with one exception. Both ROX and PCManFM open any hard drive partition to display blank window. This does not happen with ROX under F96 . Suggestions welcome re the cause or remedy !

rockedge
Site Admin

Post by rockedge »

Both ROX and PCManFM open any hard drive partition to display blank window.

Interesting problem. We'll have to look at the mechanisms. I can I find the ydrv example so I can use it to replicate what you are experiencing?

bigpup

Post by bigpup »

rockedge wrote: Tue Jan 10, 2023 1:54 pm

@bigpup F96 conforms to how Puppy has always operated. It's built from woof-CE. F96 has manual polish and bug fixes.

Go stick with S15 and all the "real" Puppy's because as of now F96 is a proof-of-concept demonstration that has done it's job. Further dev by me is over.

Is this still true or are we back to getting this to a fully working release?

Forum Global Moderator
The things you do not tell us, are usually the clue to fixing the problem.
When I was a kid, I wanted to be older.
This is not what I expected :o

rockedge
Site Admin

Post by rockedge »

@bigpup I'm working today on updating Pkg to Pkg2 and then choosing a name for the release version. I've been using F96 as the host for QEMU machines and have also installed Zoneminder and it's fully functioning as expected.
So have tested some pretty intensive systems and F96 is proving up to the tasks and nice to work with.

We need some summary text soon as well.

Clarity

Post by Clarity »

rockedge wrote: Tue Jan 17, 2023 8:22 pm

... Zoneminder and it's fully functioning as expected....

This, I thin will be welcome to the many of us with LAN cameras scattered around the home.

Looking forward.

rockedge
Site Admin

Post by rockedge »

I am not going to include Zoneminder because there are a lot of pieces to this package. It really should be on a custom installation and with scripts it installs easily. I did some practice runs of installing ZM with the 2 scripts and the setup was reliable.

@Clarity These distro's are designed to be solid system foundations with the tools to expand it's capabilities. What those are or will be are up to the individual user. So these are not going to have everything and the kitchen sink in them. Freedom of Choice.

Jasper

Post by Jasper »

dimkr wrote: Mon Jan 16, 2023 10:10 am

If anyone is still interested in jammy64 development, I strongly recommend you to try the latest bi-weekly development build:

https://github.com/puppylinux-woof-CE/w ... #artifacts

It has a nice selection of lightweight applications and it's quite snappy.

@dimkr I would be interested in trying out this version.

I do not know how to use GitHub and if it is possible could you provide/upload an ISO?

Thanks in advance :thumbup:

MochiMoppel

Post by MochiMoppel »

@rockedge This is a very fine distro and I enjoyed testing it ....until I realized that it doesn't run stable on my old HW. Quite often it would awake from suspend with a black screen, requiring a hard reset.
On the other hand the plain FP96 with a 5.4.53 kernel doesn't show these problems. I therefore tried to use the vmlinuz file of FP96 in F96_4-radky6-CE, but obviously that's not the right way to swap kernels. Is there any way I can use the 5.4.53 kernel in F96_radky?

wiak

Post by wiak »

Jasper wrote: Wed Jan 18, 2023 6:36 am

If anyone is still interested in jammy64 development, I strongly recommend you to try the latest bi-weekly development build:

I do not know how to use GitHub and if it is possible could you provide/upload an ISO?

At the moment I notice it is a .zip file download; presumably for making a frugal installation into a folder.
To download I believe you need to create a github login; I don't think that is always the case but seems matters have been set up here such that github login is required for this asset/download. Certainly you don't need to understand how to use git to get a login. Once you login you can click on the Asset to download it. Without a login, yes, it is a bit weird being sent to a page and nothing you click on will download anything! :-) Problem really, if you think about it, is that that is not new-user friendly resource even though the facility is otherwise excellent.
I downloaded out of curiousity and there is actually an iso inside the zip. I'll try booting it from Ventoy quickly.
EDIT: Didn't boot from Ventoy; Clarity wouldn't be happy. I'll try booting with Qemu since I'm working with that at the moment anyway. EDIT2: upup Jammy iso booted fine with Qemu; see my next post about that.

https://www.tinylinux.info/
DOWNLOAD wd_multi for hundreds of 'distros' at your fingertips: viewtopic.php?p=99154#p99154
Αξίζει να μεταφραστεί;

peebee

Post by peebee »

Jasper wrote: Wed Jan 18, 2023 6:36 am

Thanks in advance :thumbup:

I have done a "pre-release" which makes the .iso publically available - n.b. Github downloads can be painfully slow!........

https://github.com/peabee/woof-CE/relea ... e-10.0.iso

Builder of LxPups, SPups, UPup32s, VoidPups; LXDE, LXQt, Xfce addons; Chromium, Firefox etc. sfs; & Kernels

wiak

Post by wiak »

wiak wrote: Wed Jan 18, 2023 9:42 am

I downloaded out of curiousity and there is actually an iso inside the zip. I'll try booting it from Ventoy quickly.
EDIT: Didn't boot from Ventoy; Clarity wouldn't be happy. I'll try booting with Qemu since I'm working with that at the moment anyway.

upup Jammy booted fine via Qemu. I'm posting from it now.
It is pretty good actually. Quite traditional Puppy in feel, but good thing in my opinion is that it includes apt and also pulseaudio.
Some nice app selection in a small download indeed and resource efficient.

I have two small niggles: First, one that applies to several Pups, but not all for some reason - the select timezone dropdown is a huge long apparently having to scroll down list. Ok, the pain of it is over soonish, but I've seen other Pups that allow much quicker timezone entry location - why is this slow alternative adopted (and presumably the one in woof-CE)?
The second thing I don't like, is more of a personal dislike: Palemoon as the browser. Not my cup of tea at all. Used to crash a lot when I've used it or went CPU resource crazy - maybe it is fine now, but once bitten long-time shy.

Anyway, other than that, it is refreshing to play on a Jammy-based Pup. Having said that I've tried F96-radky CE too and there is something very polished about it compared to old Fossapup, so it is a handy distro to have, In particular it has some better tools, such as Frugalpup, which upup Jammy doesn't seem to have or anything similar? For me at least all these grub-related and whatever maintenance tools are pretty important if a Pup is to prove particularly useful to have hanging around. The wee apps like Abiword and Gnumeric, not so much nowadays, but XJournal+ probably a nice inclusion I see in upup Jammy.

https://www.tinylinux.info/
DOWNLOAD wd_multi for hundreds of 'distros' at your fingertips: viewtopic.php?p=99154#p99154
Αξίζει να μεταφραστεί;

Phil_54

Post by Phil_54 »

@MochiMoppel

MochiMoppel wrote: Wed Jan 18, 2023 6:44 am

@rockedge This is a very fine distro and I enjoyed testing it ....until I realized that it doesn't run stable on my old HW. Quite often it would awake from suspend with a black screen, requiring a hard reset.
On the other hand the plain FP96 with a 5.4.53 kernel doesn't show these problems. I therefore tried to use the vmlinuz file of FP96 in F96_4-radky6-CE, but obviously that's not the right way to swap kernels. Is there any way I can use the 5.4.53 kernel in F96_radky?

I am very interested in finding a way to suspend my old ex-chromebook when using any puppy (current favourite is F96_4-radky6-CE). I am nervous of changing kernels, but it seems using quickpet fossa from the setup menu is the way to go. I downloaded 5.4.53 via that, but having recently crashed my system and getting into trouble with booting anything I am reluctant to try it just yet.

I have tried so many variants of suspend commands and advice from searching but although suspend seems to work, ie powered down and slow flashing light, resume always fails and reboots.
I can suspend happily from KLV_Airedale beta 19, and my bespoke beta19/rc6.1 that wiak helped me with, although it seems occasionally to fail.
All resumes in puppy result in reboot, thus that may result in errors on the system because of not shutting down properly.
'dmesg' fails and errors are too complex for me to evaluate.
Any advice welcome (separate thread elsewhere/PM?), but I know my chromebook is peculiar in its habits.

Edit 19 Jan 23: Tried quickpet successfully thanks to encouragement from mikesir and rockedge. However suspend failed by rebooting on resume. Currently have a 'freeze' script rather than 'mem', which lets me resume, but battery discharge still heavy over a couple of hours.

Last edited by Phil_54 on Thu Jan 19, 2023 11:57 am, edited 2 times in total.

2013 Toshiba chromebook, 2Gb ram, and SDcard :geek:

rockedge
Site Admin

Post by rockedge »

@MochiMoppel Thank you for testing F94_4-radky6-CE, I also am using it as my main system, especially useful in building KLV type distros and experimenting with compiling different packages.

Changing the kernel or possibly the zdrv and or the fdrv SFS's should return the lid closed suspend functions. This is the challenge, to find the right combination of kernel - modules - firmware that will work well on a wide range of machines.

Try using the change_kernels GUI from Menu->Setup->quickpet fossa and either use the huge kernel tarball or using the GUI's second method, add each file individually. This gives more versatility when piecing together a kernel. In a terninal : change_kernels.

In your case it is just as easy to do the swap manually. Use the 5.4.53 from the installation you already have or download it:
huge-5.4.53-fossapup64.tar.bz2
huge-5.4.53-fossapup64.tar.bz2.md5.txt

The most important part is to name the zdrv SFS and also the fdrv correctly. This is hard-coded in the initrd.gz
Rename the files after extraction from:

Screenshot(14).jpg
Screenshot(14).jpg (17.67 KiB) Viewed 1036 times

To :

Screenshot(15).jpg
Screenshot(15).jpg (16.22 KiB) Viewed 1036 times

Then swap these into place replacing the current versions in the system root. The existing fdrv SFS should work if not use the fdrv SFS that matches the kernel 5.4.53

wizard

Post by wizard »

@rockedge

We need some summary text soon as well.

I think this is what you are refering to, if not give a little more direction.

Here's a start. Don't know if Distrowatch has a word count maximum, but this is close to the context count for S15.

F96 Release Notes draft.

Puppy F96 is based on the popular Fossapup64 9.5 (Ubuntu base) with many enhancements. It is small, light and fast, running completely in ram, and can be installed on internal drives, USB devices, SD cards, DVD or CD. It can also be installed on the same drive partition with MS Windows or other Linux distributions. Some of the upgraded features include:
-Newer 6.0.12 kernel
-Pulse audio
-Blueman (bluetooth control)
-Conman (network connect manager)

You will find F96 is amazingly complete OOTB with most used programs like a Word processor, Spreadsheet, Media player, Web browser, Password manager and File managers. All together, over 120 programs and utilities in 12 categories in its menus.

Thanks
wizard

Big pile of OLD computers

keniv

Post by keniv »

@peebee

I have done a "pre-release" which makes the .iso publically available - n.b. Github downloads can be painfully slow!........

https://github.com/peabee/woof-CE/relea ... e-10.0.iso

Thanks for the above link. The download speed was not too bad at about 2.5MB/s. I have done a manual frugal install on sda2 which is formatted as ext3. I'm booting using grub4dos. I am using an adapted script from that which I used to boot FossaPup.

Code: Select all

title JammyPup 10 (64bit) (sda2/10jammypup64)
  find --set-root uuid () 60e6917a-e1db-44f9-8d58-6f0df737eeb5
  kernel /10jammypup64/vmlinuz  psubdir=/10jammypup64 pmedia=atahd pfix=fsck
  initrd /10jammypup64/initrd.gz

So far I have made a small savefile ( I know but I like them), done some setting up including the browser and installed pwidgets. I am posting from it now. I have noticed two things.
1. The firewall icon appeared as green and seemed to be setup at first boot but could not have been setup as I hadn't done it. It did not appear after first reboot but did after I set it up.
2. There is no drive icon in the tray i.e. the one that tells you the size of the savefile.
I'm also now wondering if this post should really be in this thread but I don't see a jammypup thread under Fossapup64.

Regards,

Ken.
Edit: Drive icon in tray reappeared after reboot :oops:

Last edited by keniv on Wed Jan 18, 2023 6:45 pm, edited 1 time in total.
mikeslr

Post by mikeslr »

Marv

Post by Marv »

Geek3579 wrote: Tue Jan 17, 2023 9:15 am

I prefer an LXDE environment for my home office, so I renamed the ydrv from Fossapup64.95 and added it to the frugal installation.

It works very well, with one exception. Both ROX and PCManFM open any hard drive partition to display blank window. This does not happen with ROX under F96 . Suggestions welcome re the cause or remedy !

I hadn't really pursued LXDE under FP96_4-radky6-CE but had had a brief go earlier using @peebees' ydrv from fossapup64-9.5. Stopped when I couldn't get drives_on_desktop to work. Based on your post I had another go based on that same ydrv. At this point I have both a ydrv driven JWM install and a ydrv driven LXDE install, both using only the main SFS and my ydrv and the the 6.1.5 64b kernel with lib setup for ubuntu pups. Both are solid. The JWM flavor doesn't handle the sda1 and sda2 trashcans well but I have a workaround in it. Links to Desktop still open to ROX. Not many other quirks. The extra libs are PCManFm related here.
The LXDE flavour is nice and solid except that I haven't gotten drives_on_desktop to work, I simply put symlinks on the desktop for now.. I have them working in fossapup64-9.5, VoidPup64, and S15Pup64 but not here. gvfs was a bit of a pain to install but with it the trash works perfectly and in general PCManFM is happier.

I don't know which flavour I prefer right now but either is step up from my savefile-less fossapup64-9.5 installs.

Pretty much what I have added to each ydrv is below. Starting basically from scratch in JWM and from the peebee fossapup64 9.5 ydrv in the LXDE case:

JWM (8.0 MB ydrv size):

libfm4_1.3.1-1|libfm4|1.3.1-1||BuildingBlock|356K|pool/universe/libf/libfm|libfm4_1.3.1-1_amd64.deb|+libc6&ge2.14,+libdbus-glib-1-2&ge0.78,+libexif12&ge0.6.21-1,+libglib2.0-0&ge2.37.3,+libmenu-cache3&ge0.5.0,+libfm-data&ge1.2.0,+lxmenu-data|file management support core library|ubuntu|focal|
libfm-data_1.3.1-1|libfm-data|1.3.1-1||Filesystem;filemanager|1521K|pool/universe/libf/libfm|libfm-data_1.3.1-1_all.deb||file management support common data|ubuntu|focal|
libfm-extra4_1.3.1-1|libfm-extra4|1.3.1-1||BuildingBlock|71K|pool/universe/libf/libfm|libfm-extra4_1.3.1-1_amd64.deb|+libc6&ge2.4,+libglib2.0-0&ge2.37.3|file management support extra library|ubuntu|focal|
libfm-gtk4_1.3.1-1|libfm-gtk4|1.3.1-1||BuildingBlock|476K|pool/universe/libf/libfm|libfm-gtk4_1.3.1-1_amd64.deb|+libatk1.0-0&ge1.12.4,+libc6&ge2.7,+libcairo2&ge1.2.4,+libfm4&eq1.3.1-1,+libgdk-pixbuf2.0-0&ge2.22.0,+libglib2.0-0&ge2.37.3,+libgtk2.0-0&ge2.24.0,+libmenu-cache3&ge0.4.0,+libpango-1.0-0&ge1.20.0,+libfm-gtk-data&ge1.2.0|file management support GTK+ 2.0 GUI library|ubuntu|focal|
libfm-gtk-data_1.3.1-1|libfm-gtk-data|1.3.1-1||BuildingBlock|161K|pool/universe/libf/libfm|libfm-gtk-data_1.3.1-1_all.deb||file management support GTK+ library common data|ubuntu|focal|
libmenu-cache3_1.1.0-1|libmenu-cache3|1.1.0-1||Desktop|59K|pool/universe/m/menu-cache|libmenu-cache3_1.1.0-1_amd64.deb|+libc6&ge2.7,+libglib2.0-0&ge2.31.8,+libmenu-cache-bin&ge0.7.0|LXDE implementation of the freedesktop Menus cache|ubuntu|focal|
libmenu-cache-bin_1.1.0-1|libmenu-cache-bin|1.1.0-1||Desktop|101K|pool/universe/m/menu-cache|libmenu-cache-bin_1.1.0-1_amd64.deb|+libc6&ge2.7,+libfm-extra4&ge1.2.0,+libglib2.0-0&ge2.24.0|LXDE implementation of the freedesktop Menus cache libexec|ubuntu|focal|
lxmenu-data_0.1.5-2|lxmenu-data|0.1.5-2||Desktop|188K|pool/universe/l/lxmenu-data|lxmenu-data_0.1.5-2_all.deb||LXDE freedesktop.org menu specification|ubuntu|focal|
pcmanfm_1.3.1-1|pcmanfm|1.3.1-1||Filesystem;filemanager|1589K|pool/universe/p/pcmanfm|pcmanfm_1.3.1-1_amd64.deb|+libatk1.0-0&ge1.12.4,+libc6&ge2.14,+libcairo2&ge1.2.4,+libfm-gtk4&ge1.2.0,+libfm4&ge1.2.0,+libgdk-pixbuf2.0-0&ge2.22.0,+libglib2.0-0&ge2.37.3,+libgtk2.0-0&ge2.24.0,+libpango-1.0-0&ge1.20.0,+libpangocairo-1.0-0&ge1.14.0,+libx11-6,+shared-mime-info|extremely fast and lightweight file manager|ubuntu|focal|
galculator_2.1.4|galculator|2.1.4|1build1|Business;calc|1469K|pool/universe/g/galculator|galculator_2.1.4-1build1_amd64.deb|+libc6&ge2.14,+libglib2.0-0&ge2.16.0,+libgtk-3-0&ge3.3.16,+libpango-1.0-0&ge1.14.0,+libquadmath0&ge4.6|scientific calculator|ubuntu|focal|
lxtask_0.1.9-1|lxtask|0.1.9-1||BuildingBlock|441K|pool/universe/l/lxtask|lxtask_0.1.9-1_amd64.deb|+libc6&ge2.7,+libglib2.0-0&ge2.14.0,+libgtk2.0-0&ge2.14.0|LXDE task manager|ubuntu|focal|
mtpaint_3.40-3|mtpaint|3.40-3||Graphic|1755K|pool/universe/m/mtpaint|mtpaint_3.40-3_amd64.deb|+libc6&ge2.14,+libfreetype6&ge2.2.1,+libgdk-pixbuf2.0-0&ge2.22.0,+libgif7&ge5.1,+libglib2.0-0&ge2.31.8,+libgtk2.0-0&ge2.24.0,+libjpeg8&ge8c,+libpango-1.0-0&ge1.14.0,+libpng16-16&ge1.6.2-1,+libtiff5&ge4.0.3,+libx11-6,+zlib1g&ge1.2.0,+gtklp|painting program to create pixel art and manipulate digital photos|ubuntu|focal|
pupmd5sum-1.8|pupmd5sum|1.8||Utility|44K||pupmd5sum-1.8.pet||Calculate MD5sum||||
lx_right_clicks-0.7|lx_right_clicks|0.7||Desktop|108K||lx_right_clicks-0.7.pet||Make/Edit Shortcut||||
Pup-SysInfo-3.6|Pup-SysInfo|3.6||System|256K||Pup-SysInfo-3.6.pet||System information utility||||
Evince_2.32|Evince_2.32|||Document|1572K||Evince_2.32.pet||View multi-page documents|void|current||

LXDE (21.4 MB ydrv size):

lx_right_clicks-0.7|lx_right_clicks|0.7||Desktop|108K||lx_right_clicks-0.7.pet||Make/Edit Shortcut||||
libudisks2-0_2.8.4|libudisks2-0|2.8.4|1ubuntu2|BuildingBlock|543K|pool/main/u/udisks2|libudisks2-0_2.8.4-1ubuntu2_amd64.deb|+libc6&ge2.4,+libglib2.0-0&ge2.50|GObject based library to access udisks2|ubuntu|focal|
udisks2_2.8.4|udisks2|2.8.4|1ubuntu2|Utility|1128K|pool/main/u/udisks2|udisks2_2.8.4-1ubuntu2_amd64.deb|+dbus,+libblockdev-part2,+libblockdev-swap2,+libblockdev-loop2,+libblockdev-fs2,+libpam-systemd,+parted,+udev,+libacl1&ge2.2.23,+libatasmart4&ge0.13,+libblockdev-utils2&ge2.20,+libblockdev2&ge2.20,+libc6&ge2.7,+libglib2.0-0&ge2.50,+libgudev-1.0-0&ge165,+libmount1&ge2.30,+libpolkit-agent-1-0&ge0.99,+libpolkit-gobject-1-0&ge0.101,+libsystemd0&ge209,+libudisks2-0&ge2.8.3|D-Bus service to access and manipulate storage devices|ubuntu|focal|
libpolkit-gobject-1-0_0.105|libpolkit-gobject-1-0|0.105|26ubuntu1|BuildingBlock|156K|pool/main/p/policykit-1|libpolkit-gobject-1-0_0.105-26ubuntu1_amd64.deb|+libc6&ge2.7,+libglib2.0-0&ge2.37.3,+libsystemd0&ge213|PolicyKit Authorization API|ubuntu|focal|
lsof_4.93.2+dfsg|lsof|4.93.2+dfsg|1||||lsof_4.93.2+dfsg-1_amd64.deb|||
libgcr-base-3-1_3.36.0|libgcr-base-3-1|3.36.0|2build1|BuildingBlock|699K|pool/main/g/gcr|libgcr-base-3-1_3.36.0-2build1_amd64.deb|+libgck-1-0&eq3.36.0,+libc6&ge2.28,+libgcrypt20&ge1.8.0,+libglib2.0-0&ge2.44.0,+libp11-kit0&ge0.23.18.1|Library for Crypto related tasks|ubuntu|focal|
libpolkit-agent-1-0_0.105|libpolkit-agent-1-0|0.105|26ubuntu1|BuildingBlock|78K|pool/main/p/policykit-1|libpolkit-agent-1-0_0.105-26ubuntu1_amd64.deb|+libc6&ge2.4,+libglib2.0-0&ge2.37.3,+libpolkit-gobject-1-0&eq0.105|PolicyKit Authentication Agent API|ubuntu|focal|
libblockdev-swap2_2.23|libblockdev-swap2|2.23|2ubuntu3|BuildingBlock|43K|pool/main/libb/libblockdev|libblockdev-swap2_2.23-2ubuntu3_amd64.deb|+libblkid1&ge2.23.0,+libblockdev-utils2&ge2.20,+libc6&ge2.4,+libglib2.0-0&ge2.42.2|Swap plugin for libblockdev|ubuntu|focal|
libgck-1-0_3.36.0|libgck-1-0|3.36.0|2build1|BuildingBlock|266K|pool/main/g/gcr|libgck-1-0_3.36.0-2build1_amd64.deb|+libc6&ge2.14,+libglib2.0-0&ge2.44.0,+libp11-kit0&ge0.23.18.1|Glib wrapper library for PKCS#11 - runtime|ubuntu|focal|
libblockdev-utils2_2.23|libblockdev-utils2|2.23|2ubuntu3|Fun|60K|pool/main/libb/libblockdev|libblockdev-utils2_2.23-2ubuntu3_amd64.deb|+libc6&ge2.6,+libglib2.0-0&ge2.42.2,+libkmod2&ge5,+libudev1&ge216|Utility functions for libblockdev|ubuntu|focal|
libblockdev-part-err2_2.23|libblockdev-part-err2|2.23|2ubuntu3|Fun|35K|pool/main/libb/libblockdev|libblockdev-part-err2_2.23-2ubuntu3_amd64.deb|+libc6&ge2.3,+libglib2.0-0&ge2.42.2|Partition error utility functions for libblockdev|ubuntu|focal|
gvfs-libs_1.44.1|gvfs-libs|1.44.1|1ubuntu1|Filesystem|451K|pool/main/g/gvfs|gvfs-libs_1.44.1-1ubuntu1_amd64.deb|+gsettings-desktop-schemas&ge3.33.0,+gvfs-common&eq1.44.1,+libc6&ge2.28,+libgcr-base-3-1&ge3.8.0,+libglib2.0-0&ge2.57.2,+libsecret-1-0&ge0.7|userspace virtual filesystem - private libraries|ubuntu|focal|
libblockdev-part2_2.23|libblockdev-part2|2.23|2ubuntu3|Utility|64K|pool/main/libb/libblockdev|libblockdev-part2_2.23-2ubuntu3_amd64.deb|+libblockdev-part-err2&ge2.14,+libblockdev-utils2&ge2.20,+libc6&ge2.29,+libglib2.0-0&ge2.42.2,+libparted2&ge3.1,+gdisk&ge0.8.6|Partitioning plugin for libblockdev|ubuntu|focal|
libblockdev2_2.23|libblockdev2|2.23|2ubuntu3|BuildingBlock|207K|pool/main/libb/libblockdev|libblockdev2_2.23-2ubuntu3_amd64.deb|+libblockdev-utils2&ge2.14,+libc6&ge2.4,+libglib2.0-0&ge2.42.2|Library for manipulating block devices|ubuntu|focal|
libatasmart4_0.19|libatasmart4|0.19|5||||libatasmart4_0.19-5_amd64.deb|||
libblockdev-fs2_2.23|libblockdev-fs2|2.23|2ubuntu3|Filesystem;filemanager|81K|pool/main/libb/libblockdev|libblockdev-fs2_2.23-2ubuntu3_amd64.deb|+libblkid1&ge2.24.2,+libblockdev-part-err2&ge2.14,+libblockdev-utils2&ge2.20,+libc6&ge2.7,+libglib2.0-0&ge2.42.2,+libmount1&ge2.30.2,+libparted-fs-resize0&ge3.1,+libparted2&ge3.1,+e2fsprogs|file system plugin for libblockdev|ubuntu|focal|
gvfs-daemons_1.44.1|gvfs-daemons|1.44.1|1ubuntu1|Network|563K|pool/main/g/gvfs|gvfs-daemons_1.44.1-1ubuntu1_amd64.deb|+gvfs-common&eq1.44.1,+gvfs-libs&eq1.44.1,+lsof,+udisks2,+libc6&ge2.14,+libglib2.0-0&ge2.61.2,+libgudev-1.0-0&ge147,+libsecret-1-0&ge0.7,+libsystemd0,+libudisks2-0&ge2.0.91|userspace virtual filesystem - servers|ubuntu|focal|
libblockdev-loop2_2.23|libblockdev-loop2|2.23|2ubuntu3|BuildingBlock|34K|pool/main/libb/libblockdev|libblockdev-loop2_2.23-2ubuntu3_amd64.deb|+libblockdev-utils2&ge2.14,+libc6&ge2.27,+libglib2.0-0&ge2.42.2|Loop device plugin for libblockdev|ubuntu|focal|
gvfs-common_1.44.1|gvfs-common|1.44.1|1ubuntu1|Filesystem|172K|pool/main/g/gvfs|gvfs-common_1.44.1-1ubuntu1_all.deb|+desktop-file-utils|userspace virtual filesystem - common data files|ubuntu|focal|
gdisk_1.0.5|gdisk|1.0.5|1||||gdisk_1.0.5-1_amd64.deb|||
gvfs_1.44.1|gvfs|1.44.1|1ubuntu1|Filesystem|408K|pool/main/g/gvfs|gvfs_1.44.1-1ubuntu1_amd64.deb|+gvfs-common&eq1.44.1,+gvfs-daemons,+gvfs-daemons&ge1.44.1,+gvfs-libs&eq1.44.1,+libc6&ge2.14,+libglib2.0-0&ge2.61.2|userspace virtual filesystem - GIO module|ubuntu|focal|
clipit-1.4.2-x86_64|clipit|1.4.2-x86_64||Setup|2864K||clipit-1.4.2-x86_64.pet||Clipboard Manager|ubuntu|trusty||
lxtask_0.1.9|lxtask|0.1.9|1|System|||lxtask_0.1.9-1_amd64.deb||Manage running processes|
pupmd5sum-1.8|pupmd5sum|1.8||Utility|44K||pupmd5sum-1.8.pet||Calculate MD5sum||||
Pup-SysInfo-3.6|Pup-SysInfo|3.6||System|256K||Pup-SysInfo-3.6.pet||System information utility||||
mtpaint_3.40|mtpaint|3.40|3|Graphic|||mtpaint_3.40-3_amd64.deb||painting program to create pixel art and manipulate digital photos|
desktop_drive_icons_x86_64-0.0.5|desktop_drive_icons_x86_64|0.0.5||BuildingBlock|80K||desktop_drive_icons_x86_64-0.0.5.pet||no description provided|slackware|current||
galculator_2.1.4|galculator|2.1.4|1build1|Business;calc|1469K|pool/universe/g/galculator|galculator_2.1.4-1build1_amd64.deb|+libc6&ge2.14,+libglib2.0-0&ge2.16.0,+libgtk-3-0&ge3.3.16,+libpango-1.0-0&ge1.14.0,+libquadmath0&ge4.6|scientific calculator|ubuntu|focal|
Evince_2.32|Evince_2.32|||Document|1572K||Evince_2.32.pet||View multi-page documents|void|current||

I may have missed something but both are solid dailys at this point and I guess if there's a point to this it is that the F96 radky6 core system is a wonderful base to build on, well worth getting out of the birth canal.

Cheers,

Just fired up @mikewalshs' portable Audacity 2.1.2 in the JWM flavour above to make an inverse RIAA test file for a preamp. Ran OOTB, set up a .desktop, and made and saved the file needed. Real work...

My pups: LxPupSc64 and Voidpup64 with LXDE ydrv & synaptics touchpad drivers, both using savefiles. Ydrv based Jammypup64 (JWM), Bookworm64, Fossapup23 & FossapupFire (LXDE/PCManFM). No savefiles, no fdrvs there. :thumbup:

bigpup

Post by bigpup »

The Conky display on the desktop.

To me it was updating the displayed items to much, every second or so.
To me it was a distracting flashing display.

So I changed the Update interval in seconds to a longer time period before updating.

In JWMDesk -> Conky Settings -> Edit conkyrc

Line 7 and 8 changed the update_interval to 10

# Update interval in seconds
update_interval 10

Now the Conky display updates every 10 seconds and no longer looks like a bunch of constantly changing displayed items.

Forum Global Moderator

MochiMoppel

Post by MochiMoppel »

rockedge wrote: Wed Jan 18, 2023 2:33 pm

In your case it is just as easy to do the swap manually. Use the 5.4.53 from the installation you already have <..snip..>
The most important part is to name the zdrv SFS and also the fdrv correctly. This is hard-coded in the initrd.gz

Thanks. I now swapped vmlinz,zdrv and fdrv. Naming is no problem as names in both FP96 flavors are the same. First impression is that it works. Let's see if it persists.

In boths flavors there was one issue that drove me nuts: I'm used to select text with the mouse and paste it with the middle button, i.e. I use the Primary selection, not the clipboard whenever possible. This does not work OOTB. Sometimes it worked after some time, then the next moment it didn't. I now found that checking the "Use Primary Selection" checkbox in the Clipit Preferences dialog seems to enable this functionality, but still I find this odd because AFAIK pasting the Primary selection should work even without a clipboard manager running.

Marv

Post by Marv »

@dimkr

Is the change from having /lib a directory to having it a symlink to /usr/lib a ubuntu thing or is it a puppy decision? I usually carry the one firmware item I need for all my laptops and the regulatory.db files there in my ydrvs and the symlink rather than the directory structure was a bit of a surprise on my first test of jammypup64 10. I kind of liked it being simple and separate from the /usr/lib morass since it only contained system level files, not usr files.

Thanks,

My pups: LxPupSc64 and Voidpup64 with LXDE ydrv & synaptics touchpad drivers, both using savefiles. Ydrv based Jammypup64 (JWM), Bookworm64, Fossapup23 & FossapupFire (LXDE/PCManFM). No savefiles, no fdrvs there. :thumbup:

dimkr

Post by dimkr »

Marv wrote: Thu Jan 19, 2023 4:32 am

Is the change from having /lib a directory to having it a symlink to /usr/lib a ubuntu thing or is it a puppy decision?

Both. Ubuntu, like most major distros, has switched to this new layout long ago. In the past, distros used to customize packages that hardcode /bin/x although the application sits in /usr/bin/x (or vice versa), but now these patches are going away (because they're pointless when it's the same directory) and many packages simply don't work if you force the old layout. Yes, you can build an Ubuntu-based Puppy without those symlinks, but many applications (including those you install via apt/Synaptic) will fail at run time.

Pick your battles :)

(Debian is an odd case, it still supports the old layout. As far as I understand, the new layout will be mandatory in Debian 12, and that's why all my dpup builds including the Debian 11 based ones already use the new layout. Once Debian stops supporting the old layout, it will probably become even more broken and Ubuntu will inherit packages that don't support it.)

dimkr

Post by dimkr »

Forgot to mention: it's configurable. If you understand the consequences, you can build jammy64 without the /usr symlinks.

https://github.com/puppylinux-woof-CE/w ... d.conf#L38

bigpup

Post by bigpup »

To test the devx and kernel sources sfs's
kernel_sources-6.0.12-FP.sfs
devx_fossapup64_9.6.sfs

Loaded them using SFS Load.

Used a nvidia driver run package that I have used in other Puppy versions to be sure any problems are not caused by it.
I know this run package can build a working Nvidia driver.

Got everything setup correctly to run the driver build.

Building the driver fails with errors. No good driver module is created.

Here is the installer log showing what is happening.

nvidia installer log.zip
(15.28 KiB) Downloaded 29 times

This is the installer log from Fossapup64 9.5 using this same Nvidia driver run package.
Driver compiled and working in it.

fossapup64 9.5 nvidia installer log.zip
(6.01 KiB) Downloaded 27 times

Forum Global Moderator

bigpuppyfan

Post by bigpuppyfan »

@bigpup

Haven't looked at the devx 9.6, but on fossapup64 9.5 I often update the kernel, getting it from the kernel-kit. When I tried to compile the nvidia driver, it complained that the compiler version was different from the one used to build the kernel. The log you've attached seems to display the same error. So I updated gcc to the version that was displayed and the error was gone. Essentially, the devx sometimes also has to be updated when updating the kernel.

dimkr

Post by dimkr »

@bigpuppyfan True, that's why the 5.4.x kernels at https://github.com/puppylinux-woof-CE/w ... el-kit.yml are built in an Ubuntu 20.04 container. This way, focal64 woof-CE builds have the same GCC version used to build the kernel. (4.19.x kernels, as featured in BionicPup, are built in an Ubuntu 18.04 container for the same reason.)

fr-ke

Post by fr-ke »

Line artefacts when building pages and sometimes when scrolling.

Not all applications are affected, but e.g. qpdfview 0.4.18, Seamonkey-portable64 V 2.53.15.

Video Specs
VGA controller: Intel Corporation CoffeeLake-S GT2 [UHD Graphics 630] (rev 02) (prog-if 00 [VGA controller]
DeviceName: Onboard - Video

In fossapup64.9.5 and bionicpup64 this phenomenon does not occur.

I've been looking around for a while and tried a few things. In another forum, which I can't remember anymore, I found the hint for settings.
Copy the 20.intel.conf file to /etc/X11/xorg.conf.d/20-intel.conf.
file attached, remove fake.gz

After restarting the graphics server, the stripes were gone. I haven't noticed any disadvantages so far.
Picom started with Vsync checked does the job too.

All attempts made with untouched frugal installations on bare metal.

A little thing: Volume is set to 100% by default. With earphones, the welcome barkbark is painful as a result.

20-intel.conf.gz
(222 Bytes) Downloaded 28 times
fr-ke

Post by fr-ke »

Ghostscript 9.50 lacks the substitution fonts

gs -sDEVICE=tiff24nc -r500x500 -o "$EXTRACTPATH/a.tif" "$PDFNAME" brings the error message

Substituting font Helvetica-BoldOblique for Arial-BoldItalicMT.
Can't find (or can't open) font file /usr/share/ghostscript/9.50/Resource/Font/NimbusSans-BoldItalic.

The /usr/share/ghostscript/9.50/Resource/Font directory is empty.

After years of using the command in Bionicpup,
then copied the fonts from bionicpup64-8 and now the above command works.

Installing gsfonts_8.11+urwcyr1.0.7~pre44-4.4_all.deb did not bring the desired result.
The fonts seem to be in the package under /usr/share/fonts/type1/gsfonts.
I did not manage to convert them into real names as expected by GS.

radky

Post by radky »

fr-ke wrote:

Line artefacts when building pages and sometimes when scrolling.

Not all applications are affected, but e.g. qpdfview 0.4.18, Seamonkey-portable64 V 2.53.15.

Video Specs
VGA controller: Intel Corporation CoffeeLake-S GT2 [UHD Graphics 630] (rev 02) (prog-if 00 [VGA controller]
DeviceName: Onboard - Video

Display artifacts (or instability) may be an issue for some older intel video chips that do not support the default 'sna' intel acceleration. Changing to 'uxa' acceleration can be helpful for these old intel video chips. In this scenario, the user can manually add the /etc/X11/xorg.conf.d/20-intel.conf with the following contents:

Section "Device" 
  Identifier "Card0" 
  Driver "intel" 
  Option "AccelMethod" "uxa" 
EndSection

Alternatively, for old Intel chips requiring uxa acceleration, Puppy will automatically create /etc/X11/xorg.conf.d/20-intel.conf after the user adds one of the following boot parameters to the kernel command line:

inteluxa
intel_uxa
uxa

https://oldforum.puppylinux.com/viewtop ... b#p1017784

---

fr-ke wrote:

A little thing: Volume is set to 100% by default. With earphones, the welcome barkbark is painful as a result.

It seems the initial first-boot audio volume may be high, intermediate or low depending on system specs. Some users report low audio volume on first boot. I have two laptops for which the initial audio volume is 50% of maximum. Maybe one of our audiophile forum members will provide additional advice.

---

fr-ke wrote:

Ghostscript 9.50 lacks the substitution fonts ...

Can't find (or can't open) font file /usr/share/ghostscript/9.50/Resource/Font/NimbusSans-BoldItalic.

Although these substitution fonts are included in Phil's original BionicPup64 8.0, they are absent in Fossapup64 9.5 and Fossapup64 9.6.
Adding them now would increase the current iso size by more than 4 MB.
Should the fonts be included in F96, or perhaps available as an optional addon pet package ??

Return to “Fossapup64”