How to disable cpu fan ?

New to Puppy and have questions? Start here

Moderator: Forum moderators

Alwayswrong

How to disable cpu fan ?

Post by Alwayswrong »

I would love using linux but I cant because EVERY linux dist spins my cpu fan to loud. My computer shall be silent as all my other tools, otherwise that laptop is wrong tool and must be discarded. I will and have smashed laptops to pieces, noise is the benchmark I use when it is time to buy new laptop. In windows there is a software named fancontrol and i have my cpu fan always disabled in windows except when compiling larger high resolution instruction videos during night, i just throw out the laptop outside and let it noise while sleeping and it keeps the animals away from my lawn. Temperature throttling for noob users watching movies and browsing is extremely exagerated and only proves poor maintenance.

I have no interest configuring lmsensors or debating anything other than shutting off cpu fan completely, preferably by software but otherwise deleting modules in kernel or files and directories so cpu fan can never start ever. If my laptop catch fire I will not have to take critique for smashing it to pieces with a hammer so that will be a big win but i regularly blow out my computer with the compressor in the workshop so i keep my hammer close.

All ideas or recommendations is highly appreciated, you can never be held responsible for my laptop and as you understood i rather smash it to pieces because i hate inefficient software/computers but this is what we are stuck with for now until the debate of efficient software starts.

As long as the noise problem with linux is not resolved Im stuck with windows.

rockedge
Site Admin

Re: How to disable cpu fan ?

Post by rockedge »

@Alwayswrong Seems like a lot more effort is needed to smash the laptop than it is to simply disconnect the fan from the motherboard power supply. Since your request goes against every computer manufacturer's recommendations it is difficult to find a software solution to disabling the fan completely.

My ex-wife had a cousin who threw at least 15 computers and 20 printers out of a second story window because of a total lack of patience and an inability to admit is own total shortcomings in understanding computers or that most "slowness" or "noises" he caused himself. He died of cardiac arrest so he won't mind that I collected the computers from the bottom of the cliffs and repaired them. Typing from one now.

Solve your problem quickly and painlessly by first opening up the noisy computer and cut the power to the fans. No more issue no more noise.

Myself, I haven't had a good day on the machine unless I hear the fans screaming at least a couple of times. Then I know the lazy bastards are working for a living.

One drawback might be the BIOS will complain loudly that the machine is broken without any cooling fans. Some will let it go and some will not start past that point.

bigpup

Post by bigpup »

Disconnecting the fan from the power source will absolutely keep it from running.

Buy a laptop that has no fan. :thumbup:
Designed so it does not need a fan for cooling.
Any of the thin style laptops should not have a fan.

Forum Global Moderator
The things you do not tell us, are usually the clue to fixing the problem.
When I was a kid, I wanted to be older.
This is not what I expected :o

rockedge
Site Admin

Post by rockedge »

or a micro-computer. Raspberry PI and all those cool industrial fan-less systems. Micro-computer with SSD and fan-less.........

ozsouth

Post by ozsouth »

On the old murga forum, we had a user 'tempestuous' who experimented with cpu fan software control in 2009. It worked on the asus eee901 laptop I had then. See (at own risk): https://oldforum.puppylinux.com/viewtop ... 83#p345283
That said, today's fanless laptops incorporate such software. My chromebook has a pentium silver cpu with no fan & temp rarely exceeds 45C.
Cpus designed to need fans will either (undesirably) cook or lockup up at their thermal max (often around 90C).

Last edited by ozsouth on Mon Jan 09, 2023 4:43 am, edited 1 time in total.
bigpuppyfan

Post by bigpuppyfan »

Which is the computer manufacturer and model? I know how to do it on a Dell quite easily.

Return to “Beginners Help”