uget & wget -- Download large files with Resume

Moderator: Forum moderators

mikeslr

uget & wget -- Download large files with Resume

Post by mikeslr »

About the third time my wifi connection was lost leaving me with a partial download of a 3 Gb file, :x I figured "there's got to be a better way." I kind of remember reading somewhere that uget --built into Bionicpup64-- had resume capabilities.

I started it and was confronted by a very nice interface. [Edit: See the Edit below and the link]. But not one which seemed to have an easy way to locate the download link I had used in Palemoon. :roll: But after a couple wrong guesses, I stumbled upon a solution. The "History" Submenu on Palemoon's Menu dropped down to reveal a list of URLs whose contents could be individually copied then pasted into the URL field on the GUI uget presents when you select File>New Download. :)

To entirely obtain the file I had to restart frisbee's network selection and Right-Click the listing of the download on uget's main GUI, selecting "force start" three more times. It was that kind-a day. But I figure success is almost always better than failure.

About wget, scroll down thru 3 posts to Clarity's post. Title changed to reflect it. My sometimes flaky memory suggested wget would work as well to uget. But I didn't trust that recollection so didn't mention it.Thanks, Clarity for posting. :thumbup:

Edit: An easy way to obtain the URL is explained here, viewtopic.php?p=77188#p77188

Last edited by mikeslr on Sat Dec 31, 2022 10:36 pm, edited 3 times in total.
user1111

Re: uget -- Download large files with Resume

Post by user1111 »

When I know I'm about to do a large download/upload Mike, I tend to move my laptop over to near the router and plug it in via ethernet. > 10x quicker speeds for me (and less prone to wifi-recycles).

Another trick if you have iwconfig installed is within a terminal run

iwconfig wlan0 power off

or whatever your wlan0 might alternatively be named (ifconfig -a should provide a clue). That sets wifi power management off, which can be a cause of periodic dropped wifi connections.
mikeslr

Post by mikeslr »

Thanks, rufwoof, for the tips, especially about turning power management off.

When my oldest son lived with us he bought a 50 foot long ethernet cable that enabled him to connect the router in the hall to the desktop computer in his bedroom, all being on the 2nd floor. Although I still have the cable, it doesn't reach my desktop in the basement. :)
user1111

Post by user1111 »

Hi Mike. For around $35 you can buy mains electric plugs that have ethernet sockets in them. Usually two plugs per pack, and with one plugged into a electricity socket near the router, and a ethernet cable from that to the router, and the same in another root (ethernet cable also required) ... and it uses your house electricity wiring as a ethernet, so no need to physically wire a ethernet cable. At least that's the case here in the UK.

You have to do some initial syncing, usually something like press and hold a button on the main one, and then within 30 seconds press the sync button on the other one, so that they 'find' each other, but otherwise pretty much plug-and-go. Unplug them and you may have to resync over again, so we just tend to leave them plugged in.

Search for something like TP-Link Powerline adapter.
Clarity

Post by Clarity »

Hi @MikeSLR
The 2020 PUPs I have been using all come with "wget" for file downloads. Like so many, I, too, have problems with ISP drops for whatever the reasons.

BUT, in EVERY case, step 5 in this document works! ... no matter the drop-relink or the number of times it occurs.

Hope this helps you and others.
mikeslr

Re: uget & wget -- Download large files with Resume

Post by mikeslr »

At least under new Puppys, an easy way to provide Uget with the URL is to Right-Click the download link, select and click "Copy Link Location". Some Web-browsers refer to this as "Link Address". That will copy it into RAM from which you can then paste it into Uget's URL box if it hasn't already appeared there.

Easy URLs for Uget(1).png
Easy URLs for Uget(1).png (49.74 KiB) Viewed 888 times

Return to “File Management”