Mouse pointer erratic in XenialPup 7.0.9

Moderator: Forum moderators

Phet-Thailand

Mouse pointer erratic in XenialPup 7.0.9

Post by Phet-Thailand »

I have installed XenialPup 7.0.9 on a new thumb drive. All worked well, even connecting to the Internet via Frisbee UNTIL a short while later, when the mouse pointer begins to act mischievously with some of the following characteristics:

1) dead in its tracks;
2) not responding to my mouse control movements;
3) while enlarging a window, the pointer changes to an underscore with a downward arrow above the underscore and
4) jumps to different parts of the screen, sits idle for a while, then jumps elsewhere!

All of this makes it impossible to place the cursor where I want it to be, i.e. on the status bar menu to shut down!

Most inconvenient indeed! Would greatly appreciate some guidance on how to train the mouse pointer to follow the mouse controls as well as getting to know what keyboard commands would allow the shutting down of Xenial once the mouse pointer begins its out-of-control tantrum(s).

Last edited by Phet-Thailand on Mon Nov 28, 2022 2:21 am, edited 1 time in total.
ozsouth

Re: An erratic mouse pointer

Post by ozsouth »

@Phet-Thailand - turning off mouse acceleration may help. In a terminal, run: xset m 0 (that's a zero, not an O). If it works, you can put a script in /root/Startup.

Wiz57

Post by Wiz57 »

Need a bit more information to get a best answer...particularly is this a USB connected mouse? Or perhaps the trackpad on
a laptop? IF USB connected it could be your computer not being able to use both the USB drive and the mouse at the same
time. If a laptop with trackpad, perhaps the sensitivity on the trackpad is set too high?
Check under the Menu, in Utility, then PupControl...there should be a section dealing with your mouse/trackpad/keyboard.
Wiz

Signature available upon request

Phet-Thailand

Post by Phet-Thailand »

For ozsouth: Doing what you suggest is not possible as the pointer eventually just disappears. So right now, I have a Xenial Puppy screen stuck in an Intrnet connection with no mouse pointer to be seen at all. That's why I also requested some possible keyboard entries which could quit the Xenial Pup app. Are there such keyboard shortcuts?

Phet-Thailand

Post by Phet-Thailand »

For Wiz57: The mouse I am using is a USB model, which works just fine when I boot into Windows. Why it would not work when using a USB port with a distro doesn't seem very logical to me. But of course that is why I am contacting the advanced users for some assistance. Have you some keyboard shortcuts to use when the pointer becomes quite unruly and does not respond to the mouse commands? At that time, I have no correct way to exit the distro application as the pointer is malfunctioning.

geo_c

Post by geo_c »

Phet-Thailand wrote: Mon Nov 28, 2022 2:03 am

For ozsouth: Doing what you suggest is not possible as the pointer eventually just disappears. So right now, I have a Xenial Puppy screen stuck in an Intrnet connection with no mouse pointer to be seen at all. That's why I also requested some possible keyboard entries which could quit the Xenial Pup app. Are there such keyboard shortcuts?

If you can get to a terminal (on Fossapup its super+t -super meaning the start key) then you should be able to type poweroff to shut down.

My guess is the usb port is conflicting with the mouse if the mouse is usb. If not, if it's a laptop, some laptop mousepads don't play well with certain included drivers, or lack of them. Unfortunately I don't know much about troubleshooting drivers and modules.

geo_c
Old School Hipster, and Such

wiak

Post by wiak »

There are a few reports of keyboard/mouse irratic/freezing behaviour when using official Ubuntu XenialXerus distro. Do any of the following links to such reports help. No need for sudo command in examples of course since always root user in standard Pups:

https://askubuntu.com/questions/772056/ ... nial-xerus

https://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=2388336

related to above: https://askubuntu.com/questions/848698/ ... nux-distro

This link describes similar bug but doesn't provide solution:
https://bugs.launchpad.net/ubuntu/+sour ... ug/1575872

The fact your mouse doesn't always go completely dead makes issue sound different though - bad or corrupted driver perhaps or different usb-related module needing loaded or conflicting with something else.

https://www.tinylinux.info/
DOWNLOAD wd_multi for hundreds of 'distros' at your fingertips: viewtopic.php?p=99154#p99154
Αξίζει να μεταφραστεί;

ozsouth

Post by ozsouth »

@Phet-Thailand - control-alt-backspace exits the Xwindow to a command prompt (xwin starts Xwindow again).

wiak

Post by wiak »

Also probably best you give more information (specs of) your computer and the usb ports being used (usb2 usb3 or what). Different usb ports rely on different driver modules, which need kernel support.

https://www.tinylinux.info/
DOWNLOAD wd_multi for hundreds of 'distros' at your fingertips: viewtopic.php?p=99154#p99154
Αξίζει να μεταφραστεί;

mikewalsh

Post by mikewalsh »

@Phet-Thailand :-

Just out of curiosity, why have you decided to use Xenialpup 7.0.9? That was one of the early "beta" development versions, and from what I recall this WAS one of the issues with it. I'm surprised no-one else has picked up on this point.

If you want to use Xenialpup (32-bit?), the final release was Xenialpup 7.5. It's a good Puppy - I use it myself, amongst many others - stable and thoroughly well-sorted. You should be able to find it here:-

http://distro.ibiblio.org/puppylinux/puppy-xenial/32/

Try the "finished product", and see if you still have the same problem. If so, we'll take it from there, as it's then more likely we can concentrate on the hardware/firmware side of things instead. It definitely won't be the fault of the Puppy.

As wiak has requested, more detailed information on your computer will be useful, please.

Mike. ;)

Puppy "stuff" ~ MORE Puppy "stuff" ~ ....and MORE! :D

April

Re: Mouse pointer erratic in XenialPup 7.0.9

Post by April »

Yes 7.5 is a better option .

Just yesterday I threw away a cheap pink mouse because it did exactly that .
Try another mouse .

The Australian State Governments have all enacted laws to steal your assets on your death. All legal paperwork is binned and all assets seized on one disgruntled child's complaint.Move them well before you die or go into a home.

Return to “Xenial”