gThumb as foundation for Graphic Management

Moderator: Forum moderators

mikeslr

gThumb as foundation for Graphic Management

Post by mikeslr »

gThumb may be available via your Puppy's Puppy Package Manager. Thanks to gychang's discovery of it on S15Pup64's repositories and to peebee's creation of S15Pup64 and solving the problem of how to get gthumb running, https://www.forum.puppylinux.com/viewto ... 968#p74968 it now provides to my S15Pup64 most of the capabilities which XnView offers debian/ubuntu based Puppys.

One of the reasons gThumbs can do that is its Right-Click options. Using it to file-browse to the file or folder you are interested in you can Right-Click a Thumb-nail of a graphic, then open that graphic in graphic editors on your system.

gthumb-OpenWith.png
gthumb-OpenWith.png (30.12 KiB) Viewed 708 times

If lazpaint isn't already on your system, you can get it here, https://www.forum.puppylinux.com/viewto ... 021#p75021. Lazpaint is a 'near-universal' graphic format converter, even able to convert to and from webp format. It is the only graphic application I know of which enables you to 'mix' raster and vector graphics.

If you're into photograph, you should know that gimp has a filter for red-eye reduction. You can use MikeWalsh's gimp-portable, viewtopic.php?p=32465&sid=8accad7a3dad6 ... fd5#p32465. However, as packaged gThumb won't offer it as a Right-Click option. Mike's packaged it as a portable which can be launched from anywhere by Left-Clicking the included LAUNCH script. A Menu-Add script will create a Menu entry. But some applications can't work with the files Menu-Add adds to the system. gThumb is among those.

To use the combination gthumb and gimportable, use the attached pet rather than Mike'sMenu-Add script to create a menu entry. Unlike Mike's it requires the user to provide the path to the LAUNCH script.

gimp_port_MntHome-menu.pet
(6.82 KiB) Downloaded 31 times

After installing the pet, file-browse to /root/my-applications/bin and Right-Click the gimp script, select open in geany/Open as Text. As written, the second line reads:

exec /mnt/home/Pup-Apps/GIMP-portable64-2.10.25/LAUNCH "$@"

Change the path argument to that where you've located the portable folder; and use whatever name you've given that folder. e.g:

exec /mnt/PATH-TO-FOLDER/GIMP-portable64/LAUNCH "$@"

mikewalsh

Re: gThumb as foundation for Graphic Management

Post by mikewalsh »

@mikeslr :-

Actually, Mike, you're going about this the hard way, y'know?

For the GIMP-portable, MenuAdd not only puts a .desktop entry in place, it also puts a sym-link in /usr/bin - called "gimp" - which is a direct link to the portable's 'LAUNCH' script. To get this to show as an option in gThumb, just use the PuppyApps Default Applications Chooser to set 'gimp' as the 'default image editor'.....which due to another symlink, also sets it as 'default paint'.

Having done that, GIMP will then show up as an option in gThumb's rt-clk menu selection. I tried it myself, with one of my multitude of screenshots.....it opened up in GIMP, sweet as you please, all ready to be modified.

Easy when ya know how.

T'other Mike. :)

Puppy "stuff" ~ MORE Puppy "stuff" ~ ....and MORE! :D

mikeslr

Post by mikeslr »

I also may have over-stated the ability of gThumb to work with lazpaint. lazpaint can convert webp format to png and several others, and vice-versa. gThumb's Right-Click 'Open-With' options are available when graphics in png, jpg and some other formats --including the option to open with lazpaint-- but not when a webp formatted graphic is chosen. gThumb will display the graphic --so you know what it shows-- but selecting 'Open With' does nothing even when the webp file-type has been associated with lazpaint and using lazpaint you can open it.

Well, at least you know what a webp formatted graphic contains even if you have to file-browse to it some other way.

gychang

Post by gychang »

mikeslr wrote: Sun Dec 11, 2022 9:02 pm

gThumb may be available via your Puppy's Puppy Package Manager.

One of the reasons gThumbs can do that is its Right-Click options. Using it to file-browse to the file or folder you are interested in you can Right-Click a Thumb-nail of a graphic, then open that graphic in graphic editors on your system.
gthumb-OpenWith.png

To use the combination gthumb and gimportable, use the attached pet rather than Mike'sMenu-Add script to create a menu entry. Unlike Mike's it requires the user to provide the path to the LAUNCH script.

Being a amateur photo buff, I had used darktable for my photo editing for more than a decade until last year, when I discovered gthumb-gimp combo. Using layer mask in gimp for a selective editing is very easy. First I edit an image in gthumb and save, and when I need to edit further rather than moving the mouse and right click to open-with-gimp function, I simple tap on "g" key and walla!, gimp opens from gthumb!. :thumbup2:

works great in FP64, S15Pup, and all the 32bit puppies I have tried.

far clouds were selectively darkened.

Attachments
2022-12-11-082948BW.jpg
2022-12-11-082948BW.jpg (46.82 KiB) Viewed 651 times

======

Puppy Bytes, utube videos
https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCg-DUU ... u62_iqR-MA

======

Return to “Graphics/Video”