gnewpet by jpeps - builds, upgrades .pets

Moderator: Forum moderators

mikeslr

gnewpet by jpeps - builds, upgrades .pets

Post by mikeslr »

As described by jpeps here, https://oldforum.puppylinux.com/viewtop ... 73#p598673 "Finds current files for an installed Pet, and makes a new version in /tmp. Leave "new version" box blank for straight duplication, or edit to update name. Batch mode builds multiple pets."

gnewpet-6.5.pet
(8.57 KiB) Downloaded 55 times

An invaluable tool for upgrading your operating system, or transferring applications you installed in one Puppy into another. Too valuable to be lost and forgotten.

Jasper

Re: gnewpet by jpeps

Post by Jasper »

I have tried this with an application that I installed via PPM and then compiled the latest build of the software and it gave me the updated application as a Pet file.
Looked promising :thumbup:

Then I tried it again with another application, this time an inbuilt one. I had updated it earlier today. So when I tried to make a Pet file of the newly updated built in application it did not list all the files :o

jrb

Post by jrb »

Jasper wrote: Sat Nov 19, 2022 5:52 pm

it did not list all the files :o

This is not gnewpet's fault. For whatever reason, WoofCE doesn't always list all the files in a package in /var/packages/builtin_files. It can be frustrating. I haven't checked in a while, hopefully its been fixed. PPM seems to do a good job.

Jasper

Post by Jasper »

@jrb

The application is great and really useful and I know I am going to use it a lot.
I suck at creating Pet files.
This is another tool in for the toolbox.
I just now that I need to just double check beforehand when it involves an update.
It's strange as it worked perfectly with my FFMpeg binaries.

mikeslr

Re: gnewpet by jpeps -- Need rebuild for Newer Puppys

Post by mikeslr »

Hi, jrb's commend above is the 'tip of the iceberg'. I've also had issues trying it under some new Puppys. Had I thought about it, I should have posted to this thread rather than writing this as a footnote on another:
"* Bye the way, I could not run gnewpet under Fossapup64-9.6. It is NOT a 'user-merge' problem. I looked. My next guess is that the current bash dialect is sufficiently different than that used by jpeps in Jan 2012 when he last updated the application. Or it could be that gnewpet doesn't work when installed pets are cataloged in /var and symlinked back. At any rate, someone with actual coding skills should look into this. gnewpet is really a very useful tool."

Return to “Utilities”