Which windowing system will jammypup have?

Building a Puppy Linux OS

Moderator: Forum moderators

user1234

Which windowing system will jammypup have?

Post by user1234 »

I see in woof-CE/woof-distro/x86_64/ubuntu/jammy64/DISTRO_PKGS_SPECS-ubuntu-jammy that xrandr utility is not found (or actually x11-xserver-utils package through which it is installed). Maybe because woof-CEs current effort is transporting puppy to Wayland. But even if it does, I can't find any package named wlr-randr, the equivalent of xrandr in wayland. So what is the current effort of puppy, use X11 or Wayland (atleast the testing branch)?

PuppyLinux 🐾 gives new life to old computers ✨

dimkr

Re: Which windowing system will jammypup have?

Post by dimkr »

Nowadays, the jammy64 build configuration in woof-CE is just a template that produces a barebones Puppy with X.Org and aufs. It's waiting for somebody to pick it up and produce a release-quality Puppy from it. It was my primary target for Wayland related development, but now Ubuntu 22.04 is too old for some things, so I changed back to X.Org and development goes on elsewhere.

The next major of Vanilla Dpup will transition to Wayland, or at least, have at least one edition that uses Wayland (see the bottom of https://vanilla-dpup.github.io/). Wayland support doesn't conflict with Puppy's X.Org related infrastructure (things like xorgwizard): everything is still there, and it's possible to build a traditional Puppy with X.Org.

Return to “woof-CE”