"Update Seamonkey" fails to connect (Closed)

Moderators: kirk, jamesbond, p310don, JakeSFR, step, Forum moderators

fundog

"Update Seamonkey" fails to connect (Closed)

Post by fundog »

Greetings! Presently, my only web access is via USB tether to a phone. It has worked well for me until now. The "Fatdog64 Control Menu/Updates/Update Seamonkey" fails with "No connection to internet. Leaving now".

Seamonkey v. 2.49.5 is refused by business sites and even Google seems to be gradually reducing usefulness. I would like to Update and hopefully return to using Seamonkey, which I like for the configuration options.
I am mystified and have no ideas.
Thanks in advance!

Attachments
Update Fail.png
Update Fail.png (6.85 KiB) Viewed 672 times
Last edited by fundog on Wed Nov 16, 2022 11:15 pm, edited 1 time in total.
"When you come to a fork in the code, take it"
My apologies to Yogi Berra
BarryK

Re: "Update Seamonkey" fails to connect

Post by BarryK »

I have given up on SeaMonkey. The latest version 2.53.13 fails on so many sites, I found it to be too frustrating.
I now use Firefox, but still use the HTML Composer module in SeaMonkey.

fundog

Post by fundog »

Thanks to BarryK for suggesting Firefox. It looked and ran nicely until I tried the "Update" and it failed in exactly the same manner. I don't know if this points to the root problem, but the usual indication of the network tool that is in the system tray when an online connection is active does not occur. The indication when using a tethered phone is of "no connection". All other connection modes are correctly indicated by the tool.
I thought about where to post but perhaps I should have posted this on the other side?

tatemono

Post by tatemono »

fundog wrote: Sun Sep 25, 2022 1:51 pm

Greetings! Presently, my only web access is via USB tether to a phone. It has worked well for me until now. The "Fatdog64 Control Menu/Updates/Update Seamonkey" fails with "No connection to internet. Leaving now".

Seamonkey v. 2.49.5 is refused by business sites and even Google seems to be gradually reducing usefulness. I would like to Update and hopefully return to using Seamonkey, which I like for the configuration options.
I am mystified and have no ideas.
Thanks in advance!

It seems that you failed to tether Android phone to your PC.

Please visit https://www.airdroid.com/remote-control ... oid-to-pc/ and follow the instructions listed in "Part 2" item 3 "USB Tethering".

After finishing USB tethering on Android, wait for 30 seconds and refresh your SeaMonkey browser as per "https://www.currys.co.uk/gbuk/techtalk/ ... o-your-pc/". You should be back online.

Please make sure that your web SeaMonkey browser is able to visit www.seamonkey-project.org then close your browser before clicking "Fatdog64 Control Menu/Third-party Software Installers/Update Seamonkey".

Last edited by tatemono on Sun Oct 16, 2022 8:19 am, edited 1 time in total.
smokey01

Post by smokey01 »

Run these in a terminal:

# slapt-get --update

then

#slapt-get -i lfs-cacert-2021.10-noarch-1

and it should work again.

fundog

Post by fundog »

@tatemono

Thank you for your interest, but perhaps my initial post was not clear. There is no general failure to connect. All works well, as expected until an attempt is made to "Update" Seamonkey. I did go to examine your link and it confirmed my usage.

@Smokey01

Run these in a terminal:

Roger that Smokey01. After running the commands I tried both the GUI method to update and after reading the options list in the terminal and using the -u option I tried without success to update. I apologize if I did not fully understand. However, this may be moot as of today.
I am on my second used ThinkPad notebook. After many years the first (bought new) finally lost the internal WiFi and I began using a USB WiFi dongle. A few more years on the machine failed completely. I liked it so much (and I had full confidence in that model) that I bought a used one. At last the WiFi failed on this one and I dug out the old dongle. Now the dongle has failed resulting in my use of direct USB tether to the phone. My order for a new dongle is scheduled to be delivered today!

williwaw

Post by williwaw »

fundog wrote: Mon Oct 17, 2022 6:05 pm

Thank you for your interest, but perhaps my initial post was not clear. There is no general failure to connect. All works well, as expected until an attempt is made to "Update" Seamonkey.

perhaps the problem is on the seamonkey side and your error message is inaccurate?
some of the blog posts here indicate a few different issues with updating

https://blog.seamonkey-project.org/?s=update

fundog

Post by fundog »

@williwaw

perhaps the problem is on the seamonkey side and your error message is inaccurate?
some of the blog posts here indicate a few different issues with updating

Indeed, I followed your link, which is a blog of public notices regarding Seamonkey problems and the very top entry was this:

So updates are now being served with the following caveats:
versions <= 2.49.5: are unfortunately not supported.

Sadly, 2.49.5 is the distro version here. When it hurts it helps to laugh!
I bow to the wisdom of BarryK who earlier posted in this thread that he had given up on Seamonkey. But wait! There's more! BarryK wrote that he now uses Firefox. So, I followed up on that and subsequently posted in this thread that Firefox "Update" failed in the same way as Seamonkey. So, this is a good time to move to 813 and see what happens. It's also time to ask about what browsers others use for financial and business (even the lumberyard demands I update my browser) that updates easily. I think that should be a different thread, so "Thanks to all".

tatemono

Post by tatemono »

fundog wrote: Mon Oct 17, 2022 6:05 pm

@tatemono

Thank you for your interest, but perhaps my initial post was not clear. There is no general failure to connect. All works well, as expected until an attempt is made to "Update" Seamonkey. I did go to examine your link and it confirmed my usage.

/usr/sbin/update-seamonkey.sh is the Shell script to run after clicking "Fatdog64 Control Menu/Third-party Software Installers/Update Seamonkey".

Then we search for the error message you got by running "grep -C 5 'No connection to internet. Leaving now' /usr/sbin/update-seamonkey.sh" and the following codes are printed on the screen.

Code: Select all

fi
}

check_online () {
    if ! wget -q --spider www.seamonkey-project.org; then
        msg "$gettext 'No connection to internet. Leaving now.'"
        exit
    fi    
}

# $1-pkgname (no space)

The if-command used in check_online() function reveals that you failed to connect to www.seamonkey-project.org and got an error message.

Please try to use your SeaMonkey to visit https://www.seamonkey-project.org, which is a secure website.

If your browser fail to visit the above-mentioned website, please do the following steps.

(1) Check your PC's system date. If incorrect, please correct it and you would connect to https://www.seamonkey-project.org successfully.

(2) If your PC's system date is correct, please do smokey01's suggestion, updating ca-certificates.

fundog

Post by fundog »

Here's the news... I am writing from FD64-813 via WiFi link. These two are the only changes in config. Happily, despite the Seamonkey admonition that "update" from Seamonkey v2.49.5 is not supported an update attempt succeeded and Seamonkey is now at v2.53.14! Again, the only changes from the previous system conditions are (1) the install of FD64-813 (2) Connection via WiFi to the phone rather than a USB tether.
Sadly, the bank still refuses to allow Seamonkey v2.53.14 to access beyond the initial screen.
So, that's it. The failure to update is solved! :thumbup:
Cheers!

Return to “Software”