scpup32 on acer aspire 1 + Libre Office: how to make the desktop look like JWM? (Solved)

Moderators: peebee, Forum moderators

peppyy

scpup32 on acer aspire 1 + Libre Office: how to make the desktop look like JWM? (Solved)

Post by peppyy »

Greetings. Was recently gifted an Acer Aspire 1 D255E which my wife wanted to use for writing. After trying several other pups I have settled on scpup32 as it boots and runs much faster than others I have tried.

With 1gb of ram I ran it live from usb and installed Libre office and tested. It worked well so I did a frugal install. When I installed Libre on the frugal it would not work. Quick splash then nothing. I determined that l had installed a newer version, uninstalled it and went back to the usb to find the one that worked.

Now have it up and running with 5.1.4 from PPM. It uses python 2.7.17 from slackware 14.2 salix.

That being said, after running Tahr and Fossa for some time I find the navigation a bit confusing. Is there a simple way to change the desktop layout to resemble the JWM look and feel so it is not so confusing for my wife?

PS Thanks for all the work that you have put into keeping the 32 bit os alive.

Puppy Linux. It just works!
Foassapup 9.5 64-(Frugal) Mobo, M5A99FX PRO - CPU, AMD FX-6300 6 core - mem,32GB - Storage
ssd 128GB M4 - ssd-256GB APS - ssd-1TB PNY - GPU GeForce GTX 1060 GAMING X 6G. Yes it's a Mutt.

mikeslr

Re: scpup32 -- Change GUI

Post by mikeslr »

I haven't done this using scpup32, but did with bionic32. YRMV.

Install radky's JWMDesk from here, https://www.smokey01.com/radky/PupMates.html. PupControl and PupMenu may also be useful, and PupClockset needed. All from the same download link.

You can test the effects of each and every one without first executing a Save. Open Menu>Exit>Restart-Graphic Server (AKA Restart-X).

After installing JWMDesk you may have to, but at any rate should, try the tools it provides. See Screenshot here, https://oldforum.puppylinux.com/viewtop ... 88#p869688

peppyy

Re: scpup32 on acer aspire 1, Libre Office

Post by peppyy »

@mikeslr Thanks. That is what I was used to. I will have her try the machine today and see if she really needs it before I make too many changes.

Joe's Windows Manager.

Puppy Linux. It just works!
Foassapup 9.5 64-(Frugal) Mobo, M5A99FX PRO - CPU, AMD FX-6300 6 core - mem,32GB - Storage
ssd 128GB M4 - ssd-256GB APS - ssd-1TB PNY - GPU GeForce GTX 1060 GAMING X 6G. Yes it's a Mutt.

mikeslr

Re: scpup32 on acer aspire 1 + Libre Office: how to make the desktop look like JWM? (Solved)

Post by mikeslr »

Follow up: If it works you may want to use PupMenu to turn off the display of built-in options. They'll both work, but can cause confusion.

Return to “SPups”