Switching users problem - MKLive Bullseye64

a very small Live CD shaped to look and act like Puppy Linux.

Moderator: fredx181

JohnGUK22

Switching users problem - MKLive Bullseye64

Post by JohnGUK22 »

I wasn't sure where to put noob questions about MKLive Bullseye, so move it if necessary.

I have been enjoying using DebianDog Bullseye created with MKLive Bullseye running off a usb stick using a changes.dat save file. But I can't work out how to switch from root user to puppy user.

I don't know what the password is - I thought it would be user root = root and user puppy = puppy but it's not that. Using the bootcode login=puppy takes me straight to root desktop :?.

Thanks in advance.

JohnGUK22

Re: Switching users problem - MKLive Bullseye64

Post by JohnGUK22 »

OK, nevermind - I worked it out. I should have used su to switch user. But now when I want to enable firewall while logged in as puppy i get a password prompt and I still don't know what it is.

Attachments
2022-10-04-201134_221x117_scrot.png
2022-10-04-201134_221x117_scrot.png (9.72 KiB) Viewed 606 times
fredx181

Post by fredx181 »

JohnGUK22 wrote: Tue Oct 04, 2022 7:21 pm

OK, nevermind - I worked it out. I should have used su to switch user. But now when I want to enable firewall while logged in as puppy i get a password prompt and I still don't know what it is.

If you built with MKLive Bullseye you should have set the password yourself, otherwise it's probably puppy .
But you can set new password for user puppy by being logged in as root and type in terminal passwd puppy

EDIT:

Using the bootcode login=puppy takes me straight to root desktop

The way to run the Desktop as puppy is Exit X > on console type: login puppy > enter password .
Disclaimer: Running the system as puppy (or other "normal" user) is not very much tested, so not really recommended.

dancytron

Post by dancytron »

Not so much with recent versions, but I tested running as puppy quite a bit and it always seemed to work normally.

To really use it without being tortured by constantly having to enter your password, you should set up pcmanfm, roxterminal, leafpad, etc with extra little scripts or .desktop files to run as root/sudo.

JohnGUK22

Post by JohnGUK22 »

fredx181 wrote: Wed Oct 05, 2022 1:22 pm
JohnGUK22 wrote: Tue Oct 04, 2022 7:21 pm

If you built with MKLive Bullseye you should have set the password yourself, otherwise it's probably puppy .

I built with MKLive Bullseye on Ubuntu 20.04 and don't recall being asked to set the password. I did try 'puppy' as the password but it rejected it.

But you can set new password for user puppy by being logged in as root and type in terminal passwd puppy

I'll try this, then.

Disclaimer: Running the system as puppy (or other "normal" user) is not very much tested, so not really recommended.

Thanks for this information.

Return to “DebianDogs”