Dissenter Browser 64bit

Moderator: Forum moderators

666philb

Dissenter Browser 64bit

Post by 666philb »

Dissenter Browser 64bit.

The Dissenter web browser is built for The People, not advertisers. Block Big Tech ads and trackers by default. Discover a comment section on every URL online. Welcome to the free speech internet.

Dissenter is forked from brave browser and so has the same adblocking & tracking by default.
It also allows you to comment on every page on the internet which is fun when comments are disabled for some reason or another.

there's a package for puppy here http://distro.ibiblio.org/puppylinux/pe ... _amd64.pet

or you can install direct from the website https://dissenter.com/
if downloaded from the website you will need to edit the exec line in /usr/share/applications/dissenter-browser.desktop

Code: Select all

Exec=/usr/bin/dissenter-browser-stable --no-sandbox --test-type
note that --no-sandbox --test-type can be used to run all chrome based browsers as /root in puppy
TiredPup

Re: Dissenter Browser 64bit

Post by TiredPup »

Posting from it now. So far so good.
mikewalsh

Post by mikewalsh »

666philb wrote: Sun Jul 19, 2020 12:45 pmnote that --no-sandbox --test-type can be used to run all chrome based browsers as /root in puppy
Hmm. Interesting tidbit, Phil. Thanks for the info!

[Later:-] Right. Well; for anybody who's interested, here - for the first time in over 4 years! - is a version of my Chrome-portable.....once again running as /root:-

viewtopic.php?p=699#p699

Sorry for hijacking the thread, Phil! :oops:

Mike. :)

Puppy "stuff" ~ MORE Puppy "stuff" ~ ....and MORE! :D

wiak

Post by wiak »

666philb wrote: Sun Jul 19, 2020 12:45 pm

note that --no-sandbox --test-type can be used to run all chrome based browsers as /root in puppy
Not really I think. See here:

viewtopic.php?p=729#p729

https://www.tinylinux.info/
DOWNLOAD wd_multi for hundreds of 'distros' at your fingertips: viewtopic.php?p=99154#p99154
Αξίζει να μεταφραστεί;

ozsouth

Post by ozsouth »

@Philb - thanks for this - is very good (I tried it in ScPup64).
666philb

Post by 666philb »

wiak wrote: Mon Jul 20, 2020 3:41 am
666philb wrote: Sun Jul 19, 2020 12:45 pm

Not really I think. See here:

viewtopic.php?p=729#p729
thanks for the info wiak,

maybe i'll give the user a choice at install, root or spot and their advantages disadvantages
mikewalsh

Post by mikewalsh »

I was going to recommend this. But, just like Moonchild Production's "Basilisk" browser, although Widevine is installed by default.....it's non-functional.

A bit of research reveals that the Dissenter browser is forked from a very early version of Brave. Older releases of Brave had the same issue; anytime you needed Widevine for any DRM-regulated item - like watching NetFlix - it would ask to"install" Widevine - even though it's already there! - followed by asking to restart the browser to enable it. And then immediately asking to install it.....AGAIN. And round & round, ad infinitum, in an endless loop....

The Brave team finally got this issue fixed, around a year ago. I can tell this is from an earlier version, because the installed Widevine - which the browser cannot see! - is, from the version number, at least 2 years out-of-date.

It's like PaleMoon. Or "vanilla" Chromium. Fine for general browsing, and YouTube. And that's about it.

Mike. ;)

Keef

Post by Keef »

Fine for general browsing,
Well that would make it a browser then. Does what it say on the tin. Although I just tried it on Netflix on and it offered to install Widevine, which I assume must have worked as I could start watching watching a film and tried a couple of other programmes.
This does seem to run a bit better than Firefox, which I only tend to use for the odd sites that don't render well with Palemoon.
666philb

Post by 666philb »

yes dissenter also prompted me to install widevine (not tested yet) and also google translate on pages of another language.

still dissenters unique selling point is the commenting on every page of the internet, which can be really fun :D
bullpup

Post by bullpup »

666philb wrote: Mon Jul 20, 2020 7:07 pm yes dissenter also prompted me to install widevine (not tested yet) and also google translate on pages of another language.

still dissenters unique selling point is the commenting on every page of the internet, which can be really fun :D
Yeah, about that: You'd have to create an account @ GAB and then comment on whatever site.........not my thing.

To be honest (after testing Dissenter for a while) I'll choose Brave over Dissenter. Period.

"Get a pup", they said. "It'll be fun", they said. They where right!
(Various Pups with save folder in QEMU/KVM)

bigpup

Post by bigpup »

Installed the pet.
Working well in Bionicpup64 8.0

It has, by default, the old murga Puppy forum page, when it first starts.
May want to change that to the puppylinux.rockedge.org puppy forum web site.

With that, Under maintenance message, when Dissenter first starts.
You know someone is going to think the browser is broken :o :roll:

Forum Global Moderator
The things you do not tell us, are usually the clue to fixing the problem.
When I was a kid, I wanted to be older.
This is not what I expected :o

geo_c

Post by geo_c »

I don't suppose there is a 32bit version floating around, is there?

geo_c
Old School Hipster, and Such

666philb

Post by 666philb »

i've only just discovered that dissenter has an incognito tor mode ....... nice :thumbup2:

s243a

Post by s243a »

666philb wrote: Mon Jul 20, 2020 7:07 pm

yes dissenter also prompted me to install widevine (not tested yet) and also google translate on pages of another language.

I may give it a try someday. I hope there are enough left wing voices on the platform to balance out the discussion.

user1111

Post by user1111 »

Saw a mention of dessenter on irc puppy forum, downloaded the .deb file from dessenter.com and used Fatdog's right click convert to package tool ... and installed it, and running it now it looks/feels good. Played youtubes ...etc. OK. Searched and found this thread (that I'd previously missed).

I just ran (in a terminal)
run-as-spot dessenter-browser-stable
... to run it.

mgolden

Post by mgolden »

I'm not sure who is maintaining it, but you can get the Dissenter Browser here in .sfs and .pet packages:

https://yadi.sk/d/7AkxbX4NqJUah?force_show=1

user1111

Post by user1111 »

Has both normal and tor based incognito modes as well (within the hamburger-looking/normal menu). I now have it running in a container and its impressive - but some may have political concerns about using it viewtopic.php?p=15678#p15678

mikeslr

Re: Dissenter Browser Run-as-Spot from /home

Post by mikeslr »

Based on rufwoof's post in the FatDog64 Section, viewtopic.php?p=18301#p18301 and my follow-up thought that with a little tweaking it could run-as-spot and preserve the protection sanboxing provides, I did the tweaking.

To do that I stole two pages from Mike Walsh: (1) How he had structured the SFS google-chrome run-as-spot from /home; and (2) how he structured Brave-portable. Combining the two, then figuring out what went wrong --as dissenter has its own start-up wrapper-- resulted in dissenter64_RAS-1.5.114.sfs. Available from here, https://www.mediafire.com/file/jqitb1sd ... 4.sfs/file

Edit: Error not worth a revised upload. The included version of Mike Walsh's permission changer expects the existence of a folder /root/Downloads. Transfers from /home/spot/Downloads will not work without it. I forgot to include that folder. It may already be part of your system as, AFAIK, every 'regular' web-browser will create it --if it doesn't already exist-- the first time you download anything. By 'regular' I mean a web-browser not structured to run-as-spot. If the /root/Downloads folder is not already part of your system just file-browse to /root, Right-Click an empty space, select New>Directory from the pop-up window and give the folder the name Downloads.

Fortunately it plays Youtube videos with sound OOTB otherwise I probably would have gone-nuts/given-up and it wouldn't have been published. Runs under Bionicpup64 and Xenialpup64. I did not test under fossapup64 as 666philb has already made a version available via quickpet. I did test under LxPupSc64. That Puppy will need whatever libs are usually needed to get 'Ubuntu-built' web-browsers functional.

It passed my test for Spot but not rufwoof's*: When downloading it will expose folders and files outside of Spot; but denies permission to save anything outside of the /spot folder. Mike Walsh's permission-changer enabling a quick transfer of files from /spot/Downloads to /Downloads is built in. If your system already has this the first time dissenter is loaded a second icon of it will show up on the taskbar. Restart-x solves that.

Profiles are maintained in /home/spot/.config/GabAl and cache in /home/spot/.cache/GabAl. Keep in mind that with the entire application in /home a Save will be necessary to preserve any changes. Once you've configured it to your liking I suggest you delete its cache and execute a Save. I added three extensions: Adguard, privacy badger and a eraser. I know dissenter, itself, is supposed to handle the first two chores. But now I have 'someone watching the watcher'. By the time I had finished that configuration there were over 400 files in the cache folder. If I put dissenter to use in the future I'll have to remember to manually clear cache before executing a Save. I know the eraser is supposed to do that. It would be nice if that works.

* This a short, not entirely complete, exposition of the discussion on the 'Privacy is an illusion' thread. A hacker's tampering with your files may have become more difficult. But the information they contain can still be exposed.

Last edited by mikeslr on Sun Mar 07, 2021 7:08 pm, edited 3 times in total.
mikeslr

Re: Dissenter Browser 64bit -- Slacko 7

Post by mikeslr »

I constructed the above SFS under Bionicpup64. Primarily I run 'Ubuntus'; so tested it successfully under Xenialpup64 and Fossapup64.

But today I decided to try 01micko's new Slacko64-7.0. Often 'Ubuntu'-builds won't run OOTB under Slackos, requiring some libs. So I was pleased to find that the Dissenter-RAS.SFS functioned immediately.

geo_c

Post by geo_c »

This is nice. It runs great on Jackalpup which is a fossapup multi-media remaster. But oddly, it doesn't seem to work on plain Fossapup, unless I have a conflict with some other browser libraries. At the moment I have Palemoon, Falkon, Libre Wolf, Firefox, Ungoogled Chromium, Dissenter, and Tor all loaded. Chromium and Libre Wolf are Mike Walsh portables, the other's are package manager installs, except for Dissenter. I also had loaded Dissenter from the package manager and it wouldn't fire up, so maybe something was left over from the uninstall. Anyway. Dissenter on Jackal is working well!

geo_c
Old School Hipster, and Such

mikeslr

Post by mikeslr »

Hi geo_c,

I'm not certain what may be causing any conflict. But the following might provide a clue:
dissenter64_RAS-1.5.114.sfs is almost entirely self-contained in the /home/spot/dissenter folder*. The exceptions are the files relating to Mike Walsh's permission changer and those which create a menu entry. None of those could possibly conflict with, or be conflicted by, any other files except as noted in the above post that when initially started a 2nd task-bar entry for the permission launcher would appear on the Task bar if one already was there.

There is only one other exception. The source I used to build the SFS had a folder in /etc named "cron.daily". I know almost nothing about the operations of /etc. So when I find files there I leave them alone --just include them-- unless during my testing a problem appears. None did, so it was included. You post induced me to examine it. Turns out that within the cron.daily folder was a symbolic link to a file in /opt/dissenter. Well, in my 'rebuild' the symbolic link is broken because the dissenter folder was moved from /opt to /home/spot.
That suggest that the symbolic link in /etc isn't necessary to create an application which functions under Puppy. But just "in case" it is required for some operation I haven't stumbled upon I rebuilt the SFS so that the symbolic link is to the existent file in /home/spot and re-uploaded it.

The above leads me to suggest that you examine /etc for a folder named "cron.daily". Symbolic links can not over-write actual files of the same name. If your other/prior version has/left a file in cron.daily it may be causing a conflict.

-=-=-=-=-=-=
* As my previous post implies, basically, I just build a portable but located in in /home/spot to be run as spot to enhance security.

mikeslr

Post by mikeslr »

Error and work-around. See the paragraph beginning with the words Edit: Error, at viewtopic.php?p=18334#p18334 regarding an oversight and its work-around.

mikewalsh

Post by mikewalsh »

@mikeslr :-

Mike:-

No need to "re-start X" if you end up with two Spot2Root icons in the tray. A right-click gives you a "Quit" button...and new versions of this now have an "About" splash-screen available from the right-clk menu ( just for the hell of it! ) :lol:

I'll let you into a wee secret..? My main "beef" with 'zilla browsers is the extreme awkwardness of persuading the buggers to use a microphone that's connected to anything other than the 'default' card. Chromium 'clones' will give you a list of every sound card attached to the machine; with the 'zillas, all you get is 'default_source_name'...

(Huh..??)

Meaning if I want to use any of the multitude of web 'chat' apps in a 'zilla browser, I have to use the Logitech headset, and set its built-in card as 'default', before even firing the browser up. I don't get an option. (Unless anybody happens to know where in the mess of about:config there might be a way to change this.?) :?

Best left alone, in my humble opinion. Rummaging around in there is, to my mind, akin to poking a Kodiak grizzly with a stick; you just know no good will come of it!! :D

Mike. ;)

Lassar

Post by Lassar »

How much file space does Dissenter Browser take up?

Return to “Browsers and Internet”