Can't run 32-bit programs in 32- or 64- bit Fossapup-9.5

New to Puppy and have questions? Start here

Moderator: Forum moderators

GusCE6

Can't run 32-bit programs in 32- or 64- bit Fossapup-9.5

Post by GusCE6 »

Well, I finally went and did it- I downloaded a 64-Bit recent version of Puppy Linux and used Lick to install it.

So now the ASUS has Windows 8 64-Bit/Puppy Linux Tahrpup 6.0.5 32-Bit/Puppy Linux Fossapup 9.5 64-Bit.

It all began on Steam. I mentioned the ASUS being able to handle every single game I ever installed, only "Lanternium" being a problem- updating the drivers by downloading for offline installation from the ASUS site (Intel got me nowhere) soon fixed that- but of course someone essentially said "oh yeah this won't run!" :twisted:

It was "Delores Thimbleweed Park."

This game, even though it looks, sounds, and plays pretty much like a mid-1990's DOS game, has the most ridiculously demanding specs I've bumped into so far. It requires Windows 10, a 64-Bit system, and DirectX 12 (hence no way it'll run on Windows 8).

But it's free so, install on Steam, ask, yes it's standalone, try it in all ways- sure enough no luck.

So I tried using VirtualBox, but of course there's no way so far to install a 64-Bit guest OS on it- has something to do with the CPU and a virtualization option not being available on BIOS- I looked.

So- Plan B. Got some advice from a very helpful and knowledgeable person in Discussions so I could actually directly download the Linux version from Steam. Tried it with Tahrpup and Bionicpup- no luck, but no surprise (32-Bit).

Downloaded Fossapup, fired it up, and sure enough- the game fired right up. Score one for the mighty ASUS!

Tried Foxtail, it worked. Tried installing the same WINE I used before on the other OS, but nothing. Suspicious, I tried the 64-Bit version of "Foxtail" directly, worked...tried the 32-Bit version and nothing.

So far I cannot run any 32-Bit anything, Windows or Linux.

I found some information, but as my time is VERY limited- death in the family and an attempted suicide really fouled things up- I'm hoping someone can give me a compact set of instructions, and a direct download link to that 32-Bit compatibility SFS file. Thanks in advance!

By the by, the VirtualBox efforts weren't in vain- I can tinker with XP on superior hardware and games like "Flight Simulator 95 & 98," as well as the endearing "Tanktics," now run.

mikeslr

Re: Fossapup-64 9.5 and 32-Bit Apps...Problem.

Post by mikeslr »

Please accept my condolences. :(

You can easily obtain Fossapup's 32 bit compatibility SFS: Menu>Setup>quickpetfossa; Left-Click the Useful tab, Left-Click the 32bit Compatibility-fossa.sfs, Left-Click OK, select a Mirror and again Click OK. [You have a choice as to where to download it; fossapup is smart enough to handle SFSes located in its own folder].
After it downloads, Right-Click to SFS-Load it. IIRC, Fossapup64 is also smart enough so that SFS-load will trigger its configuration. Best to test with something simpler than Wine; any 32-bit application. If it runs you're good to go. If not, open a terminal and type, without the quotes:

Code: Select all

ldconfig

The first letter of the above word is a small l >phonetic 'el'.

About running Wine under Fossapup64, in general see this thread: viewtopic.php?t=1729. I still most often use the Wine-portable-3.3, linked from here, [url]https://forum.puppylinux.com/viewt ... p=279#p279[/url]. But I've also had success employing the AppImages per MikeWalsh's instructions here, viewtopic.php?p=14411#p14411; downloading the AppImages from the links trister provided on the OP of that thread.

rockedge
Site Admin

Post by rockedge »

@GusCE6 Sorry for your loss. Here is a direct link to the 32 bit compatibility libraries SFS
32bit-compatibilty-fossa64.sfs

bigpup

Post by bigpup »

I assume Lick installer did a frugal install of Fossapup64 9.5.
You do need to have done the first shutdown, making a save, and now booting using this save.
This assures the 32bit compatibility sfs gets properly loaded into file system.
Information is stored in the save that controls this.

Note:
If you use Quickpet program to get the SFS package, it does all the loading operation for you.

If you manually download the SFS package.
Need to put it in location /mnt/home/
Run SFS-load-on-the-fly program to load it into the file system.

Fossapup64 has some updates and bug fixes.
Click on Quickpet icon on desktop.
Quickpet->Info->Fossapup updates.

After all the bug fixes are installed, good idea to reboot, so they all get saved, and now being used.

Forum Global Moderator
The things you do not tell us, are usually the clue to fixing the problem.
When I was a kid, I wanted to be older.
This is not what I expected :o

GusCE6

Post by GusCE6 »

Well, I downloaded the SFS manually just to stash it on a USB stick for backup, and though it was a bit of a hassle I also did it the fancier way.

Long story short so far the results are good. Not quite as good as with Tahrpup, but MUCH better.

As usual one gets good results here. Thank you. :)

bigpup

Post by bigpup »

Not quite as good as with Tahrpup

what is that saying?

Forum Global Moderator

PipzDex

Post by PipzDex »

hello GusCE6
I share this link where you can find some programs made specifically for fossapup64 that could be useful to you

Fossapup64 folder

Cheers!! :thumbup2:

Pentium (R) 2.20GHz I RAM: 8.0 GB I F96-CE_5 I Kernel 6.6.8-64oz-ao I Glibc: 2.31 I 1600x900 Px

My Puppy Stuff and more

GusCE6

Post by GusCE6 »

I've been having some really weird troubles with Fossapup 64 9.5.

The Puppy Linux PET version of DOSBox installs and works, except instead of the normal direction keys it uses the clumsier numeric direction keys (8, 6, 2, 4). I've tried using and altering the virtual keys on DOSBox itself (CTRL + F1), altering the mapping file, but so far nothing really works. This problem has never happened before with Puppy Linux 5.2.5 Lucid/ 6.0.5 Tahrpup, or the Windows version (0.74) for Windows XP or 8.

What is going on here? Does Fossapup use some unusual keyboard setup? This problem only happens with Fossapup and only with the direction keys as far as I can see. It only seems to happen with DOSBox.

Another problem is even stranger- I cannot get GIMP working on Fossapup. This is the SFS version downloaded via Fossapup itself! Installing the PET file I normally use does install but nothing happens. GIMP does appear in the menus.

Then there is WINE. It works but not as well as with Tahrpup or for the most part Lucid. "Foxfolk" works but with a black screen. Some games work but many others do not even though they do for Lucid and Tahrpup. Again the Menu options (e.g. configuration) and the wineglass symbol appear but do not do anything.

Since GIMP does not work I'm wondering- to get "everything" with WINE working both the SFS and the PET files must be installed. Only then do you get it working and the options such as registry editor and configuration working. So far I use 1.7 for all Puppy Linux OS since they've been stable and I've seen little difference with higher versions.

Is it possible no SFS file is working here?

Ultimately I'd like to try to get even Windows 10 64-Bit programs running on Fossapup but so far my success has been much too limited. Am I doing something wrong here?

Any ideas what's happening? Please do not suggest portable WINE, the last time I tried that I ended up having to completely reset the ASUS.

Thanks.

bigpup

Post by bigpup »

Welcome to Linux software! :welcome:

I cannot get GIMP working on Fossapup. This is the SFS version downloaded via Fossapup itself!

This is caused by a bug in Fossapup64 9.5

This is fixed by using Quickpet->Info->Fossapup updates to install the fix.
Make sure to update the save with added changes and reboot so changes are now being used.

Had to run Quickpet->Info->Fossapup updates 2 times to fully get complete fix installed.

Used Quickpet->A&V->Gimp to download Gimp sfs and load it.

After doing this.
Gimp from Quickpet is working for me in my frugal install of Fossapup64 9.5

Screenshot.jpg
Screenshot.jpg (38.49 KiB) Viewed 2058 times

Forum Global Moderator

bigpup

Post by bigpup »

dosbox issue.

Fossapup64 is fully updated using Quickpet->Info->Fossapup updates

I installed dosbox from the Puppy Package Manager(PPM)
First I updated PPM database.
Downloaded and installed dosbox v 0.74.3 and a few dependencies it needs.

This dosbox install. Normal direction keys seem to be working OK.

Forum Global Moderator

bigpup

Post by bigpup »

For Wine.

After installing a Wine version to use.
I assume you already know about the need to run winecfg and letting it install several other things before first using Wine.
Do the auto-detection of drives, so the correct drive locations are set for Wine usage.

If you have used Wine.
You should already know that a lot of things can affect getting a Windows program to run. (some will not work in Wine)
Wine emulating what specific Windows version.
Wine config settings.
The version of Wine.
Maybe needed winetricks.
etc.......

Forum Global Moderator

GusCE6

Re: Can't run 32-bit programs in 32- or 64- bit Fossapup-9.5

Post by GusCE6 »

Well, the GIMP problem has been solved. I did the updating as instructed.

But the direction key problem with DOSBox is still there.

And when I try to install Steam I get a "Fatal Error: Cannot Load SteamUI.so" or something like that. I terminated it by deleting everything figuring how's THAT for a "fatal error" you miserable @#*%*@...

What's going on with that? Yes, I boosted the personal storage space.

rockedge
Site Admin

Post by rockedge »

@GusCE6 Have you checked the DOSBox configuration file to check how the keyboard is being mapped?

bigpup

Post by bigpup »

And when I try to install Steam

This provides no useful info.
Exactly how are you installing Steam????

Forum Global Moderator

GusCE6

Post by GusCE6 »

For Steam I used that "Quickpet" list- the same one that has GIMP and the 32-Bit compatible.

No luck. Come to think of it, I've never successfully installed Steam in any way on any Puppy Linux, including Fossapup.

I've tried using DOSBox's own keyboard mapping and that mapping file which doesn't appear with Windows. No changes ever accomplish anything beyond making something "skip" a space. Those four normal directional keys simply do nothing and the numeric keys 8, 6, 2, and 4 act as direction keys by default. This has not happened with Tahrpup or Lucid, just Fossapup. Nothing I've tinkered with has had any positive effect here.

If one installs WINE from that Quickpet- the 64-Bit one- and the 32-Bit compatibility SFS is in place would it run 32-Bit programs?

I'm using the same WINE I used for all other Puppy Linux distros- you need both the PET and the SFS to get the options screen (e.g. for using a native file like SwiftShader's D3D8.DLL and D3D9.DLL), but although they appear in the Utilities list clicking them does nothing.

So far the only real victory for Fossapup as opposed to the others is getting that "Delores Thimbleweed Park" game running. Otherwise Tahrpup has all of the advantages.

What's wrong here? Why does this only happen with Fossapup? I can't conceive of a 64-Bit OS not being reasonably compatible with 32-Bit software.

bigpup

Post by bigpup »

For Steam, you are doing something wrong.

I installed it in Fossapup64 9.5 Provided from Quickpet.
Working for me.

First you need to make sure you have updated Fossapup64 by using Quickpet ->Info -> Fossapup updates.
Reboot making sure to update the save with the changes.
Now you should be booted using these changes.
This will fix a bug about using Steam.

Now install Steam from Quickpet.
Go slow and carefully follow any info provided during the install.

Run steam from menu -> Fun -> Steam

first time you run Steam it will want to update.
That is kind of normal.
They seem to be constantly tweaking and updating it.
Eventually it will run normally and present the log in.
Use your Steam log in or make one.

Yes the 32bit compatibility sfs loaded provides ability to run 32bit Linux software.
Not sure exactly what it provides to 64bit wine but it is needed for 32bit Wine.

Forum Global Moderator

bigpup

Post by bigpup »

Yes, I boosted the personal storage space.

So the save is a save file?
What size is the save file?
How much free space is in it?

Forum Global Moderator

victor70

Post by victor70 »

You CAN… but only if you get an emulator for the 64 bit architecture the software requires.
It will not run as fast… But it will run.
This is how computers are used to design the next generation of computers. 32 bit computers were used to simulate the architecture, provide test environment of what SHOULD work, and identify problems before the real hardware is available.
By the time the real hardware is available, the software is ALSO available.
When the Itanium processor was manufactured, Linux was already running on an Itanium simulator (very slowly, but running). Thus linux became the first operating system running on the Itanium.

unnecessary link removed by moderator

Last edited by Wiz57 on Tue Apr 19, 2022 9:38 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: removed unnecessary link

Return to “Beginners Help”