Chrome Update

Moderator: Forum moderators

Clarity

Chrome Update

Post by Clarity »

On several modern and WoofCE PUPs & DOGs I test, I removed v97 and replaced it with v98.

I use @ETP's "Get Latest Chrome Version" utility to install Chrome onto each of the PUPs, I tested today. His utility continues to be used, by me, as it installs within PUP such that it run consistent with 'root' privilege needs.

I ASK
Is it my imagination, but it seems to perform "faster" than any previous browser I've recently tested. And its footprint is smaller. Are you seeing the same thing?

mikewalsh

Re: Chrome Update

Post by mikewalsh »

@Clarity :-

No, it's not your imagination, Clarity. Google have been performing an awful lot of memory-management work behind the scenes, along with a fair bit of allowing processes to 'idle' until such time as you're actually using them (aka 'lazy loading', etc). This has been occurring over the last several releases, and each release over the last 12-18 months has just been getting that wee bit faster & more responsive than the last.

I've just updated myself, using my portable's built-in updater script. It's been a slow, steady process, but much of the change that they first announced on the Chrome blog nearly 2 years ago is finally bearing fruit.

Good, ain't it?

Mike. ;)

Puppy "stuff" ~ MORE Puppy "stuff" ~ ....and MORE! :D

xenial

Post by xenial »

I have the latest chrome on one of my fossapups and contrary to popular belief it is actually the lightest browser i have used in terms of cpu and memory usage.Firefox uses an awful lot more RAM than chrome and i only have a 2gb machine so i go for what performs best and surprisingly it is chrome.

user1111

Post by user1111 »

jit is a common security attack vector and turning it off in chrome using the

--js-flags='jitless'

switch, seems to me to also speed up chrome.

Maybe it reduces heap/jit spray attacks that otherwise eat cycles :)

Return to “Browsers”