Sudden black pinboard after using some programs

Moderator: Forum moderators

Dingo

Sudden black pinboard after using some programs

Post by Dingo »

Woof woof! i noted, since a while, some strange cases of pinboard becoming black, so no more desktop nor icons. The easy fix for this is restarting the x server, but I want investigate about this. Do where can I find relevant logs fir this? Xerrs.log in /tmp?

April

Re: Sudden black pinboard after using some programs

Post by April »

In /var/log

The Australian State Governments have all enacted laws to steal your assets on your death. All legal paperwork is binned and all assets seized on one disgruntled child's complaint.Move them well before you die or go into a home.

MochiMoppel

Post by MochiMoppel »

Dingo wrote: Tue Jan 25, 2022 11:06 pm

where can I find relevant logs fir this?

What makes you think that there is a log?
Your best bet is to narrow down "some programs" to the program responsible for the change.

bigpup

Post by bigpup »

Most likely it is some program you are using when this happens.

I have had similar issues, when I tried to run a program, that was not correctly compiled to work with, the version of Puppy, I was using.

So next time it happens.
Look at the program you just started as possible cause.

Usually the program locks up.
I select kill to get it to close.
Then the desktop is as you say.

Forum Global Moderator
The things you do not tell us, are usually the clue to fixing the problem.
When I was a kid, I wanted to be older.
This is not what I expected :o

gychang

Post by gychang »

I noticed a similar behavior when I install the wallpaper using viewnior. Also when I issue the command of killall ROX-FIler, it does the similar. Just reminds me the rox functioning as a window manager.

======

Puppy Bytes, utube videos
https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCg-DUU ... u62_iqR-MA

======

Dingo

Post by Dingo »

It's happened again. This time briefly after session in ram was saved to USB DISK. I wonder if it can be relatd to saving interval I settled any 45 minutes. I'll look more in deep

mikewalsh

Post by mikewalsh »

@Dingo :-

I had a spell, a few years ago, where I had not only pinboard, but also icons, go completely AWOL.....never to re-appear again. Vanished into thin air.

This happened several times over the course of a few months, and I got totally fed-up with having to re-set up my highly customized desktop over & over again. So; I developed a set of scripts to stop this from happening.

When I shut down/re-boot, the shutdown process is temporarily interrupted by a pair of scripts that copy /root/Choices/ROX-filer/PuppyPin & /root/.jwmrc-tray to a safe external location ( a directory called "PP" in either /mnt/home/puppy-whatever or /initrd/mnt/dev_save/puppy-whatever.......the individual Pup's sub-directory). A small gxmessage box comes up to inform me the back-up has taken place; gxmessage has an "OK" button that must be clicked-on before the process will go any further, so this merely corroborates that you know it's happened.....then control is handed-back to the normal shut-down process.

There's also a "PPin-reset" Menu entry under Menu->Desktop. In the unlikely event that things have gone AWOL (again!), clicking on this copies back & overwrites /root/Choices/ROX-filer/PuppyPin and /root/.jwmrc-tray, then restarts "X" again.

So far - touch wood! - it's proved bullet-proof in use.

Mike. ;)

Puppy "stuff" ~ MORE Puppy "stuff" ~ ....and MORE! :D

Dingo

Post by Dingo »

Past two days I worked very hard with several hours with different programs running at same time (the same I used when issue happened), but no issue nor pinboard going black, these times. It is a very strange thing I'll continue to investigate.

after last crash I found this in dmesg log

Code: Select all

snd_hda_intel 0000:00:1b.0: IRQ timing workaround is activated for card #1. Suggest a bigger bdl_pos_adj.
aufs au_new_inode:466:mtpaint[8547]: Warning: Un-notified UDBA or repeatedly renamed dir, b1, ext3, a65c362b3ac31d1038f3d79bb98bb98e-le64.cache-6, hi16815, i26277.
traps: ROX-Filer[10267] general protection ip:7ff3a1387e40 sp:7ffe5be10630 error:0
 in libfontconfig.so.1.9.0[7ff3a136e000+3d000]
udevd[3335]: specified group 'input' unknown

Return to “Xenial”