Installing gcc.pet leads to crash

Post here if you feel others can duplicate your so discovered "bug"

Moderator: Forum moderators

SilverR02

Installing gcc.pet leads to crash

Post by SilverR02 »

Hi, people! I am having trouble installing the gcc.pet on the BionicPup32. Once installing, everything freezes as if it were a crash, when restarting, X does not start anymore

Your mind's is a boundless place / Tu mente es un lugar sin limites

Phoenix

Re: Installing gcc.pet leads to crash

Post by Phoenix »

Why not use the devx provided? It will provide everything needed for compiling/developing. As well, what does it say when X.org fails to start?

IRC: firepup | Time to hack Puppy!

SilverR02

Post by SilverR02 »

Phoenix wrote: Mon Jan 03, 2022 1:29 am

Why not use the devx provided? It will provide everything needed for compiling/developing. As well, what does it say when X.org fails to start?

Where I found "devx"?

Answering you question: nothing. The system start up normal, X start and the screen goes black, seconds after "Exited X (...)" and it goes to command lines. The problem persist when retry start X (xwin)

rockedge
Site Admin

Post by rockedge »

There is a file called devx-BionicPup32.sfs or something like that. Download this and use SFS-Load-on-the-fly to load it.

The devx sfs file contains all the tools you will need to compile programs

Start fresh. Delete everything and start with Bionic32 from the beginning, load the devx.sfs file.
Then start compiling.

peebee

Post by peebee »

Which "gcc.pet"???????????? Where from?? Why should it have anything to do with BionicPup32??

devx_upupbb_19.03.sfs 2021-Dec-24 07:00:44 109.8M

http://distro.ibiblio.org/puppylinux/pu ... onicpup32/

viewtopic.php?t=165
http://distro.ibiblio.org/puppylinux/pu ... cpup32.htm

Builder of LxPups, SPups, UPup32s, VoidPups; LXDE, LXQt, Xfce addons; Chromium, Firefox etc. sfs; & Kernels

mikewalsh

Post by mikewalsh »

@SilverR02 :-

Never, ever assume that just because a Puppy is based around Ubuntu components, that you can proceed with it just like Ubuntu. That way lies endless problems.....

A 'buntu-based Puppy is not merely an Ubuntu 're-skin' as so many other distros are. A Puppy is it's own highly-unique creation.....and must be treated with the respect that entails.

So long as you take the time & care to set it up in the correct way, you'll have a near enough unbreakable lightweight distro that will handle everything you can throw at it. But don't think you can just casually add bits from here, there & all over the place, because it simply doesn't work like that....

Mike. :o

Puppy "stuff" ~ MORE Puppy "stuff" ~ ....and MORE! :D

SilverR02

Post by SilverR02 »

Thanks for the advice. I already knew that I should not take Puppy as Ubuntu because it is base like Ubuntu (and I know that it is unique because of the capabilities it has). However, to build that "unbreakable distro" I must have internet and I can only have it if I compile my modem driver. Do not think that I do not take the time and care! I do it step by step, discovering ho it works in order to get the most out of it without ending up taking the system down (although sometimes I go by an resort to my constant support). Anyway I am new to Puppy Linux and I was fascinated that I wanted to have it as a "portable system" that works for me at full power (howeverm I limit myself to the laptop without a hard disk that occupies it). Any other tips?

OscarTalks

Post by OscarTalks »

SilverR02 wrote: Tue Jan 04, 2022 11:38 pm

Any other tips?

Yes
If you really are going to compile a driver you will also need to find and load the correct kernel_sources.sfs and kernel_headers.sfs
as well as the devx.sfs
http://distro.ibiblio.org/puppylinux/pu ... onicpup32/
Puppy will often have the drivers already included, so first make sure that it definitely does not.

As others have said, you would not expect to find gcc as a .pet package, so if you found one, let us know where.
Do not use the Package Manager to install gcc
Loading the devx is the correct way to add gcc to your system (along with other essential stuff for compiling and development)

Return to “Bug Reports”