BusterDog - Missing Message Window in Geany [SOLVED]

a very small Live CD shaped to look and act like Puppy Linux.

Moderator: fredx181

ocpaul20

BusterDog - Missing Message Window in Geany [SOLVED]

Post by ocpaul20 »

BusterDog Missing Message Window in Geany

I have an odd thing happening to Geany in my newly-installed BusterDog.

I have definitely got the View/Show Message Window box ticked, but there is no message window.
When I do a search in files or whatever, expecting the results to come up in the message window like it did previously, the result comes up in the status panel. However, I cannot seem to find the message etc, panel at the bottom of the source program. (See screenshot)

I have completely removed Geany and booted then reinstalled it and the same thing happens.

Am I looking in the wrong place for these search results?
Thanks
Paul

------------------------------------
Busterdog as frugal

Last edited by ocpaul20 on Thu Nov 18, 2021 5:03 am, edited 1 time in total.
fredx181

Re: BusterDog - Missing Message Window in Geany

Post by fredx181 »

Hello Paul, I know very little about geany, is this the message window you mean ?

2021-09-20-183239_995x217_scrot_795x173.png
2021-09-20-183239_995x217_scrot_795x173.png (16.16 KiB) Viewed 640 times

You have also version 1.33 ?
Just guessing:
- Maybe look in synaptic for some geany plugin that's required to have installed for what you need.
- Could be that old config (from older version) is left over in ~/.config/geany that is conflicting somehow.
Perhaps deleting it helps, again just guessing, probably someone with more knowledge about geany can help better.

Edit: Could it be that you just need to move it up by dragging ?

2021-09-20_18-46-44.gif
2021-09-20_18-46-44.gif (167.57 KiB) Viewed 641 times
ocpaul20

Post by ocpaul20 »

Hi Fred,
Thanks for your reply.
Yes, thats the message window I mean.

I have tried dragging it open, but however hard I try to find a separator to drag/dragging handle I cannot find one so I am fairly sure there is not one there .
I will investigate the .config/geany area and the plugins to see if that is where the problem lies and I will report back if I find a solution.
Paul

To install Busterdog I renamed the /live directory and used the debiandog installed on the (broken) jessie system I was using. So maybe I need to do all this again with a completely clean sda1 disk which is formatted etc?

System: Fanless PC DebianDog Buster Frugal

fredx181

Post by fredx181 »

ocpaul20 wrote: Tue Sep 21, 2021 2:06 am

To install Busterdog I renamed the /live directory and used the debiandog installed on the (broken) jessie system I was using. So maybe I need to do all this again with a completely clean sda1 disk which is formatted etc?

Perhaps yes, anyway check if everything is pure Buster, don't use anything from Jessie e.g. save.

ocpaul20

Post by ocpaul20 »

The case of the missing Message Window...
I have found what caused this.

There was no way I could find a 'handle' to pull up the message window at the bottom of the editor window. It just was not there, and now I realise why.

I looked in /root/.config/geany/geany.conf for items which referenced the message window. All of them seemed OK and set to true to display the message window, etc. As an aside, there is also a -m switch when starting Geany which disables the message window but I had not done that either.

[SOLUTION]
However I found one setting which I changed and there was my message window, but there is a knack to doing that. You cannot change this value from within Geany as the config file seems to be written back when you close Geany as it was originally (back to 691 - see below). So you have to use Nano to edit this value towards the end of the .conf file.

msgwindow_position=691 (Mine was set to 691 for some reason which is below the bottom status bar, so it cannot be seen)
I set it in Nano to some low value like 400 and saved geany.conf Then I opened Geany editor and the message window was there as it should be.

System: Fanless PC DebianDog Buster Frugal

Return to “DebianDogs”