Debian Dog Jessie

a very small Live CD shaped to look and act like Puppy Linux.

Moderator: fredx181

ocpaul20

Re: Debian Dog Jessie

Post by ocpaul20 »

I wonder if anyone has an explanation for this message on my DebianDog Jessie system?

I get this message when I try and use Rox to move a bunch of files from one directory to another. All files are on the same disk drive but it seems to think I am moving remote files. I do not even get a menu to copy,move,link as normally happens.

What do I need to do to get this working as usual please?

Thanks,
Paul

System: Fanless PC DebianDog Buster Frugal

fredx181

Post by fredx181 »

Hi ocpaul20,

I have no idea, to be honest, which Debiandog Jessie ISO ? (so I can try to reproduce)

Fred
ocpaul20

Post by ocpaul20 »

I think it is this one as far as I can tell. Thanks for your help.

# uname -a
Linux jessie 3.16.0-4-686-pae #1 SMP Debian 3.16.7-ckt11-1+deb8u3 (2015-08-04) i686 GNU/Linux

I have a few other weird things as well - such as:
In Geany, I cannot press F5 to execute a Python source program. The Build/Execute(F5) option is greyed out ( as well as 3 other options on that menu - Compile/Build/Set Include & Arguments too)
On the source screen at the bottom, I can use the Terminal tab to run the program within that, but just not from within Geany using F5 Execute

fredx181

Post by fredx181 »

Hi ocpaul20

Tried to reproduce with: DebianDog-Jessie-jwm_icewm-2015-09-02-PAE.iso (but still not sure if it's the same as you, or is it perhaps the openbox-xfce version you use ?)
I cannot reproduce the error you get with rox, tried moving files from folder in /mnt/home/... to another folder on /mnt/home and went fine.
EDIT: or maybe the error is only when moving many files ? (I didn't really test that)

About geany, you can try to install the newer v1.24 from Debian repos;

Code: Select all

apt install geany
But then you have two installs, run the newer with:

/usr/bin/geany
(the older is in /opt/bin, which is first in PATH)

Fred
ocpaul20

Post by ocpaul20 »

Hi Fred,
Yes, I was afraid it was something to do with my setup. Oh well, I can live with it.
I will try the newer geany I think and see if I get more luck with that.
Thanks,
Paul

dancytron

Post by dancytron »

I just booted up my Debian Jessie ChromeDog remaster (which I am pretty sure only Fred and I have ever used) and with a few tricks was able to get Chrome updated and working in the latest version.

I'm sure a few programs have aged out, but it should still be mostly functional.

viewtopic.php?p=4975#p4975

darry19662018

Post by darry19662018 »

Hi Dan,

Thanks for mentioning this will give your spin a try Jessie whether it is 32 or 64bit is my favourite Dog.

dancytron

Post by dancytron »

The trick to getting Chrome to update is to download the latest 64 bit deb from Google and install with a right click. This bypasses the now expired security key for the Google repo.

fredx181

Post by fredx181 »

Note that, soon (after Bullseye becomes stable and therefore Jessie becomes the oldoldoldstable branch) the Jessie repository as it's set in /etc/apt/sources.list probably won't work anymore.
Can be fixed by replacing the debian entries in /etc/apt/sources.list with just: (set to archive.debian.org):

deb http://archive.debian.org/debian jessie main non-free contrib

Fred

darry19662018

Post by darry19662018 »

Thanks Fred.

dancytron

Post by dancytron »

Edit: Make sure that the sources.lst file is correct for jessie before you update before you update to avoid the error of mixing versions a few messages down in this thread.

Original message continues:

I went ahead and remastered mine. I need to package it into an ISO (no quick remaster in Jessie) and I'll post it by tomorrow.

Runs Google Earth on the latest version of Chrome.

ScreenShot.scaled.jpg
ScreenShot.scaled.jpg (177.55 KiB) Viewed 1305 times

edit: Here it is. I got confused which readme files were from which version, so I just put them all in. :lol:

md5sum

root@ChromeDog64:~# md5sum /live/image/JessieChromeDog64/DebianChromeDog64-Jessie-2021-5-23.iso
2e4de924526ec5681d3b693259eadc37  /live/image/JessieChromeDog64/DebianChromeDog64-Jessie-2021-5-23.iso

https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/s/num ... 3.iso?dl=0

edit 9-15-22 I will probably take this down to make room for my new "Debian Bookworm Chromedog with Pulse Audio running as system users" whenever I get around to finishing it.

If for some reason you want it, pm me. --Dan

Last edited by dancytron on Thu Sep 15, 2022 3:18 pm, edited 3 times in total.
darry19662018

Post by darry19662018 »

Thanks Dan,

I'll check it out. :thumbup: :thumbup2: :thumbup2:

ocpaul20

Post by ocpaul20 »

I am trying to install python matplotlib (this same error happens on other installs too although not all - Eg: python-tk ) It seems to be something wrong with libc6 install or else some of the Google search results mention Perl has made this a hard error after a particular release.

How can they depreciate something which causes a critical error and causes stuff to not install?
Anyway, any idea what I can do about this please? I cannot seem to find any answers when I search online.
Can I just upgrade to a later version of Perl perhaps? Would that fix the error for other packages which will not install?
Thanks
Paul

This error copied from Synaptic error box.

(synaptic:30461): GLib-CRITICAL **: g_child_watch_add_full: assertion 'pid > 0' failed
Unescaped left brace in regex is deprecated, passed through in regex; marked by <-- HERE in m/^(.*?)(\\)?\${ <-- HERE ([^{}]+)}(.*)$/ at /usr/share/perl5/Debconf/Question.pm line 72.
Unescaped left brace in regex is deprecated, passed through in regex; marked by <-- HERE in m/\${ <-- HERE ([^}]+)}/ at /usr/share/perl5/Debconf/Config.pm line 30.
Preconfiguring packages ...
dpkg-deb: error: archive '/var/cache/apt/archives/libc6_2.28-10_i386.deb' has premature member 'control.tar.xz' before 'control.tar.gz', giving up
dpkg: error processing archive /var/cache/apt/archives/libc6_2.28-10_i386.deb (--unpack):
 subprocess dpkg-deb --control returned error exit status 2
Errors were encountered while processing:
 /var/cache/apt/archives/libc6_2.28-10_i386.deb
E: Sub-process /usr/bin/dpkg returned an error code (1)
A package failed to install.  Trying to recover:

fredx181

Post by fredx181 »

Hi ocpaul20,

First thing I notice is that the libc6 version you're trying to install isn't part of the Jessie repository (libc6 version for Jessie is 2.19-18).
I belongs to Buster (2.28-10) :

2021-09-18-083301_760x215_scrot.png
2021-09-18-083301_760x215_scrot.png (23.63 KiB) Viewed 1253 times

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Did you perhaps add the Buster repo in /etc/apt/sources.list ?, if so, it won't work as expected.

ocpaul20

Post by ocpaul20 »

Thanks for your reply Fred.
Not aware I have a buster repository but something may have got mixed up along the way.
My /etc/apt/sources.list has been changed to the Chinese mirror as the more traditional links often take longer to update Synaptic package lists and sometimes fail.
This is how it stands at the moment and is what I have been using. Please let me know if this is wrong.

#
# ========== jessie old stable repository ================
deb http://ftp.cn.debian.org/debian/ oldstable main contrib non-free
deb http://ftp.cn.debian.org/debian/ oldstable-updates main contrib non-free
deb http://ftp.cn.debian.org/debian-security/ oldstable/updates main
#
deb http://security.debian.org/ jessie/updates main contrib non-free
deb http://www.deb-multimedia.org oldoldstable main

In case anything else causes this effect I have included a screenshot of both the /live squashfiles and the Synaptic details of libc6. I cannot remeber why I had the libgl1-mesa squashfs in there but it does NOT load anyway as there is no extension(.squashfs) to the file.

dancytron

Post by dancytron »

I would guess that perhaps your somewhat old devx file has an incompatibility with your somewhat more up to date other stuff.

Maybe regenerate your devx file or boot without your changes file/directory and see what happens.

edit: have you remastered and how did you do it?

fredx181

Post by fredx181 »

Hi ocpaul20,

deb http://ftp.cn.debian.org/debian/ oldstable main contrib non-free

The "oldstable" is equivalent to "buster" nowadays (few years ago jessie was oldstable, now it's oldoldoldstable) , that you have in your repository list, also stretch-multimedia (=oldoldstable) and Jessie (updates) =oldoldoldstable.
Sorry to say, but IMO it's wrong to mix different Debian branches and it's asking for trouble :cry:
It should be all jessie (or oldoldoldstable) in sources.list, or maybe if you make it e.g. all stretch (oldoldstable) in sources.list and do a dist-upgrade (apt dist-upgrade), it may work ok too (although it may need some fixes), but again, do not mix.
But, to be honest, I think you better start from scratch (pure Jessie), with fresh save , because I think too much harm is already done to fix this situation.
EDIT: or install e.g. Busterdog if you'd like to use newer software.

ocpaul20

Post by ocpaul20 »

Yes you are both probably right in that I should upgrade to a later version and reinstall all the packages I have downloaded. I was hoping to put it off a while longer but there are bits and pieces not working now and so it is about the right time.

Thank you for your input and help.

dancytron

Post by dancytron »

I just ran an upgrade on my old Debian Chrome Dog Jessie 64 and Chrome upgraded just fine in synaptic and seems to work in all respects.

A few of the original repos are missing, but didn't seem to matter.

Posting from it now.

Google Chrome
Version 100.0.4896.75 (Official Build) (64-bit)

edit: As of 7-21-22 Chrome will no longer update, presumably because it needs a newer glibc now. :cry: :cry:

Return to “DebianDogs”