Forum for vanilla woof-CE builds?

Ideas and discussion

dimkr

Forum for vanilla woof-CE builds?

Post by dimkr »

The dpup you can build with unmodified woof-CE is getting closer and closer to release quality. It's relatively small, RAM usage is smaller than that of many "mainline" Puppies, and it has nice features like Bluetooth audio support.

The latest scheduled builds in https://github.com/puppylinux-woof-CE/w ... /build.yml are pretty usable IMHO, but there's no place where new builds can be announced, and users can give feedback.

IMHO creations like this dpup should be encouraged - whatever can be built with woof-CE without any modifications can be easily reproduced, easily modified and easily improved upon. Also, the use of unmodified woof-CE makes it easier to adapt special features for use in other Puppies (the GTK+ theme petbuilds are good examples).

Therefore, I think vanilla woof-CE builds deserve a sub-forum under "Mainline Puppy Linux Distros".

@rockedge and others, what do you think?

rockedge
Site Admin

Re: Forum for vanilla woof-CE builds?

Post by rockedge »

I like the idea. Need a good title. In the running is "Standard woof_CE Builds" or "Vanilla woof_CE Builds"

Clarity

Post by Clarity »

Looking forward.

In review, I see 3 areas of choice for placement in the current forum's design:

1. Board index>Advanced Topics>Puppy Projects>woof-CE

2. Board index>Mainline Distributions>Mainline Puppy Linux Distros

3. and this

Where3.jpg
    Where3.jpg (15.24 KiB) Viewed 502 times

Great creativity presented in your distros, @dimkr .

GMBudwrench

Post by GMBudwrench »

Not to hijack the thread, is this an independent pup, not reliant on any Ubuntu or Slack distro? I’ve been sort of hoping for something like this.

HP G71 Wins10 64 bit, 2.2ghz 320gb hdd, Bionicpup64 on a WD 500gb portable HDD.

wiak

Post by wiak »

Clarity wrote: Thu Sep 09, 2021 11:01 pm

Looking forward.

In review, I see 3 areas of choice for placement in the current forum's design:

[*]and thisWhere3.jpg[/list]
Great creativity presented in your distros, @dimkr .

It appears to be a Puppy and not one of the Dogs so should be in already huge number of Puppy provided sections. Maybe entry under "Mainline", maybe "Puppy Projects" or whatever dimkr prefers.

GMBudwrench wrote: Thu Sep 09, 2021 11:10 pm

Not to hijack the thread, is this an independent pup, not reliant on any Ubuntu or Slack distro? I’ve been sort of hoping for something like this.

It appears to use upstream Debian repos (hence dpup) and not independent in repo sense.

What does "vanilla" woof-CE mean exactly? Isn't it just a branch of woof-CE using some alternative bits and pieces but woof-CE nevertheless?

https://www.tinylinux.info/
DOWNLOAD wd_multi for hundreds of 'distros' at your fingertips: viewtopic.php?p=99154#p99154
Αξίζει να μεταφραστεί;

dimkr

Post by dimkr »

wiak wrote: Fri Sep 10, 2021 3:15 am

What does "vanilla" woof-CE mean exactly?

It means it's a Puppy you can build with woof-CE, the way it is in https://github.com/puppylinux-woof-CE/woof-CE and without any manual modifications or manual hacks during the build.

rockedge wrote: Thu Sep 09, 2021 6:43 pm

I like the idea. Need a good title. In the running is "Standard woof_CE Builds" or "Vanilla woof_CE Builds"

To avoid confusion between the "dpup" built with the unmodified woof-CE and other "dpup"s floating around, which are far more complete and polished (by @josejp2424, @radky ...), I opened https://github.com/puppylinux-woof-CE/woof-CE/pull/2494. I like the "vanilla" designation better, because "standard" may come across as "official", "stable", "ready for general consumption", etc'.

I'll try to see if there's a simple and clean way to add an "unmodified woof-CE" stamp of approval to the release notes of Puppies built without modifications, to make it easy to tell if a Puppy can be reproduced with woof-CE.

wiak

Post by wiak »

dimkr wrote: Fri Sep 10, 2021 5:33 am

I'll try to see if there's a simple and clean way to add an "unmodified woof-CE" stamp of approval to the release notes of Puppies built without modifications, to make it easy to tell if a Puppy can be reproduced with woof-CE.

decided to keep my thoughts to myself

https://www.tinylinux.info/
DOWNLOAD wd_multi for hundreds of 'distros' at your fingertips: viewtopic.php?p=99154#p99154
Αξίζει να μεταφραστεί;

dimkr

Post by dimkr »

wiak wrote: Fri Sep 10, 2021 6:50 am

My understanding is that new 'builds' would not be 'reproductions' but instead contain any underlying dev changes. Otherwise, why keep rebuilding the exact same Puppy?

If there's a Puppy you like and you don't have the customized woof-CE used to build it, you can't rebuild it with a different window manager, updated packages and new features added to latest woof-CE. And the latest woof-CE may be incompatible with its configuration files, if you decide to give up on the customizations and build something similar instead.

A Puppy built using unmodified woof-CE is maintained together with woof-CE, so you can always build it with all updates and features, or build it with woof-CE with customizations that are non-trivial to do in a remaster.

bigpup

Post by bigpup »

I feel this is something that should only be available on github/Woof=CE

Unless I am wrong.
All this would be is a core base building block of Woof-CE, as it was at the time downloaded.
One of the parts, used to build, a full working, finished, Puppy OS.

This is part of what Woof-CE is and needs to stay in Woof-CE at Github.

Think of it this way.
This is the engine that runs Puppy OS.
But it still needs the other software that makes it a full featured Puppy OS.
Yes you could just run the engine, but what about the doors, dashboard, fancy heated seats, stereo high tech radio, etc.......

Forum Global Moderator
The things you do not tell us, are usually the clue to fixing the problem.
When I was a kid, I wanted to be older.
This is not what I expected :o

dimkr

Post by dimkr »

The problem is that most Puppy releases (Fossapup64, Bionicpup64, @peebee's various builds ... basically, everything except Slacko) are built using woof-CE, configuration files, and sometimes even modifications to woof-CE itself. The configuration files and the modifications to woof-CE are added manually, and they're not part of the woof-CE git repository. They're not version controlled, and not available for download directly.

Any Puppy that cannot be built with woof-CE, without additions and changes, is not reproducible by users, or at least, not easy to reproduce, or cannot be reproduced without losing functionality.

Also, configuration files that are not included in the woof-CE repo become incompatible with the latest woof-CE over time. However, the configurations officially supported woof-CE, which sit in woof-CE's repo, are built continuously to ensure they don't break over time (https://github.com/puppylinux-woof-CE/w ... /build.yml).

That's why I encourage Puppy developers to push the configuration files into woof-CE, and merge their woof-CE modifications into upstream woof-CE (through pull requests, peer review, etc'), in a way that makes them available to any woof-CE user, but also makes them optional if they upset other woof-CE users.

Return to “Forum Organization & Structure Council”