Fossapup64 Builds Not Really 100%?

Moderators: 666philb, Forum moderators

rockedge
Site Admin

Fossapup64 Builds Not Really 100%?

Post by rockedge »

Downloaded build-x86_64-ubuntu-focal64-12.zip from the Github builds, installed it and it started but finding things that are not working and or displaying correctly. The main problem first off is encoding....across the board. Every program I open is showing gibberish. Icons missing, links not working, desktop backgrounds really distorted and out of focus and some programs like mtPaint report that the package does not exist. It is there, but seg faults.

This I have now tried on 2 different Dell Optiplex's which have run every Puppy and Dog I've thrown at them. I have removed the frugal install and will try again down the road. I really needed a Fossa64 based web server but that will wait and I'll do the work on a WeeDog64-Void for now

Screenshot.png
Screenshot.png (199.68 KiB) Viewed 692 times
Screenshot(1).png
Screenshot(1).png (160.81 KiB) Viewed 692 times
bigpup

Re: Fossapup64 Builds Not Really 100%?

Post by bigpup »

Downloaded build-x86_64-ubuntu-focal64-12.zip from the Github builds

How is this Fossapup64 9.5?? :?

Forum Global Moderator
The things you do not tell us, are usually the clue to fixing the problem.
When I was a kid, I wanted to be older.
This is not what I expected :o

dimkr

Post by dimkr »

These builds are what happens if you take woof-CE as-is, and the included configuration files for what presents itself as "Fossapup64".

Originally, 9.5 was built using a manual process that involves multiple runs of woof-CE, and stuff like themes and applications got inserted into the build using a manually-built .pet package. These hacks had to be removed due to conflicts with changes in woof-CE.

We need someone who's willing to put in the effort of re-implementing 9.5, using one clean run of unmodified woof-CE, to allow people to rebuild and customize it using woof-CE. (It's possible because now woof-CE can produce the adrv properly, so there's no need to run it twice and stuff the delta between the two runs inside the adrv manually.)

BarryK

Post by BarryK »

rockedge wrote: Mon May 10, 2021 2:12 pm

The main problem first off is encoding....across the board. Every program I open is showing gibberish.

How frustrating! ...I have seen that gibberish text before, and there was a fix. But now I can't recall what the cause was, nor the fix.

BarryK

Post by BarryK »

@rockedge ,

BarryK wrote: Tue May 11, 2021 8:58 am

The main problem first off is encoding....across the board. Every program I open is showing gibberish.

How frustrating! ...I have seen that gibberish text before, and there was a fix. But now I can't recall what the cause was, nor the fix.

I wondered if maybe I had posted something about this to my blog, in years past. No, but there was something last year, a problem with pango:

https://bkhome.org/news/202009/pango-ve ... aster.html

Pango 1.44+ has dropped support for bitmap and type1 fonts. So if FossaPup is still using Type1 fonts, and pango >1.43, then they will only display as rectangles.

The pups used to use Nimbus Mono for the monospaced font, which is a Type1 font, and that is what Geany would be using. Pretty good bet that is the cause of the problem.

rockedge
Site Admin

Post by rockedge »

@BarryK I ran across a "Pango" discussion somewhere recently which I read because of the other encoding conversions I am doing on the improved murga forum database I have cooking on a Fossapup64-9.5 web server that is running really well. This Fossapup64 is from the ISO from the regular distro collection.

This pango issue does appear to be a clue to what I am seeing. I think I'll reinstall the github build and tackle the problems one by one and see what happens.

666philb

Post by 666philb »

when i get a bit of time i will look into recreating fossapup in the new woofce .

this could also be an update! if so, what would you like to add/change in fossapup?
for me i would be adding pulseaudio, as a lot of steam games now require it.

taersh

Post by taersh »

If Pulse audio would be added, there should be an option to disable Pulse audio at boot.

My Music:
https://soundcloud.com/user-633698367
Using my own build of Bionic64
The far-left is as fascist as the far-right is!

Grey

Post by Grey »

666philb wrote: Fri May 14, 2021 5:35 pm

for me i would be adding pulseaudio, as a lot of steam games now require it.

taersh wrote: Fri May 14, 2021 6:23 pm

If Pulse audio would be added, there should be an option to disable Pulse audio at boot.

On the one hand, my nephew and I recently tried to launch Shadow Warrior Classic Redux in Fossapup. The game started before the menu, and then crashes due to the lack of PulseAudio.
But on the other hand, many users spit at the screen with rage when they hear about PulseAudio. So yes, there should probably be a switch.

Fossapup OS, Ryzen 5 3600 CPU, 64 GB RAM, GeForce GTX 1050 Ti 4 GB, Sound Blaster Audigy Rx with amplifier + Yamaha speakers for loud sound, USB Sound Blaster X-Fi Surround 5.1 Pro V3 + headphones for quiet sound.

666philb

Post by 666philb »

pulseaudio and retrovol can live side by side.

easily installed from the PPM (it will say it's already installed but reinstall it) then i just start it with a script in /root/Startup

Code: Select all

#!/bin/sh
killall pulseaudio &
killall pasystray &
sleep 0.2
exec pulseaudio &
exec pasystray
fi

it is needed for a lot of steam games nowadays and has been ok for the most part although not tried with spot stuff. plus it may make bluetooth simpler in theory.

would be easy to have a switch to turn on and off

dimkr

Post by dimkr »

when i get a bit of time i will look into recreating fossapup in the new woofce .

:thumbup:

if so, what would you like to add/change in fossapup?

I think the most important thing is aligning it with slacko 8.x and dpup bullseye, the two Puppy variants in active development. Both have PulseAudio, GTK+ 3 with traditional Puppy themes, support for translations in the JWM menu, updateable 5.10.x kernels, improved tray icons, improved keyboard shortcuts and much more.

All these goodies come 'for free' when using latest woof-CE, but some packages, like retrovol, JWM/GTK theme change tools, etc', may conflict with pa-applet, ptheme, etc', so fossapup needs to be 'cleaned up'.

Also, I'd like to unscd (DNS cache, speeds up browsing), Liberation fonts (which make websites look the same as in other distros), bash completion, fontconfig-config in xorg_base_new (to use Ubuntu's better font rendering settings) and auto-enabled firewall+ad blocking. All these things are included in dpup (everything is in woof-CE) and shouldn't be hard to adopt for fossapup as well - I can help here.

666philb

Post by 666philb »

Downloaded build-x86_64-ubuntu-focal64-12.zip from the Github builds, installed it and it started but finding things that are not working and or displaying correctly. The main problem first off is encoding....across the board. Every program I open is showing gibberish. Icons missing, links not working, desktop backgrounds really distorted and out of focus and some programs like mtPaint report that the package does not exist. It is there, but seg faults.

This I have now tried on 2 different Dell Optiplex's which have run every Puppy and Dog I've thrown at them. I have removed the frugal install and will try again down the road. I really needed a Fossa64 based web server but that will wait and I'll do the work on a WeeDog64-Void for now

Screenshot.png

Screenshot(1).png

hi @rockedge
to fix the fonts issue re-install fontconfig & fontconfig-config from the ppm and restart X

rockedge
Site Admin

Post by rockedge »

@666philb Excellent. will do and I'll post the result!

rockedge
Site Admin

Post by rockedge »

@666philb Totally worked! I have to say now that I can see characters correctly, this Fossapup64-9.0.5 is running well. Very spiffy on a Dell Optiplex 990 desktop

dimkr

Post by dimkr »

@rockedge the issue is fixed in https://github.com/puppylinux-woof-CE/woof-CE/pull/2260, and so are other issues, like proper PulseAudio support :thumbup:

The first automated build after this is merged should be pretty usable.

dimkr

Post by dimkr »

I did a test build, you can find it in https://github.com/dimkr/woof-CE/releas ... eprealpha1.

Clarity

Post by Clarity »

Hi @dimkr. I've tested your WoofCE Focal64-051921. Downloaded ISO to SG2D USB stick and booted directly to desktop with no issues. All took less than 2 min 30 seconds (for download completion+FossaPUP shutdown+reboot of USB to the SG2D menu showing Focal64) with an addition 45 seconds to Focal64's desktop.

I setup the initial desktop, setup SAMBA sharing, added Chrome browser, PBurn, PeasyDisc, and notepadqq. On shutdown, session saved as an entry in my /Sessions folder on the ext4 partition. All session elements survived and is found on reboot.

My only concern is GParted v1.0 as it needs an upgrade to see exFAT partitions and other filesystems, as well. This upgrade may be needed for all upcoming WoofCE PUPs.

Very nice production.

GMBudwrench

Post by GMBudwrench »

Try saving as a ext3 frugal save file. Mine hangs on shut down after creating a save file. I have a snapshot but it’s too big

HP G71 Wins10 64 bit, 2.2ghz 320gb hdd, Bionicpup64 on a WD 500gb portable HDD.

GMBudwrench

Post by GMBudwrench »

HP G71 Wins10 64 bit, 2.2ghz 320gb hdd, Bionicpup64 on a WD 500gb portable HDD.

Return to “Fossapup64”