A Source Based Pup.... Possible???

Building a Puppy Linux OS

Moderator: Forum moderators

darry19662018

A Source Based Pup.... Possible???

Post by darry19662018 »

With the reliance on other distros causing a few issues with installing packages that overwrites Puppy files ie. Audacious in Slackware Puppies - should we look at a Puppy built from source?....

The package manager could download the source for the program you require and then process it into the program you require. We have Pkg from Scottman could this be possible??? Your thoughts guys???

As an aside I enjoy Archpup definately a Pup worth persevering with - gives me the least problems and using Arch32 sources is very cool.

Clarity

Re: A Source Based Pup.... Possible???

Post by Clarity »

Would DEVX be the current solution?

s243a

Post by s243a »

Debian has source repositories where you can download the source and build the package from source:

Code: Select all

apt-get --build source package_name

https://wiki.debian.org/Packaging/SourcePackage

I don't know if pkg has any tools built into it to use the source repos from another distro. I know that such an approach wouldn't be exactly what you are asking for but using source repos helps to ensure that package versions can play nicely together.

I think that both gentoo and arch also have source repositories. Actually the specs for the arch builds (from source) remind me of the tools that fatdog64 uses to build packages.

darry19662018

Post by darry19662018 »

Thanks S243a.

foxpup

Post by foxpup »

@BarryK builds packages with OE (dunfell) for EasyOS.

BarryK

Post by BarryK »

Yes, EasyOS Dunfell-series is built with packages compiled from source in OpenEmbedded:

https://bkhome.org/news/202104/easyos-d ... eased.html

There are old versions of Puppy built from packages compiled in T2 (also known as t2sde). Woof had a script to import them, that is, the binary packages, from T2, however, I think it was early 2020 that one of the woof-CE developers removed that import script, the script was called '0pre-t2'.

However, woofQ still has that script, and a new one, '0pre-oe' for importing the binary packages from OE.

It should be possible to use '0pre-oe' in woof-CE. There are a few small details that would have to be fixed.

See my blog post for the OE tarball. The host system that I used is EasyOS Dunfell 2.6.2, but 2.7 also ok. You will need a ext4 partition with at least 250GB free, and a swap partition. SSD preferred, otherwise you will be waiting days for it to build. The 'devx' SFS is of course required. And fast Internet.

OE should work with a Puppy host, but I haven't tested.

BarryK

Post by BarryK »

My packages compiled in OE are online:

http://distro.ibiblio.org/easyos/amd64/ ... e/dunfell/

So it should be possible to get woof-CE to build a puppy from them. You wouldn't need '0pre-oe'.

EDIT:
That is, if you are ok with my configure choices. It looks like the mainstream puppies are going over to pulseaudio, whereas I am sticking with alsa. I don't have any compelling reason to change, bluetooth audio for example, works fine.

s243a

Post by s243a »

BarryK wrote: Sat Apr 17, 2021 11:42 am

My packages compiled in OE are online:

http://distro.ibiblio.org/easyos/amd64/ ... e/dunfell/

So it should be possible to get woof-CE to build a puppy from them. You wouldn't need '0pre-oe'.

EDIT:
That is, if you are ok with my configure choices. It looks like the mainstream puppies are going over to pulseaudio, whereas I am sticking with alsa. I don't have any compelling reason to change, bluetooth audio for example, works fine.

I think that most puppy users will be okay with either alsa or pulseaudio so from that perspective your configuration options should be suitable.

Return to “woof-CE”