Confused by Puppy names

Moderators: 666philb, Forum moderators

ahoppin

Confused by Puppy names

Post by ahoppin »

I guess this is another confused pup like Tahrpup was, where instead of following the first-name pattern set by Lucid, Precise, Xenial, and Bionic, and being a loyal Trusty puppy, it was a cross-breeding between a tahr and a dog.

Tahr was weird enough, crossing a tahr (goat) with a dog, but now we're crossing a fossa (civet) with a dog. How are we going to know what it means when it wags its tail?

bigpup

Re: Confused puppy

Post by bigpup »

What are you talking about?????

Blame Ubuntu for the Fossa name!!
Ubuntu 20.04 (Focal Fossa, as this release is known)

I guess it could be called Focalpup :roll:

The fossa (Cryptoprocta ferox) is the largest carnivorous mammal on the island of Madagascar. They can reach nearly six feet in length, with half of that due to their long tails. They look like a cross between a cat, a dog, and a mongoose. Fossas have slender bodies, muscular limbs, and short, reddish-brown coats

Forum Global Moderator
The things you do not tell us, are usually the clue to fixing the problem.
When I was a kid, I wanted to be older.
This is not what I expected :o

wiak

Post by wiak »

bigpup wrote: Tue Jan 05, 2021 5:22 am

I guess it could be called Focalpup :roll:

I'm surprised the Puppy release wasn't called FocalPup (after all Bionic Beaver release was called BionicPup...). The WeeDogLinux releases will in fact use Focal in their names, and not Fossa.

https://www.tinylinux.info/
DOWNLOAD wd_multi for hundreds of 'distros' at your fingertips: viewtopic.php?p=99154#p99154
Αξίζει να μεταφραστεί;

cobaka

Post by cobaka »

@ahoppin
When you post, please consider those who will read your words.
If your meaning is not clearly stated, you waste the valuable time of other forum members.

cobaka.

собака --> это Русский --> an old dog
"so-baka" (not "co", as in coast or crib).

thinkpadfreak

Post by thinkpadfreak »

Apart from Fossapup64, there exists Focalpup64.

Puppy_Linux_FocalPup
https://archive.org/details/Puppy_Linux_FocalPup

666philb may have adopted the name Fossapup64 in order to avoid a confusion.
Focalpup (32bit) and Focalpup64 do not seem to be discussed in this forum.
Probably anyone can create a Puppy as long as it satisfies certain conditons ...
:?

ahoppin

Post by ahoppin »

Sorry, I thought it was pretty clear. Wiak got it straight away. I'm sure we're not the only people here who use a dictionary.

The Ubuntu naming convention is to use an animal name preceded by an adjective, no? Until Tahr, Ubuntu based pups adopted the Ubuntu adjective for their names. So, our puppies based on Ubuntu Lucid Lynx and Precise Pangolin were lucid and precise ones. (Lucid Puppy was an especially good and faithful dog.) That made perfect sense.

Tahr, derived from Ubuntu Trusty Tahr, was the odd dog out. Tahr is a kind of goat, so instead of having a trusty puppy, we had a goat puppy, which conjures up some mighty interesting mind images!

It was back to the former naming tradition for Xenial Puppy, despite the fact that xenial is an adjective that applies to plants, not animals.

Bionic Pup also held to the original standard.

Then Fossa followed the divergent Tahr model of double-animals. A fossa is a kind of cat or civet, so now we have a cat puppy - an odd creature indeed!

Does this naming inconsistency matter to the OS's performance? Of course not. Does it matter to the Linux community's perception of Puppy? I don't know. I'll bow out here and leave that question as an exercise for the reader. :-)

666philb

Re: Confused by Puppy names

Post by 666philb »

i thought trustypup was a bit cheesy so broke convention and went with tahrpup,
and fossapup did start as focalpup .... but again i preferred fossapup so changed to that.

sorry for the confusion :)

Return to “Fossapup64”