The only condition I can find where Ventoy will *NOT* boot EasyOS

Moderator: BarryK

HarveyH

The only condition I can find where Ventoy will *NOT* boot EasyOS

Post by HarveyH »

Ventoy works like a champ when booting an image of EasyOS from a SSD-based Ventoy system (see an older thread of mine) *except* when you let EasyOS update itself (5.8.1 to 5.8.2 or 5.8.2 to 5.8.3). The next time it boots and does it's voodoo where it creates some kind of new .sfs file is the last time that image will successfully boot. On the next boot and after, all you get is lots of errors about missing files.Something in the update process seems to confuse Ventoy.

Not a big deal I guess. The solution is to just save your data to some other drive/partition, make a nice new clean img file from the new version of EOS, and put your data back. EasyOS was never *meant* to work with Ventoy, so I guess one single "bug" is bearable. If you are using a HDD/SSD-based Ventoy and want to update the OS, view it as a clean install instead of an automatic update. Except for this one bad thing, Ventoy works great with EasyOS.

To be clear: Having EasyOS on a flashdrive and using Ventoy to boot and update the flashdrive works fine. The bug is when you are booting from an EasyOS *image*. In that case, updating borks the image and it wont boot anymore after the update is 100% complete.
The only way I have found to update an image-based Ventoy EasyOS is to not update it. lol
Treat a new version of EasyOS as a brand-new clean install. You know, Back up your data, do a new install and restore your data.

How sad, since other that that, EasyOS works great with Ventoy.

Thanos

Re: The only condition I can find where Ventoy will *NOT* boot EasyOS

Post by Thanos »

I download the newest image file,never use the update function.

HarveyH

Post by HarveyH »

Yes; a new clean install. Not a big deal, I guess; it's just annoying.

HarveyH

Post by HarveyH »

BTW, if anybody wants to do all this, I was *not* able to get the newest Ventoy, 1.0.98 to boot on my system. You may have to use 1.0.97.

Thanos

Post by Thanos »

Yes, 1.0.98 can't boot on some computer in UEFI mode.

Clarity

Post by Clarity »

Report this to Ventoy AND THEY WILL FIX. They have a 'long' past where they address issues that distros report.

Last edited by Clarity on Thu May 30, 2024 8:37 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Clarity

Post by Clarity »

P.S. Does EAsyOS have a "key" and is it registered in the UEFI? Seems IIRC, this is a feature of booting EasyOS on UEFI-SecureBoot PCs.

If so, I dont remember where the instructions are kept.

My memory of this could be wrong.

HarveyH

Post by HarveyH »

If EasyOS has a key, then Ventory would not be needed. I hope it does.
All that happens for me when I try to directly boot EasyOS is that my system tells me the secure boot policy is preventing the drive from booting. Hence I use Ventoy to bypass that problem and boot it anyway.

Yes, if you can find a way to get EasyOS to pop up that blue "Would you like to enroll a MOK key" screen (or whatever it says ... PLEASE tell me how. All is does with now is say, No way, eh!" when I directly boot EasyOS.

Barry, can you add an enroll key thing please and thank you? Maybe you can make the computer think the OS is Debian. That OS boots fine natively.

HarveyH

Post by HarveyH »

HarveyH wrote: Sun May 26, 2024 4:33 am

BTW, if anybody wants to do all this, I was *not* able to get the newest Ventoy, 1.0.98 to boot on my system. You may have to use 1.0.97.

Old news. The *newest* version of Ventoy, 1.0.99 works fine.

TLDR: Don't use Ventoy V 1.0.98.

Return to “EasyOS”