Kernel updates

Moderators: kirk, jamesbond, p310don, JakeSFR, step, Forum moderators

jamesbond

Kernel updates

Post by jamesbond »

Updated kernels are available: http://distro.ibiblio.org/fatdog/kernels/900/
The kernel sources are downloadable using SFS Manager.

Changes:
- 6.1.90 added SND_SOC_SOF needed for certain intel platforms.
- 6.1.90-debconfig is the same kernel configured using Debian kernel configuration, suitably modified for booting Fatdog.
Both are plain vanilla kernel patched with AUFS; and both have extra drivers for 8812au, 8821cu, 8818eu, and of course, wl.

The debconfig kernel was built based on this discussion here (but not following the exact same process, for example, I used vanilla kernel instead of Debian-patched one).

Neo_78

Re: Kernel updates

Post by Neo_78 »

Thanks @jamesbond! :thumbup:

Could you explain the exact difference between vmlinuz-6.1.90 and vmlinuz-6.1.90-debconfig? Why would one use one kernel version over the other?

Will there be a new Fatdog iso image that incorporates the new kernel?

jamesbond

Post by jamesbond »

Neo_78 wrote: Tue May 21, 2024 12:52 am

Could you explain the exact difference between vmlinuz-6.1.90 and vmlinuz-6.1.90-debconfig?

The 6.1.90 kernel is configured using Fatdog's kernel configuration, the same configuration that has been used in earlier Fatdog kernels and releases (the addition being the enablement of the SND_SOC_SOF drivers).

The 6.1.90-debconfig, as its name says, is configured using Debian kernel's configuration, as the link the first post explains. But as a kernel using pure Debian configuration won't boot Fatdog, so it is minimally modified (e.g. inclusion of aufs, storage drivers, keyboard drivers etc as a built-in instead of modules) to make it work.

Why would one use one kernel version over the other?

Different kernel configuration leads to different performance and compatibility trade-off. Perhaps one kernel is more compatible for your machine, than the other. The only way to know is to test it. Hence, we make it available for people who are interested.

Will there be a new Fatdog iso image that incorporates the new kernel?

Yes, when we make a new release.
But no, not for this particular 6.1.90 kernel release (not a public one anyway).

Neo_78

Post by Neo_78 »

Thanks for the explanation @jamesbond. I never had any problems with hardware support in FatDog in the past, so I guess I will use the standard 6.1.90 kernel, which also seems to be smaller.

I actually have never attempted to remaster a FatDog ISO booted into RAM-only mode with a different kernel version and create a new live boot medium with it.

Can I simply use this guide?

https://distro.ibiblio.org/fatdog/web/faqs/kernel.html

"Preferred method - Replace the original kernel-modules.sfs in the initrd with the one you downloaded:

1) Click on your initrd file. After a while the initrd will be extracted into a working folder and a new ROX window will open.
2) Replace the kernel-modules.sfs with the one you downloaded. Make sure it's named "kernel-modules.sfs".
3) Click on repack-initrd and the initrd will be updated.
4) Replace the original vmlinuz with the one you downloaded."

Thanks for your feedback!

jamesbond

Post by jamesbond »

Neo_78 wrote: Tue May 21, 2024 11:27 pm

Can I simply use this guide?

"Preferred method - Replace the original kernel-modules.sfs in the initrd with the one you downloaded:

This works, but it assumes that your initrd is located in read-write media (e.g. in your harddisk, flash drive, etc). If you're booting off from from read-only media such as ISO image or DVD, then it won't work because you can't modify the initrd.

If you just want to try but not commit yourself to the new kernel, the way to do it is here: https://distro.ibiblio.org/fatdog/web/f ... ernel.html

Neo_78

Post by Neo_78 »

So if I understand you correctly, it is technically not possible to boot from the default FatDog-DVD into RAM and create a new remastered ISO that will include the new kernel version?

jamesbond

Post by jamesbond »

Of course you can, if that's what you want.

During the remaster process, the remaster will stop twice.
The first stop is to allow you to edit the contents of the filesystem that is going to be remastered.
The second stop is to allow you to edit the contents of the boot menu.

Pay attention at this second stop. At this stop, a ROX window will open that will allow you to access the new initrd. Open that initrd, replace the kernel-modules.sfs in it with the new kernel's kernel-modules.sfs, and then re-pack.

The continue the remaster process as usual.

Neo_78

Post by Neo_78 »

Great, so at this second stop of the remastering process that you mentioned I can then simply follow this guide ("preferred method"), correct?

If I download the new vmlinuz and kernel-modules files to the /tmp directory, the actual downloaded files won't be included in the remastered iso, right? The /tmp folder is not included in the remastered iso? Just to keep the size of the new iso as small as possible...

jamesbond

Post by jamesbond »

Neo_78 wrote: Thu May 23, 2024 8:09 pm

Great, so at this second stop of the remastering process that you mentioned I can then simply follow this guide ("preferred method"), correct?

Correct

The /tmp folder is not included in the remastered iso?

Correct, /tmp is a scratch RAM location so it never goes into the remaster.

Clarity

Post by Clarity »

Hello @jamesbond
Is there a modern test FD ISO or 2 that might address this FD ISO file boot problem on a Laptop?

Neo_78

Post by Neo_78 »

Just a last question:

Are there checksum files for the kernel files and modules?

I cannot find them in the kernel folder:

https://distro.ibiblio.org/fatdog/kernels/900/

Thanks!

jamesbond

Post by jamesbond »

Neo_78 wrote: Sat May 25, 2024 11:42 pm

Are there checksum files for the kernel files and modules?

There weren't before, but I've just added them.

Clarity wrote: Fri May 24, 2024 4:22 am

Hello @jamesbond
Is there a modern test FD ISO or 2 that might address this FD ISO file boot problem on a Laptop?

It's being addressed as we speak. Fatdog itself is fine, it's just that the grub2 bootloader is having a hickup on that particular machine.

Neo_78

Post by Neo_78 »

Thanks @jamesbond :thumbup:

I justed noted in the kernel folder that there is also a range of different microcode-update cpio files.

The microcode can be downloaded during the remastering process when you create a new iso. If I change the kernel version during the remastering process, do I also have to change the microcode file and how would I do that?

Thanks for your feedback!

jamesbond

Post by jamesbond »

They're both independent of each other. The remaster script always pull the latest microcode.

Neo_78

Post by Neo_78 »

Thanks @jamesbond! I was able to create an iso with the new kernel, which booted succesfully and runs stable without any issues so far. Great job! :thumbup:

Return to “Software”