annoying horizontal scroll bar

Moderators: dimkr, Forum moderators

darksun

annoying horizontal scroll bar

Post by darksun »

Hi,

With vanilladpup I experience an annoying horizontal scroll bar in several windows, which often covers some content of them and in the worst case scenario even prevents from selecting/clicking what is inside it easily. It needs some playing around the the mouse cursor as the bar appears momentarily when the mouse overs the affected windows.

As shown below, it happens when I use xarchiver and the print pop-up window from the default pdf reader, at least.

https://ibb.co/2n2cQ0q below CUPS-PDF there is another entry, covered by the scroll bar.

https://ibb.co/F7TJ5v7

If this is reproducible by other users and is not only my issue probably it should be fixed in the next upcoming releases?
If this depends on specific configurations and is not reproducible, could someone suggest how to fix it?

Thank you

mikewalsh

Re: annoying horizontal scroll bar

Post by mikewalsh »

I could be wrong - probably AM - but I suspect it may have summat to do with the gtk3/4 stuff. I've noticed that with any Pup built with Woof-CE from the last 2-3 years, many windows/popups/etc in many traditional Puppy apps & utilities seem to be a HELL of a lot wider than they ever used to be.

Perhaps newer GTK builds are now coded to include a lot more "white space", which is such a seemingly popular part of the current design paradigm in all distros?

(*shrug...*)

Mike. ;)

Puppy "stuff" ~ MORE Puppy "stuff" ~ ....and MORE! :D

dimkr

Post by dimkr »

Do you see the same problems if you change the GTK+ theme to Adwaita?

darksun

Post by darksun »

dimkr wrote: Sat May 18, 2024 1:30 pm

Do you see the same problems if you change the GTK+ theme to Adwaita?

I cannot see that theme

bigpup

Post by bigpup »

What specific version of vanilla Dpup???

Forum Global Moderator
The things you do not tell us, are usually the clue to fixing the problem.
When I was a kid, I wanted to be older.
This is not what I expected :o

darksun

Post by darksun »

bigpup wrote: Sun May 19, 2024 1:29 am

What specific version of vanilla Dpup???

the latest , 10.0.53, but this issues is present since the first time I started using vanilladpup, at least since version *.48

@mikewalsh I do not know :) but among all the puppys I have tried only vanilladpup comes with this problem on my PCs and laptops

dimkr

Post by dimkr »

darksun wrote: Sat May 18, 2024 8:13 pm

I cannot see that theme

Try to delete /root/.config/gtk-3.0/settings.ini

darksun wrote: Sun May 19, 2024 5:39 am

@mikewalsh I do not know :) but among all the puppys I have tried only vanilladpup comes with this problem on my PCs and laptops

It's probably because it's the only one that sets a GTK+ 3 theme. GNOME developers don't want distros and users to use themes (see https://stopthemingmy.app/) because sometimes they break applications, and some applications are only tested under stock GNOME (which uses the Adwaita theme and doesn't allow you to change it), creating problems outside of GNOME. The switch away from Adwaita's thin, semi-transparent overlay scrollbars is a big source of problems.

darksun

Post by darksun »

dimkr wrote: Sun May 19, 2024 7:23 am
darksun wrote: Sat May 18, 2024 8:13 pm

I cannot see that theme

Try to delete /root/.config/gtk-3.0/settings.ini

darksun wrote: Sun May 19, 2024 5:39 am

It's probably because it's the only one that sets a GTK+ 3 theme. GNOME developers don't want distros and users to use themes (see https://stopthemingmy.app/) because sometimes they break applications, and some applications are only tested under stock GNOME (which uses the Adwaita theme and doesn't allow you to change it), creating problems outside of GNOME. The switch away from Adwaita's thin, semi-transparent overlay scrollbars is a big source of problems.

sorry @dimkr I did not receive the notification for this answer.

deleting that settings.ini does not change what the options to choose the themes.

It would be useful to know if there are other users with my same issue.

@dimkr you got a PM.

d-pupp

Post by d-pupp »

It would be useful to know if there are other users with my same issue.

darksun I have been using Vanilladpup for some time now and I have noticed the same thing. It only really is a problem when trying to print an pdf as the printer selection box is very small and when I try to select my printer the scroll bar pops up covering the printer I am trying to select.

Return to “Vanilla Dpup”