Is there an uncompressed DVD Version of 32BIT Puppy Linux?

New to Puppy and have questions? Start here

Moderator: Forum moderators

CloisteredNeuron

Is there an uncompressed DVD Version of 32BIT Puppy Linux?

Post by CloisteredNeuron »

I got the 32-bit version working on a 2004 Dell today. With 4GB of RAM the system was quite responsive after the image was decompressed and transferred to memory from CD.

As the decompression took several minutes I'm wondering if there is an uncompressed DVD version of 32BIT Puppy?

Thank You.

Flash

Re: Is there an uncompressed DVD Version of 32BIT Puppy Linux?

Post by Flash »

I think what took so much time was reading the contents of the CD into the computer. As I understand it, decompression (actually I would call it reconstitution, since compression doesn't remove anything) is so quick it happens about as fast as the data can be read from a DVD. If you want to speed up the booting process, you'll have to do it from a fast flash drive or an internal SSD.
Come to think of it, a 2004 Dell computer probably only has USB1, which can't read a flash drive much faster than your DVD drive can read a DVD. Maybe a little faster.

Chaos coordinator :?
CloisteredNeuron

Thank you for your response :thumbup:

You might be right on the compression. You're definitely correct about USB1 on the 2004 Dell. The USB1 is probably not a lot faster than the optical drive but definitely quitter :D

I just got Puppy 32 installed in a VM on a newer notebook. The whole gpartd partitioning process was a bit confusing but it works. Hopefully if I follow the same gpartd process for a USB stick I'll can get it to work there as well.

williwaw

Post by williwaw »

CloisteredNeuron wrote: Wed May 15, 2024 5:05 am

I just got Puppy 32 installed in a VM on a newer notebook

have you considered a frugal install to the internal drive of either machine

viewtopic.php?t=5314

This all makes Puppy Linux more flexible to use than almost any other operating system. With its small size it can:

• run completely from a CD or DVD drive

run completely from a USB flash drive

run completely from its ISO on a USB flash drive (using special tools)

run completely from a SD Card (if the computer supports sdcard boot)

run completely from an external USB hard drive

run completely from an internal hard drive in its own partition.

run completely from an internal hard drive in the same partition as MS Windows or another Linux (called dual booting).

run completely within a Virtual Machine

Opi5b

Post by Opi5b »

that setup is probably slower than my eee netbook (Atom CPU). My old Athlon barton core 3200 clocks about the same as the eee. But the 250W power consumption is a BIG minus (eee about 10W).

CloisteredNeuron

Hey Opi,

After your comment I was wondering just how slow my 2004 system was. It has a cpubenchmark.net PassMark of 237, lol. The processor is an Intel Pentium 4 2.80GHz.

There are three AMD Athlon 3200 with PassMarks ranging from 261 to 326 so it seems your right :thumbup:

CloisteredNeuron

Thanks for the response williwaw.

The VM install is working lovely after installing Thunar.

The 2004 Dell has no storage as I need a system which physically cannot store data or connect to the Internet. I'm capturing images of documents containing sensitive PII data with an older digital camera with no networking and I'm using Puppy Linux to copy images from the camera SD to backup flash drives. As Puppy Linux startup on this ancient computer using a CD is taking so long, I'm going to try to get Puppy Linux working on a flash drive. As I can secure the OS flash drive with the backup flash drives, I'm OK with sensitive document temp files being stored on the OS flash drive. Even if the OS flash drive is not faster it will at least be quieter and if I get the OS installed on the flash drive, I will hopefully have access to Thunar as well :D

CloisteredNeuron

I did get Puppy Linux running on a flash drive and performance is much better than the CD :thumbup: While doing this I discovered Puppy had a built-in filemanger called MMview, so Thunar was not required. I also discovered the beauty of Puppy save files. They allow you to save different states of Puppy, kind of like a VirtualBox cloned VM, using "Pupsave Backup". By editing the grub config to include pfix=ram you can swap out these save files. Really COOL :thumbup2: Beyond the save files and MMview I further discovered I could even use my Brother laser printer and Epson scanner using Puppy Linux - WOW!!! Thanks to the rejuvenation powers of Puppy Linux I have an awesome system for managing sensitive documents completely offline :thumbup2:

Some info on pfix:

https://oldforum.puppylinux.com/viewtopic.php?t=36508

Return to “Beginners Help”