How to transfer files from PC to PC wirelessly ?

Issues and / or general discussion relating to Puppy

Moderator: Forum moderators

bigphil

How to transfer files from PC to PC wirelessly ?

Post by bigphil »

Hi all,
as the subject says does anybody know an idiots guide on how to do it?
I believe you have to use PureFTPd and gFTP but I can't figure out how to do it.
I also believe you have to add extras in the firewall setup.
The reason I want to do this is I have a 'new' PC and want to mimic the old one on the new one.
Both machines are running Fossapup 64 bit.

Regards
Phil.

rockedge
Site Admin

Re: How to transfer files from PC to PC wirelessly ?

Post by rockedge »

@bigphil

A simple example is one machine acts as FTP (pure-ftpd) server and the other the client (gftp)

Start in Fossapup64 machine A the pure-ftpd server. If there is no pure-ftpd installed it is available here. If it is present already, look in Menu->Network or Menu->Internet for a menu entry to start the pure-ftpd server. You can run the the pure-ftpd server on every machine connected to the local area network (your network) if it is more convenient.

In Fossapup64 machine B start the gftp client application. The menu entry is usually here Menu->Internet.

In gftp fill in the connection information for the Fossapup64 machine A, Host (a sub-net IP like 192.168.1.10 for example) user = root and then the root user password.

Screenshot(12).jpg
Screenshot(12).jpg (37.89 KiB) Viewed 873 times

Click the button next the Host form field to establish the connection. On the left panel is machine B and the right panel machine A

Screenshot(13).jpg
Screenshot(13).jpg (50.03 KiB) Viewed 872 times
bigphil

Post by bigphil »

Thanks for the idiots guide rockedge, I'll give it a go tomorrow.

rcrsn51

Post by rcrsn51 »

If you are transferring files between Puppies, all you need is gnetcat. Remove the fake .gz extension.

The only dependency is lzop which is already in some Puppies.

OscarTalks

Post by OscarTalks »

rcrsn51 wrote: Sat May 04, 2024 7:33 pm

If you are transferring files between Puppies, all you need is gnetcat.

Thank you for gnetcat. I have had it installed for some time and just upgraded from 1.3 to 1.7
It has always worked for me whenever I used it.

gychang

Post by gychang »

localsend is very good.
forum discussion here:
viewtopic.php?t=11372

video here:

======

Puppy Bytes, utube videos
https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCg-DUU ... u62_iqR-MA

======

mikeslr

Post by mikeslr »

I was under the impression that IP addresses were assigned dynamically each time a computer or device initially accesses a wireless network.

Besides --in my case-- running up-and-down two flights of stairs-- Is there any way or application by which you can find the IP addresses of computers and other devices currently active on a network? Other than assigning a static address?

And if the static address route is to be employed, exactly --step by step for idiots like me-- how does one do that?

The last question has relevance beyond the desire to transfer files within a network. I have a weak and fluctuating signal (thanks Verizon tor pushing 5G :evil: ) in my basement. Network wizard seems to be the most resilient, It offers the choice of dynamic or static. I would like to try static.

rcrsn51

Post by rcrsn51 »

mikeslr wrote: Sun May 05, 2024 2:22 pm

Is there any way or application by which you can find the IP addresses of computers and other devices currently active on a network?

PeasyPort. Scan for MAC addresses and it will also show the IP addresses. But if you are transferring files between machines, you still have to walk to the Receiver (unless you are using something like ssh, which is a different issue).

And if the static address route is to be employed, exactly --step by step for idiots like me-- how does one do that?

PeasyWiFi can do this in its Config but I doubt if it will fix the problem with your signal strength.

mikeslr

Post by mikeslr »

Thanks, rcrsn51.

I also doubt a static IP address would help. It was a fleeting thought I figured best asked before forgotten. On 2nd thought it might make matters worse: if IP addresses are set dynamically than after loosing a connection the new IP address may not be the same as the old.

P.S. Said my memory was flaky. See, viewtopic.php?p=40929&sid=9d3fcaadd2b81 ... fd2#p40929 in which I discussed peasywifi 3 years ago. Thanks again, rcrsn51, for all your contributions to the OSes supported by this Forum, and for your patience.

Last edited by mikeslr on Sun May 05, 2024 4:30 pm, edited 1 time in total.
rcrsn51

Post by rcrsn51 »

Have you considered getting a USB wifi adapter with a big external antenna?

mikeslr

Post by mikeslr »

rcrsn51 wrote: Sun May 05, 2024 3:53 pm

Have you considered getting a USB wifi adapter with a big external antenna?

Very good idea.

Before Verizon pushed 5G* I had a Wifi extender that worked very well with 2.4G. It picked up the signal, enhanced it and re-transmitted it under a different (it's own) name. The new router send both 5G and 2.4G signals under the same name. For example:

iwlist wlan0 scanning | egrep 'Cell |Quality|ESSID'
Cell 01 - Address: 3C:BD:C5:AE:F7:AB
Quality=56/70 Signal level=-54 dBm
ESSID:"Verizon_PR3BMH"
Cell 02 - Address: 78:67:0E:DF:10:E5
Quality=50/70 Signal level=-60 dBm
ESSID:"Verizon_PR3BMH"
#
When Puppy looses what was the stronger wifi signal and will find and connect to the weaker one. When Quality is anything below 50/70 reception of data is slow to impossible.

I still have the extender. I think it can be used with both 5 and 2.4G transmissions. But it was configured for the transmissions of the old router. I'll try to re-configure it before purchasing a USB wifi adapter with a big external antenna.

-=-=-=-=-
* Began having poor reception about the time Verizon began advertising 'all the great things' about 5G. I suspect that they cut-back the amount of power they used to transmit 2.4G. If you complain you're told to opt for 5G -- for only another $15 per month :).

I know my eye-sight isn't what it used to be. Can anyone actually tell the difference between a display transmitted over a 5G signal and a 2.4G signal? The power consumption required to transmit 5G signals already contributes to Global Warming, https://www.linkedin.com/pulse/environm ... umeenacare. There may be a legitimate need for it by some businesses. But why shouldn't there be an excise tax on energy consumption used in 5G transmission consumption so that those who need it pay for it rather than increasing the cost to the rest of us (via its purchase price) and the taxes we will all pay for programs to mitigate its effect on Global Warming?

williwaw

Post by williwaw »

mikeslr wrote: Sun May 05, 2024 4:52 pm

-=-=-=-=-
* Began having poor reception about the time Verizon began advertising 'all the great things' about 5G.

are you getting internet service off the cell tower?
"5g" cell service is just a naming convention, but it doesnt actually mean your connection will always be operating at 5 gigahertz

the frequencies of 5 and 2.4 on your wireless router network are actual. 2.4 might work better than 5 thru walls and floors.

wizard

Post by wizard »

@mikeslr

Have a upstairs/downstairs, one end of house to the other end. Here is how I handle it:

Signal Strength:
-attach a separate TP-Link AC1750 wifi router (Ebay) to the ISP's router
-configure to use 2.4ghz only
-use a TP-LINK AC750 750Mbps WiFi Range Extender (Ebay) to boost signal

IP address:
-assign static IP's to the computers using the OS network tool (Puppy network wizard)
Note: Alternately, the AC1750 router has the ability to assign the same address to a device every time.

File Transfer Method:
-file sharing (Samba Simple Management + YASSM)

Works well for me. Let me know if I can assist.

wizard

Big pile of OLD computers

mikeslr

Post by mikeslr »

Thanks, wizard. Will add that to 'things to try.'

Trying to remember why I haven't tried to reconfigure my extender. I think its software is 'Windows only'. When in doubt, read the manual. At this point that means use my Windows 7 in a desktop and setting up that desktop near the router; or installing it into my wife's Window 11 laptop, and my wife doesn't want me to mess with that unless and until she has a problem. :roll:

I rarely have a reason to transfer files. Samba Simple Management + YASSM means I have to learn something new. Other avenues still require expenditure of more time and effort than lugging a USB-Key from one place to another. So I've bookmarked this thread for when I get the urge to actually setup a permanent solution.

rcrsn51

Post by rcrsn51 »

Just to be clear, "5G" refers to the fifth generation of wireless cellular technology. This is the signal between a transmission tower and a cellphone. Don't confuse this with the 5GHz frequency band used by the wifi computer equipment inside your house.

Clarity

Post by Clarity »

Hi @mikeslr

Actually SSM on a PC that has stuff to share and YASSM or using mount command(s) at the client(s) to access is VERY, Very, very easy in the way forum disttos have made it over the years. It basically hasn't changed...ever. Start the SSM PC once for the life of the PC and access its stuff whenever needed. If extremely fast and simple. Further, you will install NOTHING!!! The distro developers have included it all for us.

I hope this is received as a help to get you going.

SAMBA - is the built-in facility that you tell what to share with your LAN devices (PCs, TVs, Multimedia devices, etc.)
ON the PC that you have stuff to share, assuming it is a forum distro, go to Menu > Network > Samba Simple Management. It should be very intuitive as this is where you tell paths to any folders you share. Ask here, if there is confusion, as there are more people that you can count on this forum who have used this for years to help you in its understanding. POST HERE for any questions on this. When you are completed, insure the BIG RED "SAMBA OFF" now shows GREEN "SAMBA ON". ... "You are done at this PC!" Your folder(s) will be shared.

Access what you share from a LAN device.
YASSM is a forum distro utility that intends to show you any SAMBA/Windows/MACs on your LAN that is sharing stuff for the client use. Like what you did on the PC with SAMBA, you will go to Menu > Network > YASSM to open it. It will list what it finds for you. Click the item(s) that you have shared and in ROX or the distro's file manager you can see the contents of what is shared.

Summary
Again, we can help, if you have problems using these built-in services.

Enjoy!

mikewalsh

Post by mikewalsh »

@mikeslr / @wizard :-

TBH, guys, if that was me I wouldn't bother with all that farting-around with wireless. I'd just run an Ethernet cable down into the basement & call it a done job! Way more stable, too... :)

Probably the easiest way of doing this - I can never remember what they're called - is to use a pair of those adapters with Ethernet ports that let you use the existing mains "power" ring circuit as a way to run Ethernet anywhere you want it......anywhere there's a wall socket, you can have Ethernet.

You plug one of the two adapters into the wall socket closest to your main router, and run a short RJ45 from the router down to it. The other one, you plug into any other wall socket in the property (wherever you need a connection). Then run another RJ45 from the second adapter & plug t'other end into your computer. Job done.

Saves having to install new cables (for the lazy amongst us)! :D You're just making use of the wiring that already exists from when the property was built.....

(I don't have any idea of the kind of data rates / speeds available by this method. Never used them myself, but a lot of folks seem to recommend them.)

(*shrug...*)

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

[ ......later:- ]

EDIT:- 'Kay, here's a link. These are the gadgets I'm talking about ('Powerline adapters', they're called):-

https://www.amazon.co.uk/ethernet-plug- ... all+socket

Look for whatever's in your price range; there's everything there from "budget" through to "very expensive" (but they all do basically the same thing). :D

Mike. :thumbup:

Puppy "stuff" ~ MORE Puppy "stuff" ~ ....and MORE! :D

wizard

Post by wizard »

@mikewalsh

Forgot about those things, good recall.

Thanks
wizard

Big pile of OLD computers

rockedge
Site Admin

Post by rockedge »

I have one of those called Asoka 9650 PlugLink. Two for around $20. Works well and convenient.

One thing to consider is how the house is wired and if all the power outlets are on one loop or like in my house the breaker box breaks the loop into smaller ones. I use X10 devices on the same principle.

s-l960.jpg
s-l960.jpg (7.33 KiB) Viewed 437 times
mikewalsh

Post by mikewalsh »

@rockedge :-

In our case it's just a small semi-detached bungalow, Erik; 5 rooms plus the hallway. The only 'divisions' the breaker box performs are for lighting, power, cooker circuit, and two other separate ones.....one for the garage supply (which then has its own wee breaker box), and one for the electric shower. And that's pretty much IT.

Mike. ;)

Puppy "stuff" ~ MORE Puppy "stuff" ~ ....and MORE! :D

rcrsn51

Post by rcrsn51 »

@mikeslr

1. Does a Windows computer have the same problem as Puppy with dropouts/reconnections?

2. Your Verizon router may have a setting that makes it display the 2.4Ghz and 5Ghz bands with different names. That might help things.

fr-ke

Post by fr-ke »

@mikeslr

If the SSID and password have changed on the new ISP router, then I suspect that the range extender cannot forward a signal in this state because it probably cannot connect to the router.

If your new router allows this, try setting the old SSID and password in the 2.4G band. The range extender should then work as usual.

I would also temporarily shut down the WiFi in the 5G band and observe the effect.

The fast 5G connection to the CellTower would still be available for the 2.4G WiFi.

Jasper

Post by Jasper »

@bigphil

As both your devices are running Fossapup64.

You could use the in-built Python HTTP Server.

The reason I want to do this is I have a 'new' PC and want to mimic the old one on the new one.

Do you want to have the same customisations?

Or simply to transfer files backwards/forwards?

Clarity

Post by Clarity »

If all LAN devices, wire and wireless, are on the same subnet, files exchanges are easy. SAMBA serving folder(s) has been doing this thruout this CENTURY. Subnett can be managed via your router so that your devices, wired/wireless units, are on the same subnet; thus they see each other and is all that is needed.

No software needed; merely turn it on and everyone can exchange/use via any forum distro's built-in software. There's no confusion when the units see each other.

Hope this helps

Return to “Users”