S15Pup - Discussion

Moderators: peebee, Forum moderators

Wiz57

Re: S15Pup - Discussion

Post by Wiz57 »

Well, my testing did not go anywhere near as planned. I tried several times to boot the iso in my problem above,
each time resulted in the main puppy sfs file not being found??? After trying different boot parameters by booting
into my other 240413 iso, then rebooting, I don't know what happened, but now none of my frugals boot by the usual grub4dos menu.lst, give error when trying to load grub4dos that "grldr not found"...have tried reinstalling g4d, via
several methods, nothing is working. The last error I remember from one of the S15Pups was something about stray files mounted??? Not sure, may have to try a USB thumb drive and see if I can locate some sort of lock file on the internal HDD
in an obscure place. For now, the Acer is only booting Windows XP SP3 from internal HDD.
Wiz :cry:

Signature available upon request

thinkpadfreak

Post by thinkpadfreak »

Hello.
I gave a try to the latest iso (s15pup32).

I was surprised that the touchpad did not work. Since an edge of the touchpad of my machine serves as click buttons, I could not even "click."
Later I found that the touchpad was disabled by default with a "new" type of mouse property.

This will confuse some notebook PC users. I wonder why such a change has been made.

Edit:
To be more precise
mouse property -> pointer property

Wiz57

Post by Wiz57 »

Just a follow-up in regards to my old Acer Aspire One AOA150...I think it is getting close to end of the road! Now it not only lost the grldr to boot my Puppys,
but it seems to have lost the MBR, and the partitions (had 2 on the HDD, 1 hidden recovery, the regular in C:), so it appears the old HDD is starting to fail.
I don't use it much, only 1 gig RAM and the Intel Atom CPU, so it was already a tad slow...but it was handy for playing old Windows games and tweaking my
Puppys! I may try a full wipe and reformat of the HDD, but even booting with a USB thumb drive is sometimes not working. I've noticed the fan not spinning
up like it used to when powering it up. So, I may take her apart and inspect that...could be something simple like dust buildup, or it could be near fatal,
and it really isn't worth the cost to replace the fan. Just depends on how industrious I feel. For now, I'm using my Dell Latitude 3190 laptop, Win 11, and
even though it only has 4 gig RAM, it performs quite well for my needs...which are not computing intensive at the present time, LOL. I can't complain about
the Acer though, it has ran for 17 yrs now!

Wiz57

Post by Wiz57 »

THERE'S STILL LIFE IN THIS OLD ACER ASPIRE ONE AOA150! I'm rebuilding contents of the HDD from scratch, had a few things on other media, but it is back up and running. Cleaned the fan a bit, best I could without a total teardown (didn't have time on Mother's Day), but I'm back online with it now, running ScPup32 20.06 with the kernel and zdrv swap I'd done one time! Woo Hoo! Even got Windows XP SP3 running again (WinXP Pro this time, didn't want "Home" edition for a change).
Wiz

ozsouth

Post by ozsouth »

@Wiz57 - do you have the devx for 240413 or 240420?

Wiz57

Post by Wiz57 »

ozsouth wrote: Fri May 17, 2024 2:57 pm

@Wiz57 - do you have the devx for 240413 or 240420?

I don't think so, best I can tell it is the devx for the latest release. If needed, I may just
rename the devx to match, and see if that works. Not sure what the changes are...I'm
also running on an older kernel and zdrv at the moment, using kernel 4.14.173 from an
older ArchPup32, lol...when this old Acer went haywire I lost all the downloaded stuff I'd
saved over the years, but at least I was able to get it back to usability.
Which reminds me...the discussion about DistroWatch needing new Puppy, and the various
postings about the strengths and positives of Puppy all neglect its biggest selling point...
THE SMALLER DOWNLOAD SIZE FOR A FULL OPERATING SYSTEM! I'm on a metered internet
connection, and I don't have the data cap to allow downloading multiple 1-2 gigabyte installation
media typical of other distributions...for less than 1 gig download, I have 4 Pups at my disposal!
Now that's what I call a strength...I know, most probably have "unlimited highspeed internet"
but for those who don't, Puppy is a tremendous asset to have available!
Wiz

ozsouth

S15Pup64 - April DEVX?

Post by ozsouth »

Thanks anyway Wiz57. Does ANYONE have the devx for s15pup64 240413 or 240420?

Return to “SPups”