Is there an easy way to transfer files from PC A to PC B on the same network?

New to Puppy and have questions? Start here

Moderator: Forum moderators

Chelsea80

Is there an easy way to transfer files from PC A to PC B on the same network?

Post by Chelsea80 »

Hello All

Has anyone managed to directly transfer files from Laptop A (Puppy only, on HDD) to Laptop B (Win XP only, on HDD).

If yes, how was it done?

If yes, what is the easiest, most simple way?

Can it be done without going through the internet?

The only way I have managed thus far is via a USB stick. This way achieves the required end result but what a bind.

I am not technical but am able to follow a flow chart type description.

Help would be appreciated. Thanks.

Chelsea80

BionicPup32+28 19.03 - Linux 4.9.163 - lxpup - 32-pae [i686] - (UPup Bionic Beaver)
Frugal Install - Internal HDD - Gateway MX8716b - HDD 120GB - RAM 2GB

Friendly-Bionic32 v1.1
USB Stick 2GB

williwaw

Re: Is there an easy way to transfer files from PC A to PC B on the same network?

Post by williwaw »

back up both machines to an external HD and access files as you need them?

what is the USB "bind"?

mikewalsh

Re: Is there an easy way to transfer files from PC A to PC B on the same network?

Post by mikewalsh »

@Chelsea80 :-

I'm assuming these are both on your LAN - local area network - yes? (Not the internet, but your "home" network). Can they both connect to your router?

If so, I'd recommend one of two things:-

• - SimpleHTTPServer

• - Dukto

For SimpleHTTPServer, you set it running on one machine, then access it through a browser on the other. (This is NOT using the internet.....all browsers have the ability to act like a file manager, and to 'browse' the 'local' file system. This is how SimpleHTTPServer works. It uses its connection ability to connect to another machine on the same, local network).

Dukto is a small, self-contained file-transfer app. You need to have it running on both machines, then you can drag'n'drop files onto the GUI on one machine, and a few moments later they'll appear on the other machine. There's a Puppy-portable for your Puppy, and an .exe installer for your Win XP machine. The fact it's had no maintenance for nearly 9 years is irrelevant; because it's on the LOCAL network, and doesn't access the internet, it doesn't matter.....there's no need for security fixes, patches and malware mitigation, because it's never going to get "infected"!

Both of the above DO assume the two machines can connect to a home router.

If you can't access the Local Area Network with both machines, you're going to be stuck with the "sneakernet"... :roll:

Mike. ;)

Puppy "stuff" ~ MORE Puppy "stuff" ~ ....and MORE! :D

Jasper

Post by Jasper »

@Chelsea80

Do you have a network switch?

Crossover network cable?

Network Cable?

Chelsea80

Post by Chelsea80 »

Thank you @williwaw, @mikewalsh and @Jasper

Ok here we go.

Both laptops are stand alone, i.e. no LAN, so this would have to be set up (I don't know how, will have to research).

@williwaw If I

back up both machines to an external HD and access files as you need them?

then I am basically in the same position as using a USB stick as it means connecting/disconnecting the external HD each time I need to access 'a backup' each time. I want to transfer files directly. Hence the

what is the USB "bind"?

@mikewalsh Dukto seems like a good idea. Like in the 'good old days' of Laplink. Would a USB lead connecting both laptops work? This would then negate the setting up of a LAN, or am I being over optimistic. My logic says if both laptops can 'see' the USB stick then could both laptops 'see' each other through the USB connection lead.
@Jasper That's a no to your three questions I'm sorry to say.

Again thanks for your replies.

Chelsea80

BionicPup32+28 19.03 - Linux 4.9.163 - lxpup - 32-pae [i686] - (UPup Bionic Beaver)

Friendly-Bionic32 v1.1
USB Stick 2GB

mikewalsh

Post by mikewalsh »

Um; o-kayyy..... NO network. Right.....

Question:- How are you getting online, then? How do you access the forum??? You must have an internet connection of some sort, surely.....or are you doing this on a cellphone/mobile phone?

Almost ALL online solutions assume you at least have an internet connection with a router. They cannot believe that in this day & age, there are people who aren't online. However, if you don't, you only have a couple of options. Either share via Bluetooth - which is a PITA to set up in Linux - OR, use what's called a network crossover cable. This is basically an Ethernet cable, wired up in such a way that you essentially join two computers directly.

There ARE special USB cables available that can connect two machines directly, but of course they only support Windows.

IF both your machines have an Ethernet port, then I think @Jasper 's suggestion of a "crossover cable" would be your best, cheapest and easiest solution.....these things are not expensive,though I'm exactly certain how they work. From what I understand, it should work as long as you manually set each machine to have what is called a 'static' IP address. Others may be able to chip-in here with technical details; I don't have any experience of them.

[Later:-]

Okay. Have a read of this:-

https://unix.stackexchange.com/question ... ble#251066

It describes the basic principle, which should be the same for Puppy and XP.

Mike. Image

Chelsea80

Post by Chelsea80 »

@mikewalsh

Good, some progression.

Yes my Puppy laptop is connected to the internet by Ethernet cable. Writing from it now.

My Win XP is not connected to the internet, and I wouldn't. That why I didn't want to go the way of any internet answer.

Thought about Bluetooth for 1 second, that's a no then.

So it looks like, as you second @Jasper idea of a crossover cable (thanks @jasper), I will research that way of getting the job done.

Back to Dukto. Will follow up your link. Not looked into that yet. I have to find out if having two versions of Dukto (Puppy and Win XP) will be happy working together.

Both of the above DO assume the two machines can connect to a home router.

I have 3 free Ethernet connection points on the router and the Win XP laptop can connect via Ethernet cable.

Am I right in thinking that when connected, the router becomes the 'bridge' between the two laptops? Also should I 'switch off' the internet at both laptop ends when using this method of file transfer?

So my logic of directly connecting together both laptops via a cable is a no no.

This is going to take a little while for me to get this together, as in research and sourcing.

In the meantime, my thanks to all for your help.

@mikewalsh As a moderator will you please change the post title as I think it might be a bit misleading to some, thanks.

Chelsea80

Friendly-Bionic32 v1.1
USB Stick 2GB

Trapster

Post by Trapster »

It sounds like you want a lan but not internet on the xp machine.

If so, this is a method for Win10 but would probably work on xp.
it allows lan connections but shuts off internet access.

https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/ins ... 50e3847551

mikewalsh

Post by mikewalsh »

Thanks for the clarification!

If you've got a router, you're laughing. Just connect the XP machine to the router with another standard Ethernet cable - NOT a "crossover"; you won't need one of those - and bingo! there's your LAN. That will be your "local area network".

That being the case, once you have both machines connected to the router via Ethernet, Duktp should work fine. It'll just be a case of setting XP up to "see" the connection as a purely local one, NOT internet.

You won't need to disconnect the Puppy box from the internet, because Dukto itself can only work with 'local' connections. That's what it was coded to do; it can't connect to the 'net, because it doesn't know HOW to.... As for the XP box, from what I remember, once it detects an Ethernet cable is plugged-in, it will keep asking you to set up an internet connection. You'll have to make sure you ignore this, or otherwise tell it "NO" in a loud voice!

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Seriously, it's so long since I used XP I've completely forgotten how you do this. But essentially:-

• The Puppy box won't need anything doing to it

• The XP box, make sure it's not connected to the 'net, even though it's 'plugged-in'. There IS a way to do this, I know there is...

Once that's done, Dukto will work fine.

Get your connections sorted out first, then I'll link you to the appropriate Dukto packages. OK?

EDIT:- This may help. It's for Win 10, but things haven't changed that much...

https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/ins ... 50e3847551

Mike. ;)

wizard

Post by wizard »

@Chelsea80

Good old "Laplink" used it a lot, still have a set of cables.

Now to your question, I'd suggest one of two solutions:

1. Ethernet crossover cable. Plugs into each computers rj45 Ethernet jack. When setup you can just use samba file sharing or FTP to transfer files (I prefer samba).
--Plus=cheap, only requires one cable.
--Minus=requires manual network IP configuration

2. Router or wifi/cable/DSL box + two standard Ethernet cables OR if both laptops have wifi you don't need cables to connect to a wifi enabled device. Same a CHOICE #1, When setup you can just use samba file sharing or FTP to transfer files (I prefer samba).
--Plus=no manual setup of IP
--Minus=need a router

Not sure where you live, but old cable/DSL wifi routers are usually very easy to find in trift stores, tag sales, Ebay, etc if you don't alrerady have one. Any will do as long as it has wifi and AND four rj45 ethernet ports (you only need two of them).

No internet connection is required

I've setup and used both 1&2 so sure they will do what you want

EDIT: Looks like you already have a router, so in this case all you need is to connect the XP laptop with an ordinary Ethernet cable, then setup samba or FTP.

Also should I 'switch off' the internet at both laptop ends when using this method of file transfer?

Not necessary.

Wizard

Big pile of OLD computers

stevie pup

Post by stevie pup »

I have all my files (documents, photos, music, videos and a few other bits) all backed up on a portable hard drive. Then I just plug the drive into whichever PC I want to put the files on. Simple, no messing around with LAN's, routers, ethernet, or anything else. I assume we all have the sense to keep backups of our files?

Sorry if I'm stating the obvious here, or if I'm somehow missing the point. :?

wizard

Post by wizard »

@stevie pup

I assume we all have the sense to keep backups of our files?

:lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

wizard

williwaw

Post by williwaw »

stevie pup wrote: Thu May 02, 2024 2:42 pm

Sorry if I'm stating the obvious here, or if I'm somehow missing the point. :?

I guess you are not alone. :? i still dont understand what a bind is?
Plugging something into a machine, and running software?
just plugging something into a machine?
what does directly mean?
maybe its the speed of transfers?
is it a one time transfer or a repetive transfer?

Maybe chelsea can describe a what the desired imagined solution would look like rather than just say it must be easy

mikewalsh

Post by mikewalsh »

@williwaw :-

He means it's a PITA to keep trotting back & forth between machines with a thumb drive...

Mike. :o ;)

Chelsea80

Post by Chelsea80 »

@williwaw

Thank you @mikewalsh for being so succinct.

Sorry @williwaw, using what is known as a colloquialism, perhaps this helps:

Being in a difficult or restrictive situation; being hampered, constrained, or prevented from free movement or action.

To be "in a bind" means to be in a problematic or challenging situation that restricts your options or freedom of action.

As for

Maybe chelsea can describe a what the desired imagined solution would look like rather than just say it must be easy

as I am very limited in knowledge of techy things I would like to resolve this as simply and as easily as possible for my understanding.

Chelsea80

Friendly-Bionic32 v1.1
USB Stick 2GB

korkythecat3

Post by korkythecat3 »

There is this tool, which i have found works well with puppy.

https://launchpadlibrarian.net/19162998 ... _amd64.deb

Works ok with most browsers.

It doesn't create a menu entry so go to /usr/share/applications/meiga

Chelsea80

Post by Chelsea80 »

@korkythecat3

:welcome:

Thank you for your offer of https://launchpadlibrarian.net/19162998 ... _amd64.deb

If I read the link correctly this is 64bit and as you can see from my signature my OS is 32bit.

Chelsea80

Friendly-Bionic32 v1.1
USB Stick 2GB

williwaw

Post by williwaw »

guess you are looking for something wireless instead of wired or plugging in and moving storage?
similar to this concept?
https://mobiletrans.wondershare.com/pho ... phone.html

Pikaxhu

Post by Pikaxhu »

Hi Chelsea

Let me suggest a very simple setup, using preinstaled python in Bionic32

python3 -m http.server 8080 (if you using version 3.x)

will start a full web server on your puppy pc... Then you just point the xp browser to

Bionic lappy IP, i.e.:

http://192.168.1.xx:8080

and xp will be able to download or upload files, from or to Bionic lappy.

Please read:

https://stackabuse.com/bytes/the-python ... ttpserver/

No internet, nor samba, ftp, or extra programs....

Hope this helps.

Pika

Last edited by Pikaxhu on Fri May 10, 2024 2:51 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Clarity

Post by Clarity »

@Chelsea80, YES, there is. Further you DONT have to install anything, as EVERYTHING is built into every modern forum distro!

@wizard provides step #1 which is simple.

The facility to transfer files in via Menu>Network>Simple Samba Management started on one of the PC and you can use the terminal's mount command to "mount" its pathway on the other PC or use that PC's built in client SAMBA services.

No installation of any software is needed. The forum developers solved this for the community years ago.

BTW: Do you have PC Wifi connect to your ISP's modem for internet services? That too will work for these built-in forum distro features.

sonny

Post by sonny »

@Chelsea80

croc : Easily and securely send things from one computer to another

Code: Select all

curl https://getcroc.schollz.com | bash

https://github.com/schollz/croc

Clarity

Post by Clarity »

Hello @Chelsea80
Reading this thread, again, I ask so that I am clear of your home PCs. It appears you have everything to make this work and you do NOT need to install anything or buy anything. The components for easy file transfers are built-in.

Assumptions from the information you've provided

• You mention that you have a internet connection via a LAN cable from your BionicPUP32 to your ISP's router-modem. Assuming this is true, you have all the necessary components built-in for one-half of your needs for file transfer.

• Your router, has 4 ethernet ports for cabling one device to another, built-in. Assuming this is true, you have the ability for additional LAN units to see each other.

• You have a Windows XP PC. Assuming this is true, you have the other half for file transfer as ALL Windows since Win95 have the necessary components built-in for your needs for file transfer.

Questions

• Does your XP PC have a ethernet port?

• OR does your XP PC have a Wifi? If so does your ISP router have Wifi too?

If the answer to either of these are yes, we can help you complete your journey.

Let us know.

Chelsea80

Post by Chelsea80 »

Hello All

First let me reflect on what must be the biggest ‘Help Desk’ I have ever come across.

The amount of possible solutions that have been given is outstanding.

My thanks to all who have contributed.

My ability of being able to understand some of the different methods is likened to a 6 year old being taught algebra.

I make no bones about it. My level of technical knowledge is minuscule.

The solution that stood out most to me was the Crossover Network Cable and associated software.

This seems to me to be the path of least resistance. I have been looking into this.

Although @Clarity is suggesting an even easier way.

@Clarity

On the understanding that I do NOT want the Win XP laptop to communicate with the internet in any way.

This is purely for security reasons.

Assumptions from the information you've provided

You mention that you have a internet connection via a LAN cable from your BionicPUP32 to your ISP's router-modem. Assuming this is true, you have all the necessary components built-in for one-half of your needs for file transfer.

NO. At present I run the Puppy laptop through an Ethernet cable to the router for internet access.

Your router, has 4 ethernet ports for cabling one device to another, built-in. Assuming this is true, you have the ability for additional LAN units to see each other.

YES. Confirmed, 4 Ethernet ports

You have a Windows XP PC. Assuming this is true, you have the other half for file transfer as ALL Windows since Win95 have the necessary components built-in for your needs for file transfer.

YES. Confirmed

Does your XP PC have a ethernet port?

Yes, the Win XP laptop does have an Ethernet port.

OR does your XP PC have a Wifi?

Yes, the Win XP does have Wifi facility but was ‘switched off’ before being given to me. Again for security reasons. I have no knowledge of how to switch it back on.

If so does your ISP router have Wifi too?

Yes, the router does have Wifi which can be switched off/on. At present it is off. I know how to switch it on.

So that’s about it, hope my answers are of some help to you.

Thanks.

Chelsea80

Friendly-Bionic32 v1.1
USB Stick 2GB

Clarity

Post by Clarity »

Hello @Chelsea80
Thanks for that info.

We will not be opening a Internet browser to make your XP PC unsafe via that vehicle. So for what you will do, that pathway cannot be exploited.

Now, can you run an ethernet wire to your router from the XP PC? If so, this make everything too simple for you.

Do you know how to send a Private Message (PM) on the forum? Reason: because of your security concern, I want to minimize exposure as you set up the use of your BionicPUP for your home needs. If so, on Bionic, open a terminal and send me the results of the following command: "ip address" (without the quotes, of course) in a PM.

Lastly on Bionic, click its Menu>Network>Simple Samba Management. Take a screenshot and post the picture here on this thread, so we can explain what it does for you.

AGAIN I WANT YOU TO KNOW, there is no need to install anything and this solution will work for you if you want to use other forum distros in your future. They ALL have this and they ALL work the same for file/folder transferring.

It is easy, it is safe,it is secure, it is fast and MOST EVERYONE on the forum is aware of this; thus it is not some hidden stuff. I am not the only one who can/will help with your need.

Clarity

Post by Clarity »

I will have limited access to the forum over this weekend, but, others here are able to help when I cannot access the forum.

I am sure there are other threads detailing SAMBA use going back a decade or more. But, last night, I threw together some simple example notes for setup of BionicPUP PC readied for the Bionic step: Found here

Enjoy

Chelsea80

Post by Chelsea80 »

@Clarity

I have sent a PM - hope I did it right.

Now, can you run an ethernet wire to your router from the XP PC?

Yes I can, I have a spare one.

Here is the screen shot of Samba you asked for.

SAMBA.jpg
SAMBA.jpg (59.22 KiB) Viewed 420 times

Thanks.

Chelsea80

Friendly-Bionic32 v1.1
USB Stick 2GB

Clarity

Post by Clarity »

Hello @Chelsea80
You've found the built-in facility. Great! YOU choose what to share via this facility. Using your picture from above, important info you control:

SAMBA.jpg
SAMBA.jpg (43.41 KiB) Viewed 401 times

One of the best utilities on this forum as it is really simple and easy to understand. Here's hoping you found it so. Ask any questions, should you need.

You indicated that you have an ethernet cable. OK, plug the ethernet cable into your PC and your router. Watch as a light will go on at the router for the port AND on your PC's adapter indicating a physical connection.

Edit: Your pic you sent via PM shows 'enp4s8" has an IP address. Any idea how that happened?

Curious

wizard

Post by wizard »

@Clarity

Edit: Your pic you sent via PM shows 'enp4s8" has an IP address. Any idea how that happened?

It's an idiosyncrasy of Bionic32 and is "normal" for the ethernet connection

wizard

Clarity

Post by Clarity »

@wizard Thanks. I am aware of the naming of the adapter, but in his PM he is showing an assigned IP address. My question is whether he did a manual assignment of it OR that it is auto-assigned by the router. Understanding this, I can guide further for completing his work on this PC of his and files can, then, be accessed/transferred by any device on his LAN.

BTW: I have 15 OLD PC. I have not used a 32bit OS on any of these, ever. I haven't had a need to use one in the testing, performance and capacity, I have done over the past 2 decades; I dont have a benefit. In looking over my past test reports, I dont think I have every downloaded and booted BionicPUP64. (But, my excuse is that I am old with bad memory cards (smile)) :geek:

Thanks for explaining that Bionic uses that adapter designation as does other Linux distros.

Chelsea80

Post by Chelsea80 »

@Clarity

My question is whether he did a manual assignment of it OR that it is auto-assigned by the router.

Not me guv.

I haven't done anything - yet.

Seems I won't proceed until I get the all clear.

When it is finally connected do I get some sort of response from the Win XP, say some sort of desktop message?

Thanks

Chelsea80

Friendly-Bionic32 v1.1
USB Stick 2GB

Return to “Beginners Help”