Portable build of WINE 9.3 "staging" - AppImage-based...

Moderator: Forum moderators

mikewalsh

Portable build of WINE 9.3 "staging" - AppImage-based...

Post by mikewalsh »

Evening, gang. Now then:-

Some of you are already familiar with the AppImage-based 'portable' WINE packages I've produced. Not as fancy as Shinobar's, but a lot easier to update.

viewtopic.php?p=68191#p68191

This was all of 18 months ago. At the time, 4.0.4 and 5.11 weren't SO far "out-of-date". But WINE development doesn't stand still; in fact the speed of development has been charging full steam ahead at almost breakneck pace this last year or two. We're now into the 9-series WINE builds.

I wanted to see if I couldn't update the 'portable' AppImage-based packages. Ferion11 hasn't produced anything since 5.11, but there's quite a number of folks producing AppImage builds of WINE, in all kinds of 'flavours'. I did some hunting around, and after sorting the wheat from the chaff settled on this Github page as providing an AppImage closest in concept to Ferion11's builds, AND capable of being used in much the same manner.

However, these aren't quite as simple as just downloading/dropping into what t'other Mike calls the "Framework". In addition to the standard 32-bit stuff, these also contain the entire range of SysWOW64 components......along with not only Linux libs for interfacing with your system, but also Unix libs as well! Consequently, I've had to re-jig things somewhat, and the 'LINK' scripts have also needed some editing, too.

==========================

Anyways; here is a 'portable', AppImage-based build of WINE 9.3. It all works very nicely.....the only 'fly in the ointment' being that this requires minimum glibc 2.30 to run in Puppy. In effect, this means PhilB's original Fossapup64 9.5 is the oldest Pup they'll run under.....or anything newer. This might solve your Voidpup64 "issues", Mike! Worth a try, I would think...

Me being me, I now have this functioning like a dream with Xenialpup64! I performed a complete re-install of this just 3 or 4 weeks ago; my 5+ yr-old previous install was getting "iffy", and had developed several irritating 'quirks', along with a couple of issues that were just sucking the fun out of using it. I rebuilt Xenial64 using Fossa64's kernel, zdrv & fdrv, along with re-building the base Xenial SFS to use glibc 2.28 from josejp2424's original Busterpup64. It was simple enough matter to re-build the base SFS again, but this time with Fossa64's glibc 2.31.....and WINE-portable64 9.3 runs quite happily.

I will stress ONE point quite strongly. It's NOT a good idea to try and use an existing "prefix" originally stocked with 32-bit apps. At almost every attempt to run something, if there's a 64-bit build available for the app in question, WINE now "recommends" you obtain the 64-bit version, and promptly quits on you. Where older items were only ever produced as a 32-bit .exe, and are no longer under active development, it WILL let you run them.....though, quite illogically, they sometimes get installed to 'Program Files' (where 64-bit apps should go), and sometimes to 'Program Files (x86)' - which is where you would expect 32-bit items to go. There's no rhyme or reason for this, seemingly.

Top and bottom of the matter, you'll basically need to re-install most stuff using 64-bit versions. Where 32-bit apps WILL run, you'll notice that operation takes quite a bit longer; all 32-bit stuff runs somewhat slower. The delays can be quite frustrating on older hardware; the "big rig" Pavilion shrugs them off, not even noticing them.....but older equipment, like the D630 Latitude WILL "struggle" quite a bit. I tried 9.3 on the Lat earlier this evening, gave up on it, and reverted back to ferion11's 5.11 as being the "sweet spot" for hardware of this vintage. There's no getting away from it; tech progresses - quite rapidly! - and eventually hardware/software/OSs DO get 'left behind' by the relentless pace of development. At some point, you WILL have to say "Enough's enough. No more..."

There's no way to avoid it. Sooner or later, even the fanciest, most high-tech equipment will eventually turn into a door-stop.

For anybody who may be interested, you can find WINE-portable64 9.3 over at MediaFire:-

https://www.mediafire.com/folder/13557b ... portable64

• Download

• Unzip

• Move it outside the 'save' - either /mnt/home or a different drive/partition

• Click to enter

• Use the 'Link' script to link it into your system. Winecfg should run automatically when you do, creating 2 sym-links in /root; /root/.wine-staging-appimage, and /root/.wine. These both point back to 'wine-staging-appimage' within the portable, this being the 'prefix' name that mmtrt's builds expect to find

No MenuAdd/Remove scripts here, because they're not needed. During the 'Link' procedure, a few 'standard' Windows/WINE items will be added to your main Menu.......courtesy of @mikeslr . However, the main disadvantage of this way of building a 'portable' WINE is you haven't got all the fancy stuff shinobar employed, to find every app's .exe file and present them all in a list for you. In many cases, dragging the .exe onto the desktop will work as a launcher. If you want Menu entries, we can help with those. They're extremely simple to create.

Enjoy.

Mike. Image Image

Puppy "stuff" ~ MORE Puppy "stuff" ~ ....and MORE! :D

charlie6

Re: Portable build of WINE 9.3 "staging" - AppImage-based...

Post by charlie6 »

Hi Mike,
many thanks for this new wine 9.3 Appimage which I'm giving a try at now as I have difficulties in running wine-portable-3.3_v2.1 on FossaPup64 F96-CE_4-RT (glibc 2.31)

Here have an error message «wine: could not load kernel32.dll, status c0000135» although kernell32.dll has been found by Pfind at location:
/root/.wine-appimage-staging/drive_c/windows/system32/kernel32.dll
(see screenshot attached)

The cut1df.exe file is a free tiny application I have been using for «decades (quite! ;-) )» on various wine versions (running on Win XP and earlier ME,98,95 - not on 3.1 etc..), so I believe it could well run on this wine 9.3 with WinXP setting on winecfg.

Thanks for any answer!
Best regards, Charlie

Attachments
Screenshot(1).png
Screenshot(1).png (161.3 KiB) Viewed 414 times
mikewalsh

Post by mikewalsh »

@charlie6 :-

Mm-hm. It might not be the version of 'kernel32.dll' your application is expecting to find.....especially if you've been using it that long. The provided one may well be TOO new...

Perhaps swap it for an older version, see if that makes any difference? That's the only thing that occurs to me off-hand, like. Aside from that, the intricacies of WINE & Windoze have always been a complete mystery to me..!

Sorry I can't be of more help. Perhaps @mikeslr might have some ideas...

Mike. Image

vtpup

Post by vtpup »

Thanks Mike, 9.3 works great. AND, it runs old Google Sketchup 7 and 8, which as I probably repeat ad nauseum by now, is my only WINE must-have capability. Nice to be able to move up this far in wine versions and still run the old standby programs from a dozen years or so ago. And in a portable application, as well. Nice work!

I wanted the 64 bit program capability to try to run FBReader (win version) and I can also report that it does work as well. So I'm able to run an ancient 32 bit and a very recent 64 bit program side by side on Wine 9.3 -- your version, anyway.

Thanks again, Mike! :thumbup2:

HP Envy Laptop 17t-cr100
Fossapup F-96 CE rev 4
Huge kernel: huge-6.1.8-fossapup64

My homemade foam boat:
www.youtube.com/watch?v=4sDubB0-REg

mikewalsh

Post by mikewalsh »

@vtpup :-

Well, it's good to hear you're happy with it. Don't thank me, however; the real work here was done by mmtrt, who built the AppImage.......and ultimately, of course, the boys & girls at Wine HQ who have been some real 'busy beavers' this last couple of years.

As always, I just try to package things up in an easy-to-use fashion. I don't ALWAYS get it right, either..... ( :oops: ) though this particular one has worked out OK, I'm happy to say! :D

Mike. ;)

Return to “WINE 64 BIt”