keepassxc , fpm2

For discussions about security.
darksun

keepassxc , fpm2

Post by darksun »

Hi all.

I have been an happy user of keepassx(c) since many years, both on desktop pc and mobile.

Since several months I have discovered the great linux puppy community and been using BW64 since then.

I am taking into consideration the idea of switching from keepassxc to figaro password manager 2 (actually just manually imported all keepassxc entries into fpm2 as import xml function not working) and just wanted to open this topic in order to share some thoughts and consideration with you all about the pro and cons.

I will start.

Keepass:
- is multi-platform.
- has more features, which is a double-edge sword, I am happy with fpm2 features so far.
- has a (?) better key for encryption (argon2id vs PBKDF2).
- is actively maintained , FPM2 last update is 2020.
- DB size is 1/3 of FPM2 , dont know why.
- there are binaries, FPM2 only offers source code and .rpm as far as I can see.

FPM2:
- is lighter
- smaller code base hence smaller security/bug surface
- has less dependency on other libraries hence less prone to security issues related to that (side-channel attacks?)
- is builtin in (almost) all puppys
- big downside is that there is no mobile client.

Who has and wish to share more thoughts and consideration about why use one over the other one?

Which password manager do you use? (I prefer offline over cloud ones).

Thanks.

DS

proebler

Re: keepassxc , fpm2

Post by proebler »

darksun wrote: Thu Apr 25, 2024 12:07 pm

FPM2:

- big downside is that there is no mobile client.

There is an (older) Android version:https://als.regnet.cz/fpm2/download/FPM2Droid.apk which I have used previously on a tablet. Still available 57.5 KiB apk.

darksun

Re: keepassxc , fpm2

Post by darksun »

I had seen that. it is an old app using old API , for security reasons neither my grapheneos phone nor I want to install it, but thanks for the message.

Return to “Security”