dunst-config : fix some bugs & update to allow usage in Jammy64

Building a Puppy Linux OS

Moderator: Forum moderators

user1234

dunst-config : fix some bugs & update to allow usage in Jammy64

Post by user1234 »

While the older dunst-config (v2.2 from Fossa64) in Jammy64 as well works almost fine, I think there are few things not working. There were some bugs as well (one was specifically this one), and other potential bugs (the script was not made to handle 'edge cases', this one covers some more of them).

This version also includes default dunstrc, designed specifically to match Jammy's default 'Breeze' theme.

The dunst-config even does its thing (editing dunstrc) in non-Puppy distros (tested on Kubuntu 23.04). So, except for dunstrc, all other things should be quite portable to different distros.

Not sure if this dunstrc would work in older distros (although I haven't changed much).

Here is the tar.gz:

Dunst-config_v2.3.tar.gz
(12.19 KiB) Downloaded 11 times

Extract it, copy all files to / (except the pet.specs file).

I wanted to create a pet package for it, but am a bit busy for that.

I am also thinking of creating a specially compiled conky for Jammy64, since the newer versions of conky has made some huge changes in their conkyrc syntax (this dunst-config also does not support the newer syntax) + some additional features and bug fixes. If I work on that, I'd just do another update to this dunst-config supporting the newer syntax (that is why I decided not to convert this into PET yet).

PuppyLinux 🐾 gives new life to old computers ✨

user1234

Re: dunst-config : fix some bugs & update to allow usage in Jammy64

Post by user1234 »

One thing is the icon path configuration in dunstrc.

This version of dunstrc enables icons, but can work only with absolute paths given to icons.

I can update the value of icon path though in dunstrc, but, IMO, it will be very large.

Better option is to use something like icon_theme or enable_recursive_icon_lookup (see https://dunst-project.org/documentation/), but I don't think the dunst's available version from apt in Jammy64 doesn't support these.

The icons are also showing with the chrome's notifications though.

Just like the previous version, it will run the action (like opening link) using middle clicks, left click will close single notification, while right click will close all notifications.

Although, I am a bit in favour of swapping middle click and right click's functions, since I don't think we can have middle click with touchpad. Please share your opinion.

Here are few screenshots:

Screenshot_20240228_224437.png
Screenshot_20240228_224437.png (125.23 KiB) Viewed 409 times
Screenshot_20240228_202211.png
Screenshot_20240228_202211.png (286.43 KiB) Viewed 409 times

user1234

Post by user1234 »

Update:

I was easily able to compile dunst v1.10.0 (latest from Feb 19, 2024). I will be uploading it as a pet here once I complete some tests.

For discussion:

@Clarity, @peebee,

I think we should use that one in Jammy64. I can update this dunst-config v2.3 to match that version; or I can leave this as-is, in case users of older dunst may want this, and instead create a new dunst-config v2.4.

What should I do?

Clarity

Post by Clarity »

I think @peebee can best decide as this very-well could/should get reflected in WoofCE.

@peebee, for the puppy-only repo, might you consider adding @Jasper's QEMU v8 contribution (it is now upgraded from RC to stable GA version)?

Thanks @user1234 :thumbup:

I can and will wait for the next JammyPUP64 upgrade. (reason: I need the next version where it has samba built-in as it is used when I run VMs to exchange files with the Jammy HOST without any need to install anything in either Jammyput64 or any forum distro running in a VM. Everything exist, OOTB, to make this ability simple, fast and easy. Thanks!

user1234

Post by user1234 »

Here is the compiled dunst version 1.10.0 for Jammy64:

dunst-1.10.0-x86_64.pet
(215.03 KiB) Downloaded 11 times

Runtime dependency of libnotify4 is also there (can be installed via apt).

Tested:

• Running dunst. (works)

• Sending notifications via dunstify and notify-send. (works)

• Current dunst-config. (does not work, dunst has added and deprecated few settings)

• Using man dunstctl, man dunst. (works)

• Auto-start for dunst. (added separate Startup script; for currently built jammy's, rm -f $(which notification-daemon-stub) is also required, though that will be changed once these changes are incorporated in woof-CE)

• Notifications sent via apps (tested with mikewalsh's firefox-portable).

Not tested:

• dunstctl. (IDK how to use that command)

• Other stuff I might be missing.

Build commands:

I required libnotify-dev for build. The make command I used to build and install were these:

Code: Select all

make DESTDIR=/root/dunst-build PREFIX=/usr/local SYSCONFDIR=/etc/xdg SYSTEMD=0 WAYLAND=0 DUNSTIFY=1
make DESTDIR=/root/dunst-build PREFIX=/usr/local SYSCONFDIR=/etc/xdg SYSTEMD=0 WAYLAND=0 DUNSTIFY=1 install

This will install dunst to /root/dunst-build (you'll have to create that folder) (kind of a portable install).

You will need to remove the DESTDIR=/root/dunst-build part to really install it to /, as you would expect it to.

user1234

Post by user1234 »

I finally got the time to continue with this work. So, here is the updated PET file for `Dunst_Config`:

Dunst_Config-v2.3_2024.pet
(11.46 KiB) Downloaded 13 times

---

NOTE:

This version will only work with dunst versions more recent than the one found in Fossa64 (the one I provided will work).

Not sure about the exact minimum dunst version that is required for this to work.

user1234

Post by user1234 »

My sincere apologies, for, in my previous `dunst-1.10.0-x86_64.pet` I had not stripped the binaries which even included debug-info! (thanks @peebee for pointing out :thumbup:)

I have corrected my mistake in this PET containing recompiled+stripped executables. I also compressed the manpages as .gz archives:

dunst-1.10.0-x86_64.pet
(81.63 KiB) Downloaded 9 times

As you can see, it is significantly smaller, both as archive size and installed size.

Return to “woof-CE”