How to open all windows at bottom of screen?

Moderator: Forum moderators

boof

How to open all windows at bottom of screen?

Post by boof »

my default desktop has a top row of useful icons for quick access to files.
normally, all new windows open with the icons covered, and i have to manually move the windows downscreen say, 50pixels to expose these icons.
is there a way of automating this, pls?

Last edited by boof on Thu Mar 07, 2024 9:29 pm, edited 1 time in total.
boof

Re: How to open all windows at bottom of screen?

Post by boof »

excuse me moderator,
your title changing is not an improvement, and distorts my intent and question. pls, restore my title and leave well enough alone.

mikewalsh

Post by mikewalsh »

@boof :-

Well, I'm not the moderator in question, so I don't even know what the original title WAS. Be that as it may, let's see if we can sort your actual issue out.

Correct me if I'm wrong; it sounds like you've got a 'launcher dock' at the top of the screen.....and your taskbar is opening on top of it? Should be a simple fix.....and there's absolutely no need to 'automate' moving the taskbar down the screen. You don't have to; all you need to do is to make sure you have the correct display setting for the 'launcher dock'.

Assuming the newer versions of JWMdesk still work largely the same as the older ones, open JWMdesk -> tab 'Tray'. Look for the 'Autohide' setting (under 'Geometry'), and make sure it's set to 'Standard'. What this does is to hide the 'launcher dock' until you actually need it for something; to show it, simply move your cursor up to the middle top of the screen. Bingo! it appears again......but do be aware, you can't move your cursor away from the dock itself, THEN go back to it.....because it's disappeared again in the meantime. Once the dock is showing, you do need to keep the cursor inside it until you've clicked on what you wanted.

This way, your taskbar can show as normal, yet you can always bring the dock as & when required. It's tidier, AND more practical.

Or is this not what you meant?

(The other alternative is of course to move the taskbar back to the bottom of the screen. I believe most people have things this way, because it's a PITA trying to have the dock AND the taskbar both occupying the same part of the screen. Or, you could set it so the dock sits down the side edge of the screen instead..... It's up to you; what do you want to do?)

Mike. Image

Puppy "stuff" ~ MORE Puppy "stuff" ~ ....and MORE! :D

boof

Post by boof »

thanks, that works well foe the bottom launcher bar, but i want one for the top. i don't want damage my settings tinkering. pls advise how to make this work only on the top, with a customsed depth. thx

Keef

Post by Keef »

If you are actually talking about desktop icons then why not do it the easy way and click on 'show desktop'. Click on the icon you need then restore the desktop again.
Otherwise use JWMdesk to make a taskbar at the top.

boof

Post by boof »

how do i restore the first desktop pls? i guess it holds it's settings/images?

Return to “F96-CE”