How to stop puppy asking to create a save file/folder?

New to Puppy and have questions? Start here

Moderator: Forum moderators

Ronny

How to stop puppy asking to create a save file/folder?

Post by Ronny »

Hello,

I am running bookwormpup64 without a save folder.

I first saved all the desktop adaptions, installed printer and scanner driver, etc etc, in a save folder and then made a Ydrv out of it (with nicOS utility).
For all my other apps (browser, coolreader etc.) I use portable apps on another partition.
And if I ever want to change my setup, I still keep the old save folder in a secure location (make the changes and remake a new Ydrv).

I would like to avoid puppy asking me if I want to make a save file at every shutdown. I did not find the answer in this forum.

Can someone point me to the right topic?

Tks

MochiMoppel

Re: How to stop puppy asking to create a save file/folder?

Post by MochiMoppel »

Ronny wrote: Mon Mar 18, 2024 7:59 pm

So do I. This means that you are running in PUPMODE 5.
If you change to PUPMODE 12 before shutdown or reboot you will not be asked to create a savefile/folder.
The PUPMODE is stored in the file /etc/rc.d/PUPSTATE.
I use a command to do this ( sed -i s/^PUPMODE=.*/PUPMODE=12/ /etc/rc.d/PUPSTATE ) but you can do this also manually by editing the file,

mikeslr

Post by mikeslr »

MochiMoppel wrote: Tue Mar 19, 2024 8:37 am
Ronny wrote: Mon Mar 18, 2024 7:59 pm

So do I. This means that you are running in PUPMODE 5.
If you change to PUPMODE 12 before shutdown or reboot you will not be asked to create a savefile/folder.
The PUPMODE is stored in the file /etc/rc.d/PUPSTATE.
I use a command to do this ( sed -i s/^PUPMODE=.*/PUPMODE=12/ /etc/rc.d/PUPSTATE ) but you can do this also manually by editing the file,

Writing pre-1st cup of coffee: so not positive about the logic. I don't doubt that MochiMoppel is correct. However, since you have no SaveFile/Folder, you'll have to do as he recommends before each shutdown/reboot unless you 'capture' the edit to /etc in an a/ydrv. This is the part I'm not sure about: I'm not a coder. I think if you do 'capture' to an a/ydrv you'll be running under PupMode 12, changes will be written automatically to a SaveFile/Folder and you'll have lost the benefit of not automatically doing so.

If the above is correct, I recommend that you put up with the annoying notice. It's harmless. Even though at shutdown a GUI appears offering to "Save" or "No Save" with "Save" highlighted, the default is "NoSave". If you work away doing nothing, in 60 seconds Puppy will shutdown/reboot without Saving.

Perhaps a better solution would be to edit the 'delay' interval, reducing it from 60 seconds to, say 10. 10 seconds is likely less time than it takes to realize you have to click "NoSave" and do so in order to avoid waiting 60 seconds. But enough time to click Save should you want to.
But, as I wrote, "I'm no coder". I don't know how to edit the default 60 second delay.

amethyst

Post by amethyst »

I don't know how to edit the default 60 second delay.

Somewhere in the shutdownconfig script in usr/sbin.

Ronny

Post by Ronny »

Did try the schutdown change to pupmode 12 in rc.d/pupstate but indeed, after reboot, I again get the question to make a save folder.
After that I did look around a bit in usr/sbin/shutdownconfig and changed some timings but for the moment to no avail.

I will put up with the notice at shutdown, it is not such a big thing and I prefer my settings in a read only ydrv instead of a save folder.

Big thanks to all of you
Ronny

amethyst

Post by amethyst »

Did try the schutdown change to pupmode 12 in rc.d/pupstate but indeed, after reboot, I again get the question to make a save folder.

You will because the system automatically creates the entry according to your pupstate. You will need to run that code everytime after reboot if you want to use it. I suggest you place a script with that code in the Startup folder in /root then you don't have to run it manualy everytime (you wil obviously have to save that change to your ydrv). BTW - You can at any time run the save2sfs utility of the utility suite (the ydrv option) and save new changes to the ydrv (no need to hang on to the old save folder). The contents of your existing ydrv plus any new changes to the system will be saved to a new ydrv.

Tippe

Post by Tippe »

You'll need to search the file /USR/SBIN/SHUTDOWNCONFIG for the parameter:

TIMELIMIT

It should be by default ---> TIMELIMIT=60

I changed it to TIMELIMIT=1 to have short option to save, if wanted.
Though, if I remember correctly TIMELIMIT=0 doesn't work.

Bionic Puppy 64bit.
Won't use another one.

MochiMoppel

Post by MochiMoppel »

Ronny wrote: Tue Mar 19, 2024 4:07 pm

Of course. That's because you didn't save anything. I only tried to answer your question, how to do it in principle. I didn't elaborate on the different ways to make this routine permanent. As for me I prefer to shut down with a keyboard shortcut, so the line I mentioned is only one part of my shutdown script and therefore requires no extra action.

I will put up with the notice at shutdown, it is not such a big thing

If that's the only thing that bothers you and if you don't want to make any changes to your ydrv then it's probably the best solution to leave everything as is. I don't recommend to change the time limit. Wouldn't change the root cause of the notice and errors while messing with an important system script could have more serious consequences than simply changing the PUPMODE.

mikeslr wrote: Tue Mar 19, 2024 2:17 pm

I think if you do 'capture' to an a/ydrv you'll be running under PupMode 12, changes will be written automatically to a SaveFile/Folder and you'll have lost the benefit of not automatically doing so.

Which SaveFile/Folder? There is none in Ronny's case. How Puppy runs is determined by boot parameters and/or type of storage device and/or loading of a savefile/folder. The value of the PUPMODE variable only reflects the mode, it doesn't cause it. I'm sure everything will clear up after your morning ☕ ;)

Ronny

Post by Ronny »

Good morning,

@Mikeslr : I changed the limit from 60 to 6, then made a new ydrve and after rebooting checked usr/sbin/shutdownconfig to confirm the change.
But at shutdown nothing changed the message to make a save folder still stays on the screen for 60sec.

@MochiMoppel: I would very much like to know how to make that keyboard shortcut or maybe a desktop icon?

Ronny

Post by Ronny »

I did it :D

I made a new folder in /root : poweroff
I made a new script in that folder also named poweroff

contents of that script:
#!/bin/sh
sed -i s/^PUPMODE=.*/PUPMODE=12/ /etc/rc.d/PUPSTATE ; poweroff

Then I linked that script to my desktop, gave it a nice icon and made a new ydrv.

Now when I click on that desktop icon I have instant shutdown :thumbup2:

Thanks to MochiMoppel for the PUPMODE-script, I couldn't have done that myself (I would have no idea where to start;;;)

Return to “Beginners Help”