Kirkstone64 Container Question (SOLVED)

Moderator: BarryK

vtpup

Kirkstone64 Container Question (SOLVED)

Post by vtpup »

I posted this same question on someone else's similar topic -- and didn't notice it was for an old version of EasyOS -- so understandably there was no response.

Anyway, new to Easy, so sorry if asking questions with obvious answers......

I created a MS Win7 Aquemo VM container in Krkstone64 (laptop type in sig below). I did a fair amount of work in it. Then saved my session on leaving EasyOS (at the save prompt).

On rebooting Easy I see a container shortcut on the main root desktop. Container name is "aquemo.install" there's a little "1" on it and the other grouped icons around it. I assume that means an existing container is present. See screenshot from the desktop below.
]

Screenshot.png
Screenshot.png (17.44 KiB) Viewed 316 times

If I click on that "aquemo.install" container icon, though, nothing happens.

If I click on the Kirkstone icon, a new container named Kirkstone opens.

Where is my earlier container and contents and work, and how do I get there? I assume it's supposed to happen when clicking the desktop icon for it......?

Thanks!

Last edited by vtpup on Thu Mar 14, 2024 5:48 pm, edited 1 time in total.

HP Envy Laptop 17t-cr100
Fossapup F-96 CE rev 4
Huge kernel: huge-6.1.8-fossapup64

My homemade foam boat:
www.youtube.com/watch?v=4sDubB0-REg

Caramel

Re: Kirkstone64 Container Question

Post by Caramel »

vtpup wrote: Sun Mar 03, 2024 2:39 am

On rebooting Easy I see a container shortcut on the main root desktop. Container name is "aquemo.install" there's a little "1" on it and the other grouped icons around it. I assume that means an existing container is present. See screenshot from the desktop below.
]Screenshot.png

This is the icon of the containerized version of aqemu.install (container that can be created with Easy Containers in the create part in the bottom of the window)
It's really very strange.

If you know the name of the container you made, you could search in ROX-filer. (For those who have never done it: Open /files in Rox go to parent directory (/), select all (except /proc), type Ctrl+F and enter the searched word surrounded by simple quotes. You could use asterisks to broaden the search)

BarryK

Post by BarryK »

Right now I can't get my head around what is happening here.

/usr/bin/aqemu.install is an installation script for aqemu.
Once installed, there will be the real /usr/bin/aqemu

That /usr/bin/aqemu would have to be converted to run in a container.

vtpup

Post by vtpup »

Sorry missed the replies here, I'm still pursuing this. I've had losses of data in the kirkstone /files container, even though it was saved manually. I'm going to work on the assumption that there is something wrong with my EasyOS installation, so I'm just going to delete the whole thing and start over from scratch. If this behavior is a puzzle to you Barry, I'm guessing it's absolutely not normal for EasyOS, and it must just be a bad installation.

I will report back, just to make sure this is cleared up, and not a question.

HP Envy Laptop 17t-cr100
Fossapup F-96 CE rev 4

My homemade foam boat:

vtpup

Post by vtpup »

Okay I have a brand new Kirkstone64 install on a fresh thumbdrive booted up.

i go to Menu>Utility>qtEmu to install QtEmu. I go through the steps to download and install.

I go to Menu>Filesystem>Easy Container Management

I drop down to Create - Choose an Application to Run in a Container.

I choose QtEmu

I hit Create and Exit

Icon for QtEmu container appears on desktop. Clicking on it does nothing.

There are now two QtEmu entries in Menu>Utility, one has a small lock on it. Presumably a containerized version. Clicking on it does nothing.

Clicking on the non-locked icon version opens QtEmu -- presumably the non-containerized version.

Okay so that didn't work.

So then I thought that perhaps if I went into the default Desktop container, Kirkstone, maybe I could run QtEmu there and the VMs would reside there. But it reports that it isn't installed. So I would have to add another 422 Mb QtEmu install there, when it is already installed at the top level?

I have a hard time understanding how containers work -- this seems to be a repetition of my earlier failure, above.

I should explain my ultimate goal is to run Windows 7 as a VM in a container.

I'm not having a hard time with the creation of a Win 7 VM via Qemu -- I've done that successfully in Puppies. The problem I'm having is just creating a workable container in EasyOS.

HP Envy Laptop 17t-cr100
Fossapup F-96 CE rev 4

My homemade foam boat:

BarryK

Post by BarryK »

OK, thinking more clearly about what you are attempting...

qtemu mostly likely will not work in a container, as it is a "crippled root" environment.

You would have to run the container with full root capabilities, which then makes it much less secure.

That can be done, but why run it in a container?
qtemu starts a virtual machine, which is inherently secure. A VM is vastly more secure than a container.
There is no point in trying to do it from within a container.

vtpup

Post by vtpup »

Thank you Barry, that answers two questions altogether. Okay, then no problem. I was influenced in my lack of understanding by the VMs in EasyOS Topic above where Win 10 was operated in Qemu. I just assumed it was in a container. But I now see it isn't necessary.

HP Envy Laptop 17t-cr100
Fossapup F-96 CE rev 4

My homemade foam boat:

Return to “EasyOS”