Python IDE for Easy?

Moderator: BarryK

szept

Python IDE for Easy?

Post by szept »

From time to time I have an irresistible desire to learn coding. On Windows I tried C++ in CodeBlocks. Now I wanted to try some Python. Is there an IDE in EasyOS? If not - what would you recommend to use? If 0 is someone who has never heard about programming (doesn't even know what C++ or Python is) and 100 in Neo, then I'm probably 1,5.

Thanks in advance

P.S.
When I type *python in pRun I get 3 items, but clicking of any of them does nothing - not sure what does it mean, but in my understanding, they don't work.

Running live-USB EasyOS-64_5.6.3

...and taxes are theft! -.-
https://321my.wordpress.com/pw/

Keef

Re: Python in Easy

Post by Keef »

You need to download and install the devx sfs, using SFSGet. Once installed, just type python in a terminal, and off you go. As for IDEs, I couldn't recommend anything, but do you really need one?

Stogie

Post by Stogie »

I've been writing code for over 40 years and I've never used an IDE, just a good code editor (meaning a glorified text editor).

Try Geany, for example, which is baked into the old version of EasyOS I'm using at the moment (it does have some IDE-like features but I never use them). Notepad++ is good too but that's a Windows thing.

Then again, I've never used "frameworks" either whenever it's possible to avoid them; I prefer to hand-code everything I can ground-up myself when possible, for more control and less outside dependencies to worry about. So, maybe I'm just a weirdo. :)

don570

Perl in Easy

Post by don570 »

I believe that Perl language also needs DEVX SFS

Keef

Post by Keef »

Stogie

Not that I could even remotely describe myself as a coder, but I do agree that IDEs are not a great help in learning really. If szept does want to go down that route, an online IDE like replit https://replit.com/site/ide might be a better bet. No messing about getting something installed, and can be run from any OS.

szept

Post by szept »

Thanks for your answers guys!
@Keef @Stogie @don570

I'll probably use the online version then. I was looking for IDE, because I thought I need some kind of application to for example create a text file and fill it in. Hovewer I'm not a programmer, so maybe I get it wrong. I guess I'll just ask my programming-friends :)

You mentioned Geany, but can I have these fancy arrows there? I mean the arrows (green ones on the image below) which show you that this like (after TAB or few TABs) is coming from that line, and another line (after another TAB) is coming from that line.

Stogie

Post by Stogie »

szept wrote:

You mentioned Geany, but can I have these fancy arrows there? I mean the arrows (green ones on the image below) which show you that this like (after TAB or few TABs) is coming from that line, and another line (after another TAB) is coming from that line.

You can try going to the "View" drop-down menu and activating "Show Indentation Guides", which draws faint gray vertical lines at indentation points, which may help. I use it all the time in my code, it helps to easily see which indentation level a pair of widely-separated lines are on. I'm not aware of any arrow-drawing feature, but I'm not a Geany expert.

proebler

Re: Python IDE for Easy?

Post by proebler »

With Geany, when you choose: File > New (with Template) > main.py
then you get this to start you off:

Code: Select all

#!/usr/bin/env python
# -*- coding: utf-8 -*-
#
#  untitled.py
#  
#  Copyright 2024 root <root@puppypc>
#  
#  This program is free software; you can redistribute it and/or modify
#  it under the terms of the GNU General Public License as published by
#  the Free Software Foundation; either version 2 of the License, or
#  (at your option) any later version.
#  
#  This program is distributed in the hope that it will be useful,
#  but WITHOUT ANY WARRANTY; without even the implied warranty of
#  MERCHANTABILITY or FITNESS FOR A PARTICULAR PURPOSE.  See the
#  GNU General Public License for more details.
#  
#  You should have received a copy of the GNU General Public License
#  along with this program; if not, write to the Free Software
#  Foundation, Inc., 51 Franklin Street, Fifth Floor, Boston,
#  MA 02110-1301, USA.
#  
#  

def main(args):
    return 0

if __name__ == '__main__':
    import sys
    sys.exit(main(sys.argv))

(in Easy Buster64)

szept

Post by szept »

Stogie wrote: Sat Mar 02, 2024 2:43 am

You can try going to the "View" drop-down menu and activating "Show Indentation Guides", which draws faint gray vertical lines at indentation points, which may help. I use it all the time in my code, it helps to easily see which indentation level a pair of widely-separated lines are on. I'm not aware of any arrow-drawing feature, but I'm not a Geany expert.

I tried the grey arrows and they're not exactly what I'm looking for, because they don't show where the line is coming from. I didn't mean that something draws arrows, just display arrows, but...

proebler wrote: Sat Mar 02, 2024 9:53 am

With Geany, when you choose: File > New (with Template) > main.py

This will do! Awesome, thanks :)

Return to “EasyOS”