How to change ssvncviewer menu colors? (Solved)

Moderators: kirk, jamesbond, p310don, JakeSFR, step, Forum moderators

fatdoguser

How to change ssvncviewer menu colors? (Solved)

Post by fatdoguser »

I'm running Fatdog X as spot (using Xvnc). Using a low (16 bit) color depth, and 12 frames per second, so accessible and usable even remotely (typically less than 1MB/sec even when viewing a youtube in chrome).

ssvncviewer to connect to that however has, for me, awful F8 menu colors, white font on light grey and where the text is already relatively small. I haven't looked at the source code, but thought I'd ask whether anyone has a patch for that. Black text on white, or white text on black for example?

As a side note, I'm using port 8080 as the vnc port, same as https (I don't run a https service). Just leave that open (port forwarded in the router) and mostly connections just go to a black hole, but where when I do attach the vncserver to that (for remote access), it works quite well to have you vnc into both your own and anothers desktop, and for them to do the same. If you both also open up guvcview you can also see each other as well as being able to control your own and their desktops and vice versa. Similar in some respects to back seat driver, but two-way, and more directly (no third party systems involved).

Within the desktop (X run as spot, within a overlayfs/chroot), even if hacked there's not much that can be done, can't access the HDD's, can't run things like gparted, I even delete /etc/shadow so there's no password hashes - spot can't su, and any changes are lost at reboot/shutdown.

jamesbond

Re: ssvncviewer menu colors

Post by jamesbond »

fatdoguser wrote: Wed Feb 28, 2024 11:05 am

ssvncviewer to connect to that however has, for me, awful F8 menu colors, white font on light grey and where the text is already relatively small. I haven't looked at the source code, but thought I'd ask whether anyone has a patch for that. Black text on white, or white text on black for example?

No patch needed. Edit /etc/X11/app-defaults/Ssvnc

Change *popup*background: grey to *popup*background: white to change the popup background from grey to white.

Change *popup*font: -misc-fixed-bold-r-normal--0-0-75-75-*-*-*-* to *popup*font: -misc-fixed-bold-r-normal--0-200-75-75-*-*-*-* to enlarge the text (that 200 means 20.0 point). You can of course use a different font, use xlsfonts to see what fonts are available for use.

fatdoguser

Re: ssvncviewer menu colors

Post by fatdoguser »

jamesbond wrote: Wed Feb 28, 2024 12:19 pm
fatdoguser wrote: Wed Feb 28, 2024 11:05 am

No patch needed. Edit /etc/X11/app-defaults/Ssvnc

Change *popup*background: grey to *popup*background: white to change the popup background from grey to white.

Change *popup*font: -misc-fixed-bold-r-normal--0-0-75-75-*-*-*-* to *popup*font: -misc-fixed-bold-r-normal--0-200-75-75-*-*-*-* to enlarge the text (that 200 means 20.0 point). You can of course use a different font, use xlsfonts to see what fonts are available for use.

Thanks @jamesbond

Never thought to look there. I changed all instances of grey to black and all 0-75-75 to 200-75-75 ... as otherwise if for instance you select 'compression level' the sub-menu of choices also remained at the small/grey background white text.

The now larger white text on black background is much more comfortable to view :thumbup2:

Return to “Software”