Is web application development and programming (in C or rust) possible with Puppy?

For discussions about programming, and for programming questions and advice

Moderator: Forum moderators

Void074

Is web application development and programming (in C or rust) possible with Puppy?

Post by Void074 »

After I crashed my PC which ran POP OS, I used Puppy Linux to backup all my data before I wiped the HDD. but before I got around to wiping the HDD, I started using Puppy full time, So I never really got around to wiping the HDD. After 6 months I finally got around to re-installing POP OS and wiping the data of my HDD.

I never did try to web application development or programming in puppy, I mainly used it to surf the web, watch tutorials and writing up documentation. Now I am considering switching to puppy linux for web application development and a bit of programming.

My question is, is web application development and programming (in c or rust) possible with Puppy Linux?

sonny

Re: Programming on Puppy Linux

Post by sonny »

:welcome:

You can install Visual Studio Code and many other.

Void074

Re: Programming on Puppy Linux

Post by Void074 »

:D , I can develop and work on web applications and programming on puppy.

While I am not novice to linux, I have been slow learning about linux. I started using linux 3 years ago.
The appeal of running linux from a USB is really fascinating. I currently looking into the build tool Woof-CE. It;s amazing

peebee

Re: Is web application development and programming (in C or rust) possible with Puppy?

Post by peebee »

You need to install (download and put into your frugal install directory - use sfs-load to install) the devx.sfs for your puppy version.

ONLY EVER DO A FRUGAL INSTALL OF PUPPY! This only means frugal use of disk space - it is a full install in every other aspect and is better than a "traditional full install" in many ways.....

Please always say which Puppy version you are running.

Thanks.

Builder of LxPups, SPups, UPup32s, VoidPups; LXDE, LXQt, Xfce addons; Chromium, Firefox etc. sfs; & Kernels

Luke2021

Re: Is web application development and programming (in C or rust) possible with Puppy?

Post by Luke2021 »

peebee wrote: Mon Jul 05, 2021 6:11 am

May i ask why ?

peebee

Post by peebee »

Luke2021 wrote: Mon Jul 05, 2021 9:22 am

May i ask why ?

Because they are all slightly different and the advice given may vary dependent on the version

Builder of LxPups, SPups, UPup32s, VoidPups; LXDE, LXQt, Xfce addons; Chromium, Firefox etc. sfs; & Kernels

puppy_apprentice

Post by puppy_apprentice »

There:
CGI scripts with busybox httpd
you have some examples made with bash and C.

Void074

Post by Void074 »

@peebee am using FossaPup64 9.5

mikeslr

Post by mikeslr »

Luke2021 wrote: Mon Jul 05, 2021 9:22 am

May i ask why ?

I have the programming skills of a 6 year old playing with blocks. But I was working with Puppys for a couple of years before Microsoft announced it was discontinuing support for Windows XP; and am by nature inclined toward being an historian.
About 11 years ago Puppy Linux's creator, Barry Kauler, created the first version of woof as a means by which the binaries of Linux distributions could be used to build a Puppy: a alternative to having to compile those binaries from scratch. For the most part, since then, while all Puppies utilize a common or similar infra-structure, each is binary compatible with some version of some Major Linux distro. As examples Fossapup64 is binary compatible with Ubuntu Focal Fossa; Slacko 5.7 with Slackware 14.0 and dpup-stretch with debian stretch. Note, binary compatible means neither identical to, a 'spin' of, nor cut-down version of the distro version whose binaries were used. Puppys' infra-structure may not only lack some of the files employed by its binary compatible distro-version, on rare occasions the files a Puppy does employ may conflict with them.
Woof made it possible for anyone to create and publish a Puppy. But even before Woof --and continuing to this day-- Puppys have remaster applications that anyone can use to create and publish his or her own take on what would be a useful addition to 'the kennel'. :thumbup: By anyone, I mean even me: I've published three. :D
At last count, there were over 5,000 published Puppy versions*. :lol:
They all have much in common. But each also is slightly unique.
-=-=-=-=-=-
* As a practical matter, I estimate that less than 30 are still actively supported or occasionally recommended to be tried by 'newbies' owning computers with the limited RAM and CPUs sold a decade ago. But, nothing gets wasted. As long as someone can remember it, even an ancient Puppy may be recommended to a Newby trying to resurrect a really ancient computer. And some Puppy fans find pleasure in exploring what can still be accomplished with old Puppys. For example, see viewtopic.php?p=238#p238 and viewtopic.php?p=238#p238 Puppy 4.31 predates the creation of Woof.

Void074

Post by Void074 »

@mikeslr interesting read and I looking forward to exploring puppy Linux and using puppy linux as my daily driver

Luke2021

Post by Luke2021 »

mikeslr wrote: Wed Jul 07, 2021 1:29 am

For example, see viewtopic.php?p=238#p238 and viewtopic.php?p=238#p238 Puppy 4.31 predates the creation of Woof.

Thanks for the info.
Note:The two link lead to the same thread!

saipavan

Post by saipavan »

It's been a very very long time but, Puppy Linux might be the perfect companion for your coding journey, proving that great things can come in small packages.

saipavan

Post by saipavan »

I think you can use Puppy Linux to learn web development and even to code in C or Rust. Because Puppy is incredibly light, it can perform development tasks with ease and won't slow you down. You will be able to launch your preferred text editors or integrated development environments (IDEs), set up local servers, and begin coding.
I can't help but think of niche online marketplaces when I see your move. They cut the clutter and concentrate on the important things to provide simple, effective solutions. It's similar to your approach of concentrating on the essentials when you consider Puppy Linux for your development requirements.

Return to “Programming”