Inxi.....as a self-contained, noarch 'portable' that CAN run from the tray, with entry GUI for 'options'...

Moderator: Forum moderators

mikewalsh

Inxi.....as a self-contained, noarch 'portable' that CAN run from the tray, with entry GUI for 'options'...

Post by mikewalsh »

Evening, gang.

I was convinced I'd published this quite some time ago, but apparently not. I was messing around one day, trying to come up with a slightly more user-friendly way of running Inxi on the desktop. For those of you that may not know, Inxi is a terminal-based system information tool for Linux, with various filtering options to let you home in on parts of the system you're interested in.

This is an 'upgraded' version of that originally published by puppyluvr on the old Forum some years ago:-

https://oldforum.puppylinux.com/viewtopic.php?t=96562

I built it into my 'portable' format (in this case, as a ROX-app); included is an option to add an icon to run it from the notification area. Also included is the full 'options' list, available by right-clicking the icon.

You click the icon - or just click on the ROX-app - and you'll get a small GUI come up:-

Consulting the options list, you enter your required options, always preceding these with a "-" (not for every option, just at the beginning of your option choices).....Inxi just expects it like this. Hit OK, and the full readout of what you've selected will come up in a terminal window. For example, the usual request for a full system output would be

Code: Select all

-Fxzzr

...which includes privacy filters for MAC addresses, etc. (Other people don't need to know stuff like this!) :shock: :D

Inxi is probably the most commonly-requested system information tool by the majority of Linux fora, so.....it just makes sense to have it easily-available. You can find it attached below.

Hope it's useful to some of you!

Mike. Image

Attachments
Inxi-portable.tar.xz
INXI.....in 'portable' format, with 'options' entry GUI
(195.69 KiB) Downloaded 28 times

Puppy "stuff" ~ MORE Puppy "stuff" ~ ....and MORE! :D

Return to “System”