Current Puppies for Eeepc?

Issues and / or general discussion relating to Puppy

Moderator: Forum moderators

Mike7

Current Puppies for Eeepc?

Post by Mike7 »

Hi, good puppylinux people!

Me and my Asus eeepc 1000HA have been gone from the forum for a few years due to ill health and non-functioning machinery, but I hope to get my Netbook up and running again.

This was the setup when I left off:

Carolite-1.2 w/FF38 on bootable 16G flash drive; Asus eeePC 1000HA, Atom CPU, 2G RAM, 160G HDD.

Question: Are there any current distros/versions designed for the eeepc, with supported/maintained repos? If not, what was the last one?

Cheers!

ally

Re: Eeepc puppies

Post by ally »

Clarity

Re: Eeepc puppies

Post by Clarity »

:welcome: back.

I have a solution which allows me to boot all modern WoofCE 32bit PUP ISO files and not take ANY disk space on the system drive except for the save sessions.

I have tested most every recent one across this forum since 2019 on my Asus eeePC. They all boot to desktop without issue in booting and run well.

The ONLY issue ever run into is with setup of the Wifi. Each 32bit PUP differs in this area. ...ONLY!

mikeslr

Re: Current Puppies for Eeepc?

Post by mikeslr »

Hi Mike7. I'm not sure I should :welcome: you back as you've made things more complicated, I frequently refer to MikeWalsh as 'T'Other Mike' and vice-versa. Now that will be confusing.

The major problem you would have running 'old Puppys' is finding functioning Web-browsers. More & more web-sites restrict access to only reasonably current web-browsers, and fewer and fewer 32-bit web-browsers are being published. With an old Puppy, you might get bye with MikeWalsh's portable palemoon, https://www.forum.puppylinux.com/viewto ... 4251#p4251 for a while. But I've recently noticed some web-sites not allowing access to even the current 64-bit version.

My major recommendation is to invest in a least one good USB-Stick: doesn't have to be a large size --8 Gb is sufficient if you find one. But it should be by a reputable manufacturer. Booting via such USB-Key will enable you to explore without compromising any Puppy installed to the hard-drive. You can use the latter even if only for the purpose of wiping (via gparted) and rebuilding the USB-Stick with a different Puppy.

Your eeepc 1000HA is 64-bit capable. But with only 1Gb of RAM you'll likely want to continue using a 32-bit system. Thanks to peebee's creation, you may now be able to have the best of both worlds: There's a 64-bit compatibility SFS you can SFS-load. It comes at a price: a lot of your RAM will be otherwise unavailable when you actually open a web-browser. But you can use one of MikeWalsh's portables. They are external to your OS only requiring a couple Mbs of RAM when NOT in use; less if you don't create a menu entry, file-browsing to their LAUNCH scripts as and when you need to.

You might consider a memory upgrade, for example 2Gbs for $14, https://www.memorystock.com/memory/ASUSEeePC1000HA.html

I suspect that one of the reasons you liked Carolite was that it used xfce as it's Window manager: xfce works well with small screens and the 1000HA is only 10.5. JWM has come a long way as window manager. 0micko developed ptheming for it, and ptheming permits the use of panels (holding launchers) on each of the 4 desktop edges. Radky's JWMDesk enable two. But I suspect that you would find the Lx window manager with panels will work just as well as xfce. Peebee has published several recent 32-bit Lx-puppies, https://www.forum.puppylinux.com/viewforum.php?f=121.

As Clarity mentioned, getting wifi to function is a problem. Thanks to jemimah --who not only provided the design for Carolite but started Puppy on the road to modularization-- all Puppys are now modularly built: it is now easy to swap kernels and their associated packages of drivers. Unfortunately, Carolite does not, itself, permit swapping it's kernel and drivers into a new Puppy, or recent kernel packages into it. [To use peebee's 64bit Compatibility SFS you'll have to swap in a 64bit Kernel]. So we'll have to find a kernel which supports the wifi adapter built into the 1000HA or have someone compile it. [Wifi also needs firmware. But firmware is not 'Kernel specific'].
You can install Pupsys-Info, https://www.forum.puppylinux.com/viewto ... 266#p32266 into Carolite. It provides a GUI for finding out what hardware and drivers are on a computer. Knowing what wifi-adapter is built in will help figure out what wifi driver you'll need; and perhaps what 64-bit kernel already provides it.

Mike7

Post by Mike7 »

Thanks to everyone who replied. You've given me a lot of information to digest. I'm also having problems with using this new forum (like how do I get email notifications of replies?). But I will be back as soon as I've been able to work through some of it.

Cheers!

mikeslr

Post by mikeslr »

Mike7,

While looking for something else I just stumbled upon the fact that peebee has published an xfce ydrv for jammy32bit. https://www.forum.puppylinux.com/viewto ... mmy#p76490, Thought you might be interested, Jammy32 is new, but seasoned, xfce is the window manager you may prefer. To use a ydrv.sfs you simply download it, place it next to the base.sfs --e.g. puppy_upupjj+d_22.0x.sfs and reboot. ydrvs are automatically loaded on boot-up and can't be unloaded. [To unload, rename one, then reboot]. Haven't used it; but there's likely a Window-switcher on the Menu.

Mike7

Post by Mike7 »

Thanks, mikeslr. Sounds good. I'll look into it.

BTW, my eeepc has 2gb ram, and when it's working I run Carolite from a linux partition on a 16gb pendrive, the other partition being file storage. The only thing on the hard drive is WinXP.

I remember that I had trouble at first creating bootable pendrives and solved the problem with grub4dos (if I recall correctly).

I really need to get the computer working before bothering you guys with any more puppy questions, but I'm stuck because it needs a battery and there are none here in Bs As. :(

wizard

Post by wizard »

@Mike7
@mikeslr

Your eeepc 1000HA is 64-bit capable.

Think the eeepc 1000HA came standard with a Atom N270 cpu which is 32bit, also 2gb is listed as max ram. CPU is hyper-threading which helps a little. They'll still play, but slowly.

Thanks
wizard

Big pile of OLD computers

Wiz57

Post by Wiz57 »

Might want to take a look at 8Geee's Atomic Pups, these have been trimmed down so to speak for Intel Atom CPUs.
https://forum.puppylinux.com/viewtopic. ... 520#p60520

Signature available upon request

Mike7

Post by Mike7 »

Thanks, wiz57. I will definitely check out 8Geee's Atomic Pups.

And, yes, my 1000HA has a 32bit Atom N270 cpu.

Wiz57

Post by Wiz57 »

Another option is to use an older Puppy, I've had good success with peebee's ScPup32 from late 2020, early 2021, as well as his ArchPup 32...
The only thing to watch out for if getting a little later will be the WiFi adapter. My old Acer Aspire One has an Atheros adapter, and upstream
Linux kernel devs removed the support for these old adapters. What I did was a "kernel swap" on ScPup, switched to peebee's kernel from
around December 2020, as well as the fdrv.sfs for firmware, and all works well. I did this manually by renaming the fdrv to match what the
init.rd was expecting. Memory a bit foggy, but seem to remember the kernel I used was version 4.19.160 or something similar.
The only problem area is with web browsers...though Palemoon from peebee's "Get Web Browser" works, seems a lot of sites are using
incompatible web components in the site JavaScript. I also had trouble with chromium after version 94 something, couldn't get them launched.
Possibly issues with glibc or such.
Wiz

Signature available upon request

Mike7

Post by Mike7 »

Wiz57 -

Yup, Atheros adapter in the eeepc 1000HA.

BTW, why hasn't Carolina itself been maintained? It had such an extensive repo...

M

mikeslr

Post by mikeslr »

Why wasn't Carolina maintained? While jemimah pioneered the movement to modularity with Saluki, the Salukis/Carolinas were not sufficiently modular to enable easy upgrades of kernels. Until Amethyst's recent work with glibc, upgrading a kernel was the only way to obtain a more recent glibc. glibc is a foundation library. Newer web-browsers demand newer glibc*. Battleshooter's Vanguard based on Carolina 1.3 was the last of that series. To create Carolina 1.3, Battleshooter had to replace the builtin glibc**. The then current glibc she used was 2.20, https://oldforum.puppylinux.com/viewtop ... eb#p814591.

It was just easier to move on.

By the way, if you are using a precise-era Puppy, you can probably install the applications available from the Carolina repo. You might try amethyst's precise-extra. https://www.forum.puppylinux.com/viewto ... 697#p67697
-=-=-=-
* Well, actually Web-browsers demand newer OpenSSL, and OpenSSL are glibc dependent. The work Battleshooter pioneered ultimately lead to including libraries within web-browsers, and creating chrooted web-browsers which run a newer operating system with newer glibcs to run a newer web-browser.
** I wasn't as successful as Amethyst in replacing glibc. I tried and failed with tahrpup. As I wrote above, it was just easier to move on.

Mike7

Post by Mike7 »

Thank you for all the interesting and helpful information, mikeslr.

Not sure what a precise-era puppy is, but is there somewhere I can download a precise-extra ISO complete with kernel and browser (and Atheros wifi drivers)? I have no experience switching things in and out.

Cheers

M

Trapster

Post by Trapster »

My daily 32 bit 1000HA runs well with Slacko-7(with firefox 68.12.0esr 32 bit), UPupFF+D-20.12+0 (with firefox 109.0.1 32 bit) and Antix-17.3.1_386-full.
All run very well with latest firefox available for each os.

I've actually been running antiX (full install) for the last couple of years but using UPupFF+D-20.12+0 (frugal) more and more lately.
1gb hd,
1gb ram
1gb swap

Oh...and the dogs work pretty decent too.
Bookworm: DebLive_bookworm-i386.iso
Bullseye

Mike7

Post by Mike7 »

Hi, Trapster. Tell me, do you have many website rendering problems with the Firefox 68esr in Slacko-7?

Trapster

Post by Trapster »

Mike7 wrote: Thu Feb 09, 2023 10:49 pm

Hi, Trapster. Tell me, do you have many website rendering problems with the Firefox 68esr in Slacko-7?

Not that I recall. I usually use Palemoon but when sites don't render correctly with Palemoon, I fire up Firefox.

Any websites in particular giving you issues? I can take a look.

Mike7

Post by Mike7 »

Any websites in particular giving you issues? I can take a look.

No. Thanks anyway, Trapster. Just wondering, because they say that the older FFs no longer cut the mustard.

Sub13

Post by Sub13 »

Bonjour

Objet:Connexion wifi.

J'ai testé pupylinux en live USB sur mon EeePC (sur lequel Lubuntu fonctionne y compris le wifi mais un peu lent).

Par contre je n'arrive pas à me connecter en wifi auriez-vous une solution ? Ou il y a-t'il un version pupy linux adapté à mon EeePC.

Merci

EeePC 1000h mémoire 1Go

mlstein

Post by mlstein »

Sub13 wrote: Wed Feb 07, 2024 10:06 am

Bonjour

J'ai testé pupylinux en live USB sur mon EeePC (sur lequel Lubuntu fonctionne y compris le wifi mais un peu lent).

Par contre je n'arrive pas à me connecter en wifi auriez-vous une solution ? Ou il y a-t'il un version pupy linux adapté à mon EeePC.

Merci

EeePC 1000h mémoire 1Go

I've had no problems with WiFi on my 701 and 900 using Bionic 32 bit, XSlacko 4.5, and other older distros. For newer ones I think the advanced Network Manager is better than Frisbee or the Simple Network wizard.

mlstein

Post by mlstein »

I've done a bit of customizing for my eeepc 701 and 900. Starting with the slimmest of the 32-bit Bionics (kernel 4.19, which runs faster I think than 5.10) I added Textmaker 32 bit with fonts, which is a much better word processor than Abiword, and Slimjet 27, which runs quite fast, is compatible with most security setups for websites, and syncs with Chrome so I can have all my passwords and bookmarks. I set the panels to autohide because I always need every bit of screen for apps. It runs amazingly fast on my 900, especially--I'm finding it a usable machine even for (light) legal research. Feel free to download it from https://drive.google.com/file/d/1pOyozt ... drive_link. Please let me know how it runs!

mikeslr

Post by mikeslr »

Other possible Puppys for low-ram computers can be found on this thread, https://www.forum.puppylinux.com/viewto ... 47#p100547

fernan

Post by fernan »

Sub13 wrote: Wed Feb 07, 2024 10:06 am

Bonjour

Merci

EeePC 1000h mémoire 1Go

I've found that in one of my 32 bit computers, any Puppy newer than the original bionicpup32-8.0+0-uefi.iso (including the newer BionicPup32-19.03-240208.iso, and SCpup) don't recognize my wi-fi card. I guess is something related to the newer Kernel 5 (The old Bionicpup32 uses Kernel 4.x).

So, if you are having problems with your wifi card, I suggest you to try bionicpup32-8.0+0-uefi.iso and then apply the updates as explained in the distro help (using Delta files)

Return to “Users”