Is there a Minimal Basic Puppy Linux to Use?

New to Puppy and have questions? Start here

Moderator: Forum moderators

JusGellin

Is there a Minimal Basic Puppy Linux to Use?

Post by JusGellin »

I would like to get or make a very basic Puppy Linux to use on some computers to just use to boot a computer. Then I want to make this computer a virtual manager host that can run guest computers on it. Is there one available? Or what apps can be safely removed?

Thanks
JusGellin

pp4mnklinux

Re: Is there a Minimal Basic Puppy Linux to Use?

Post by pp4mnklinux »

Hi @JusGellin :

You can search for "Barebones puppies" and take a look to find any one for you. viewtopic.php?p=90312&hilit=barebone+puppy#p90312

My favourite for speed and simplicity VanilladPup 10.0.45 RETRO. viewtopic.php?t=9113

And I wanna try a very graphical puppy, I invite you to use F96CE_XFCE_FUSILLI 4.4 viewforum.php?f=201

Hope it helps.- HAVE A NICE DAY... Cheers.

JusGellin

Post by JusGellin »

@pp4mnklinux
Great! Thanks for your help.

williwaw

Post by williwaw »

yes, vanillaDpup has some minimal builds or you could build a minimal dog? maybe with the starter kit project. klv has some minimal builds also.

Then I want to make this computer a virtual manager host that can run guest computers on it.

curious about the host/guest arrangement you propose?

JusGellin

Post by JusGellin »

I would use the Puppy Linux as the kvm host running virt-manager instead of Qemu. That would be it's only job. I want to run Windows11 and several versions of Linux. I'm doing this on a bigger pc using PopOS as the host right now and want to do this on a smaller machine without the overhead of PopOS.

williwaw

Post by williwaw »

JusGellin wrote: Tue Jan 30, 2024 8:12 pm

I would use the Puppy Linux as the kvm host running virt-manager instead of Qemu. That would be it's only job. I want to run Windows11 and several versions of Linux. I'm doing this on a bigger pc using PopOS as the host right now and want to do this on a smaller machine without the overhead of PopOS.

how does the bigger PC serve the guest computers? can you run a lower spec laptop that way?

ozsouth

Post by ozsouth »

@JusGellin - not sure if useful, but I made a 220mb basic puppy (with updated kernel & security) see:
viewtopic.php?p=95197#p95197

JusGellin

Post by JusGellin »

@williwaw

how does the bigger PC serve the guest computers? can you run a lower spec laptop that way?

I'm not an expert in any way on this, but from my understanding kvm is built into the linux kernal and the guest virtual machines get direct access to the computers resources through the linux kernel. So it seems it doesn't take a bunch of power to do this like other apps such as Virtual Box and VMware that rely on the host application to serve the guest machines.

JusGellin

Post by JusGellin »

Also, kvm (kernel based virtual machine) is now in every linux kernel.

JusGellin

Post by JusGellin »

ozsouth

not sure if useful, but I made a 220mb basic puppy (with updated kernel & security) see:
viewtopic.php?p=95197#p95197

Thanks, I'll look at that

ozsouth

Post by ozsouth »

@JusGellin - kvm is in my Fossa-Less as a module, so need to run: modprobe kvm (could put that in a script in /root/Startup)

wizard

Post by wizard »

@JusGellin

I am confused about your goal and perhaps your terminology. It sounds like you would like to have:

-HOST computer, that GUEST computers can connect with and run applications that are on the HOST
-GUEST computers, which are less powerful, that can connect to the HOST via the network

If this is correct, then it doesn't need "virtual" technology.

wizard

Big pile of OLD computers

JusGellin

Post by JusGellin »

@wizard
No, I'm thinking more for as a host for virtual machines. The host would be the kvm host that would serve installed virtual machines or guests.

wizard

Post by wizard »

@JusGellin

Thanks for the clarification.

wizard

Big pile of OLD computers

JusGellin

Post by JusGellin »

@wizard
I just wanted to let you know why I use virtual machines and why I want to have a simple Puppy Linux to do this.

I like to have a guest virtual machine as my main pc which I use for most of my work, like browsing etc. Then I also have a Windows virtual machine which I just need from time to time, but not very much. I like to try different distros so that's another reason I like doing this.

But the biggest reason I like to have virtual machines is because I can make quick backups called snapshots. If ever anything goes wrong or I would just like to go back to a previous snapshot. I make these snapshots as I feel I may have some improvements to go back to. If the guest crashes or I just want a clean machine, I can go back to a previous snapshot.

Also each guest virtual machine is isolated to the local network because the main host computer acts as a router to keep them isolated.

There's other reasons but these are the best reasons I have for doing this. It seems to me that the Puppy linux used to host or run these is best when it doesn't need many resources for itself.

The linux built in to do this allows those guest pc's to have direct access to the hardware of the physical computer.

rockedge
Site Admin

Post by rockedge »

VirtualBox works great on a stock F96-CE_4. Loading the kernel sources SFS it was easy to build the kernel driver for it.

QEMU works well on F96-CE_4 also, and what I use to test KLV's while building them.. Uses the version 4 installed via the PPM or install manually the latest version 8+.

Return to “Beginners Help”