Problem with wbar (SOLVED)

Moderator: Forum moderators

petihar

Problem with wbar (SOLVED)

Post by petihar »

Hello, this is a call for help: who knows what I can do to permanently remove this black sub-bar that recurs regularly under wbar ( version 2.3.4 from synaptic ) .
Thanks in advance petihar

Attachments
image.png
image.png (43.13 KiB) Viewed 637 times
Capture2.png
Capture2.png (43.13 KiB) Viewed 636 times
Last edited by petihar on Sat Dec 16, 2023 1:19 pm, edited 1 time in total.
mow9902

Re: wbar

Post by mow9902 »

I use fossapup9.6 - but maybe wbar works the same in bookworm.

The background 'bar' is just an icon you can select in the preferences. You can try different options to get what you prefer.
I have used a semi transparent icon named dock.png which you should find in /usr/share/pixmaps/wbar. I have attached a copy if you do not have it.

wbar1.png
wbar1.png (55.48 KiB) Viewed 594 times
Attachments
dock.png
dock.png (2.97 KiB) Viewed 594 times
petihar

Re: Problem with wbar

Post by petihar »

Thanks mow9902, but the problem is different. I can sometimes have the bar perfectly displayed and sometimes with that damned big black rectangle appearing underneath. This happens for example after a right click on the bar or after a restartwm. This wbar works very well with other puppy: fossapup, vanilladpup... but not on bookworm... ?

Attachments
Screenshot.png
Screenshot.png (29.45 KiB) Viewed 547 times
image.png
image.png (25.56 KiB) Viewed 547 times
Screenshot(1).png
Screenshot(1).png (25.56 KiB) Viewed 547 times
rockedge
Site Admin

Post by rockedge »

I think the black bar is caused by the compositor. The question is whether or not this is a opacity/transparency issue and when the wbar is rendered the background behind the wbar is removed because the wbar is not displaying with true transparency.

This happens on other Puppy Linux's like Fossapup64 or F96-CE_4 when launching Conky. Because these systems are using pseudo transparency and some tricks are used to identity what the background is supposed to be and that slice is added into the background of the Conky instance.

On Bionic64 I had to often open up the background switcher and just re-select the background and the fake transparency mechanism would kick in and the Conky display would appear to be transparent as intended.

I am wondering if this is a compositor issue as well.

mow9902

Post by mow9902 »

Ah ..yes @rockedge - your comment 'twigged' my memory. I also had the same problem when I first moved to fossapup96. I used to typically load wbar on startup, but if I placed the conky and wbar executables into the startup folder (which I had done in the past) I could not get a nice transparent background for conky, or if I managed to get it right for conky, it wasn't right for wbar.
After many frustrating trials I finally settled on a solution which worked for me.

• place any of the usual execs into the startup folder as usual

• create a custom 'conky start' script. In my script I have:

wallp=cat /root/.config/wallpaper/bg_img
sleep 1
conky --config="/mnt/home/gmhAddons/my-applications/programs/conkyfiles/production/configs/conky-F96.conf" &
sleep 2
set_bg "$wallp"
exit

• create a custom 'startup' script to load anything else (like conky and wbar). In this file:

echo "starting conky for screen widgets..continuing"
/mnt/home/gmhAddons/my-applications/programs/conkyfiles/gmh-start-conky.sh &>/dev/null &
rox -p=/root/Choices/ROX-Filer/PuppyPin
sleep 2

# Kill any running instance of wbar and launch new instance - ensures correct screen alignment when graphical server is restarted
killall wbar
echo "sleeping"
sleep 1

# Startup wbar - must do this last as it can interfere with the complete progression through the list.
/usr/bin/wbar --config ~/.wbar --above-desk

Like I said - this works for me now.

wbar.png
wbar.png (18.76 KiB) Viewed 505 times
conky.png
conky.png (84.18 KiB) Viewed 505 times
petihar

Post by petihar »

Thanks a lot mow9902 and rockedge, I actually created this script in /root/Startup and my wbar works "cleanly" :thumbup:

echo "starting conky for screen widgets..continuing"
/mnt/home/gmhAddons/my-applications/programs/conkyfiles/gmh-start-conky.sh &>/dev/null &
rox -p=/root/Choices/ROX-Filer/PuppyPin
sleep 2

# Kill any running instance of wbar and launch new instance - ensures correct screen alignment when graphical server is restarted
killall wbar
echo "sleeping"
sleep 1

#Startup wbar - must do this last as it can interfere with the complete progression through the list.
/usr/bin/wbar --config ~/.wbar --above-desk

Merci et Bien à vous, petihar

mow9902

Post by mow9902 »

That's great to hear @petihar .

Could you update/edit the Subject and include (SOLVED) eg. Change it to 'Problem with wbar (SOLVED)'

Return to “BookwormPup”