Compatibility of XenialPup 7.5 and Chrome browser

Moderator: Forum moderators

Phet-Thailand

Compatibility of XenialPup 7.5 and Chrome browser

Post by Phet-Thailand »

Hello, fellow members,

I am in need to know if my XenialPup 7.5 thumb drive can work with a Chrome browser. :|

If it is, is there a particular version of Chrome browser that needs to be integrated to the Xenial I already have on a thumb drive?

All replies welcomed, whether positive, negative or otherwise. :thumbup2:

bigpup

Re: Compatibility of XenialPup 7.5 and Chrome browser

Post by bigpup »

To make sure. This is the 32bit version of Xenialpup 7.5 that you have?

Not xenialpup64 7.5?

Forum Global Moderator
The things you do not tell us, are usually the clue to fixing the problem.
When I was a kid, I wanted to be older.
This is not what I expected :o

mikewalsh

Post by mikewalsh »

IF this is 32-bit Xenialpup 7.5, then you're going to be out of luck.

Although Google released 32-bit builds for Windows until quite recently, they deprecated the 32-bit Linux version more than 7 yrs ago, all the way back in Spring of 2016. v48.0.2564.116 was the very last 32-bit Linux build released (Chrome is now at v119); over 70 releases out of date, and it barely works any more. Quite simply, you cannot run an up-to-date Chromium-based browser in ANY 32-bit Linux distro.

You CAN still run a 32-bit build of perhaps the Iron, Slimjet or Vivaldi browsers, but the final builds even of these are now more than 30 major releases out of date.....and are already exhibiting quite a number of compatibility issues with many modern websites.

If you've got to stick with 32-bit, the only up-to-date, secure browsers that are still available are going to be Mozilla-based. No other options exist now. (If I remember correctly, you're running this on one of those odd little netbooks, aren't you? That being the case, I would recommend Pale Moon rather than Firefox itself, because PM has a rather lighter "footprint" than FF. FF is a RAM-hog. Most modern browsers are, unfortunately.)

Mike. Image

Puppy "stuff" ~ MORE Puppy "stuff" ~ ....and MORE! :D

one

Post by one »

mikewalsh wrote: Sat Oct 28, 2023 9:57 am

[...]

If you've got to stick with 32-bit, the only up-to-date, secure browsers that are still available are going to be Mozilla-based. No other options exist now.

Mike. Image

Hi @mikewalsh,

there are still up-to-date 32-bit builds of chromium available - done by @alienbob (Eric) ...

@peebee publishes them regularly on sourceforge

https://sourceforge.net/projects/lxpup/ ... /browsers/

peace

dimkr

Post by dimkr »

32-bit Chromium is also available in Debian:

mikewalsh

Post by mikewalsh »

@one / @dimkr :-

Aye, you're right, guys. I DID forget about that. But I don't think it would run under Xenialpup 7.5......though I'm quite happy to be proved wrong on this.

Peter (Phet-Thailand) has been running this install of Xenialpup for a few years. I've helped him with it, on & off, over at BleepingComputer. But he's running it on - from what I remember - a rather underpowered Asus netbook (though NOT an eeePC). He's also dual-booting with Win XP on the same machine.

There is, of course, another possibility. The "64-bit compat SFS" peebee put together for the 32-bit SCPups actually runs very nicely under Xenialpup 7.5 (thanks to mikeslr for mentioning it!). I've got a custom version of Xenialpup I set up just for this, running alongside a 'standard' Xenialpup. Swapping the kernel for a 64-bit one, then loading peebee's SFS allows running the current up-to-date 64-bit Chrome browser (if that's required), plus others.......in addition to making it possible to run quite a few 64-bit apps. But it does require rather more in the way of resources than I think Peter's Asus is capable of providing, which is why I didn't mention this either. I also vaguely recall his CPU is one of the very last 32-bit only ones Intel built, so I doubt the above-mentioned "trick" would work here....

It would probably be beneficial for him to upgrade to something like 32-bit Vanilla DPup, though Peter is not the most tech-savvy guy out there.....and he will require a LOT of "hand-holding".

Mike. ;)

Puppy "stuff" ~ MORE Puppy "stuff" ~ ....and MORE! :D

Phet-Thailand

Post by Phet-Thailand »

Good morning dear Friends,

Many thanks for the details that have been provided thus far. Having decided to go a different route than I originally posted about, I decided to use a different Puppy. I have chosen S15Pup32. This Puppy is now on a 32GB SanDisk . It was recognized by my favorite PC, a somewhat vintage HP Compaq, and much to my surprise it used 'wget' to propose 3 or 4 browsers to download. I chose a chromium browser -- all of which is now working much to my satisfaction!

Being new to S15Pup32, I have to get a new mind set for working with it. Right now I would like to know several things: 1) the details/version number of the Chromium browser that is now allowing me to connect to the Internet and 2) is there a special forum for the users who have decided to work with S15Pup32? I don't seem to find the right app that will locate and display the location and other details of the chromium browser that I am using to communicate with you today.

All of these new queries have come about because I have contacted the SITE123 for creating a website for the Positive Self-help Group ( a group of HIV+ people for which I perform the pro bono position of Group Coordinator ). SITE123 advised me that the Windows OS and the Firefox browser that I use were NOT compatible for using the SITE123 application. Their tech staff said that I needed a chrome browser. Well, now I HAVE a new Linux platform and a chromium browser.

I was surprised to see Mike Walsh's postings and very happy that he recalled me and all the headaches that he solved for me when we went through lots of help and handholding setting up Xenial 7.5 32 bit on a dual-boot system of an HP-Mini laptop. Very happy to have you on board, Mike!

bigpup

Post by bigpup »

Specific topics that only have issues with S15Pup32 should be posted in the Spups section of the forum or the specific topic there for S15Pup.
viewforum.php?f=122

Beginners to Puppy posting in the Beginners Help section is good for us, because we know that those people do not know much about Puppy Linux.

Keep in mined, it helps us all if you keep a topic only about one issue, problem, specific Puppy version, or question.

It makes a topic hard to read and follow, if you are talking about multiple things at one time.

No limit to the number of topics you can start.

In the Chromium browser under settings or help it should offer an about info page that will tell you the version it is.

Forum Global Moderator
The things you do not tell us, are usually the clue to fixing the problem.
When I was a kid, I wanted to be older.
This is not what I expected :o

peebee

Post by peebee »

dimkr wrote: Sat Oct 28, 2023 11:48 am

32-bit Chromium is also available in Debian:

viewtopic.php?p=96621#p96621

and also Void

but each does make different assumptions about the age of the underlying system components - Alien Bob's Slackware version is most "oldie" tolerant....

Builder of LxPups, SPups, UPup32s, VoidPups; LXDE, LXQt, Xfce addons; Chromium, Firefox etc. sfs; & Kernels

Return to “Xenial”