wanted: permanent free LAN audio/video software

Under development: PCMCIA, wireless, etc.

Moderator: Forum moderators

boof

wanted: permanent free LAN audio/video software

Post by boof »

need software in fossapup65-9.5 and android 9.x to run AV telepresence/conference, no time outs, on wifi LAN. Will need detailed instructions, slave is android.
don't want to dial in, just conversation with video over a wifi LAN. no motion controls included, just av.

mow9902

Re: wanted: permanent free LAN audio/video software

Post by mow9902 »

Why not just use an AV service from the web? There are plenty to choose from including jitsi
https://jitsi.org/ which works well for me using any chromium browser.

mikewalsh

Post by mikewalsh »

@boof :-

Boof, if you could explain a little further as to what you're trying to accomplish, then we can probably help you to find something appropriate. "Teleprescence" is, perhaps, not quite the right term here; most references to it online seem to be referring to a remote cloud development environment for managing what are termed "Kubernetes clusters".

I could be wrong, but I don't think this is really what you're after, somehow...

If all you want is a means of audio-visual communication - "conferencing", if you wish to use that term - then @mow9902 's suggestion makes perfect sense. There's also Google's 'Meet' and 'Duo' apps, there's WIRE, and of course Skype; these all have a webapp version, too, since they are at heart 'Electron' apps.....based around a stripped-back Chromium browser anyway. WIRE is also available as a standalone app, too; I provide a 'portable' build of this.

What are you trying to do, exactly?

Mike. ;)

Puppy "stuff" ~ MORE Puppy "stuff" ~ ....and MORE! :D

boof

Post by boof »

i want a domestic telepresence as i'm disabled, and want to remotely observe/communicate 2 way via a tablet [Pebble] mounted on a kids' ride-on e-car with remote controls. the tablet is on a stand secured to the car floor, and cont. powered. i only want to use a wifi LAN connection, to minimise data traffic, as i'm in a hi traffic area. it can run on either of my phones [motorolla 5 plus [3/4G] and samsung 3G type, no SIM] via 5.8ghz, or my pc [2.4ghz]. i don't want my data to go off-site, or be shared. recording not needed. My main screen is 58in plasma 4k tv, internally expanded from 1080i image w hdmi sound. . pc is dell optilux 3060 w 8GB and fossapup64-9.5, but can prob change to other linux. i can't afford hrly usage nor hire charges. the car is used as it's big and hefty enough to make the dog give space or withstand collision. ditto humans. it may get an appendage later. ultimately, it will become a Dalek-oid body. thx see http://www.facebook.com > groups > LIVING WITH A DALEK. pm me to join. pc cam may be imou ranger 2 security cam with xeoma package, or a webcam. i notice the absence of webcam software under <menu>.

boof

Post by boof »

u don't seem to get it. ibdo not want the data to go off-site. i prefer a closed private network, without web access for linking te devices.. it may be mundane to you, but i cannot decipher hie to do remote admin into the tablet with mobile 2way av. the programs offered seem to need web access, it can't be hard, i haven't the necessary background. to switch between the www and just the LAN, i will swap/toggle the ~/etc/ network-wizard/wireless/profiles/*.conf file between router and tablet.

p310don

Post by p310don »

I have an app on my phone that is called IP Webcam.

It turns my phone into a webcam, which you can possibly also do with your tablet. It streams my phone's camera output to a browser and has 2 way communication as an option.

https://play.google.com/store/apps/deta ... l=en&gl=US

mikewalsh

Post by mikewalsh »

@boof :-

Ah! I get it; what you actually want is not so much "teleprescence", as, well; more like a video intercom.....yes?

So; okay. One possibility could be either a pair of smartphones.......OR a pair of tablets.....or one of each.....and this app:-

https://www.linhome.org/software-produc ... label-app/
( https://play.google.com/store/apps/deta ... rg.linhome )

Just an idea. Seems this can be configured for LAN operation, OR web operation (or a combination of the two).

Maybe it'll help.......maybe it won't. See what you think.

Mike. ;)

OscarTalks

Post by OscarTalks »

I was going to say that you can use Linphone to establish a permanently-open audio and video communications connections between devices over a LAN network. It does work on Puppy though a bit of configuration is usually required. It is also available as versions for smartphones. Setting up static LAN IP addresses for all your devices would be a great help in this scenario.

The "Linhome" applications as mentioned by Mike Walsh are developed by the same company as Linphone so may be even more suitable, a case of investigating further.
https://linphone.org/

mikewalsh

Post by mikewalsh »

@OscarTalks :-

Interesting, Oscar; thanks for that. I'd forgotten all about Linphone.......I did have a play around with it when you first introduced it to the community some years ago, but never took it that far. Not too long after, I began to discover the plethora of video-calling apps available online, and, well; that was it. I've always been a fan of doing stuff in the browser where possible.....

I didn't realize you could leave things permanently open at both ends.

(I had a sneaking suspicion this was the same company when I saw the website. Thanks for confirming it.) :thumbup:

Mike. ;)

Clarity

Post by Clarity »

As this is desired to be an on-premise means to connect for an A-V interactivity, I WONDER???

@rockedge has a solution that just might check all the boxes for what the OP is asking for.

In fact this would be an EXCELLENT Home Project AND could be packaged as an OOTB Home solution.

This is an example use:

• There are multiple LAN RTSP cameras in the home

• All of them are seen by @rockedge's solution

• All of them support A-V interaction such that clicking on any one of the camera feeds allows audio conversation with that camera's room.

• Thus, no OS "or" application installation is needed at each camera as they are mere standalones

This extends the OP's request to many/most other home user uses, while this solution "may" already be capable to do so. This also comes with an ability built in that solution to preserve the feeds and any interaction, if required for review/playback.

In ESSENCE, it a home A-V intercom solution.

Just a thought.

PS: I thought a saw a similar solution requiring no PCs but cannot remember who presented this RTSP solution...maybe a cheap Wyze? ... cant remember but I think it was done with cheap $24(ca) cameras.

boof

Post by boof »

thx. i'll try linphone, i think i get SIP on my nbn. not sure, failing that i'd try vnc, but i can't get it to start, perhaps too many/few files.
i can't cut n paste from PPM installe files list. neither L click nor ctl-c work. i'll turn on ctr mouse button. nothing works. i have tightvnc viwer, and linuxvnc, and 2 aps for jave and vnc, plus others.

edit 1
does lnphone provide admin control of the slave?

eit 2
i won't use a phone to phe service, as the screens are too small, and i want the slave to run some special social apps, which my 2nd ph won't run, as it's too old. ist's a samsung 3g model - palm sized.. doubt its even android.
is it as simple as typing in the dhcp address of te other machine into each browser and turning on the cameras on a closed network? there may be some security problems with that, but I'll try it.

boof

Post by boof »

thx, i've decided to go with linphone.

i need help to install the linux pc version. see

https://github.com/BelledonneCommunicat ... ne-desktop

i do not understand it, nor how to download the files.

i have devx.sfs, and can get kernel-sources.sfs for my system.

beyond that, i'm utterly lost. [the android end works, but tablet is not an internet enabled hotspot,
so they will only connect thru the router]

is it ask a lot for apet file?.

muggins

Post by muggins »

Hello Boof,

If you download https://download.linphone.org/releases/ ... 2.AppImage, to wherever you want to keep it, then right click
the file & select "Permissions", then choose to make the file executable, it will start.

I downloaded it Lx64Pup, but I received an error about my libQtCore. Thinking this was perhaps due to other stuff I've installed, I downloaded the fossapup64-9.5.iso, rebooted, just to check it starts OK in fossa64.

boof

Post by boof »

thank you. i hadn't thought of that. with no extension displayed, i didn't know what to do.

q
do i have to have to have an account, SIP not possible.where to get android 9.x ip address pls-not shown on tablet.

OscarTalks

Post by OscarTalks »

You don't need a SIP account for calling over LAN
(although Linphone and others will provide free accounts if you want to call over WAN internet)

Entering the LAN IP of the device you want to call and then pressing the call button should initiate the call. Linphone can be set to auto-answer when a call is received. So long as neither party hangs up, the call should remain open indefinitely.

You should be able to see LAN IP addresses of all devices by using a browser to log in to the information and admin pages of your router if you can not see the LAN IP on each device. Obviously it is convenient if you can set up static LAN IP addresses so that the number to call will always remain the same. You may need to have port 5060 open (SIP default port) on any firewalls.

With Linphone-desktop in Puppy I have found that you have to disable ipv6 in the Network section of Preferences TWICE for the setting to stick. Do it once, close Linphone, re-open Linphone, do the setting switch a second time and then it will be remembered. Seems to be some sort of long-standing bug?

boof

Post by boof »

thx,
really unsure abt tablet too, username cannot contain <@> , so it's not a email address, is it my puppy hostname?
and vice versa?

OscarTalks

Post by OscarTalks »

You would not be using a username if it is LAN connections only
I don't know the details of your network, but if the LAN is the local side of a router which is part of your connection to the internet then the LAN IP addresses are usually something like 192.168.1.2 which will be 4 sets of numbers separated by dots, with the last number being different to identify each device. You would need to type in this number sequence as the machine you are wanting to call. If these LAN IP's are static you can store them as contact addresses in Linphone so you don't need to type every time.

If you do decide to register a SIP account, you select your own username which can not contain the "at" symbol because that would cause confusion since the complete SIP address does in fact already contain an "at" symbol and does in fact look rather like an e-mail address.

For example, if you register the name "boofboof" with SIP provider iptel.org your SIP address would be "sip:boofboof@iptel.org" (in some cases the sip: prefix can be left out) and that is what you would give to others as your SIP address so that they can use it to call you (in the same way as you would give them your e-mail address). Also you would log in to your Linphone client with username boofboof and the password you set up with the account and that would connect your Linphone client to the iptel.org SIP server. Actually if you register with Linphone's own server, the domain name has an extra "sip" so it would be sip:boofboof@sip.linphone.org which is slightly confusing, but as I said, for LAN connections you don't need to be connected to a SIP server so no need to concern yourself with it if that is all you want to do.

boof

Post by boof »

nearly there. seems to have video i HAVE to have a linphone account. i'm still hooked upon the name of the tablet and pc, which using spot for firefox, but not linphone.
the addresses are correct, am i using correct term, LAN =WIFI? if not, pls make corrections to advice. i can't see a way of connecting a non phone device from the tablet, it wants to dial out.

boof

Post by boof »

i have 2 devices, does each need its own account,then it makes the two accounts converse??? if i use one account it's always busy.

OscarTalks

Post by OscarTalks »

As I said, you do not need a SIP account if you are only making calls (audio/video connections) over a LAN network. Video is just part of the digital data which passes across the connection, same as the audio, but the audio uses an audio codec and the video uses a video codec.

The "name" you have to enter is the numerical LAN IP address of the device you want to call, so you have to know what that number is. You may need to add the port number after a colon, especially if you have changed it away from the default 5060 and ports need to be open for the incoming connection.

I have had this working with a desktop and a netbook, both running Puppy with Linphone installed, but it was a while ago so I may be forgetting some of the smaller details. You will need to experiment a bit, but I know it can work.

boof

Post by boof »

no camera in pc.

linphone accunt #1 in tablet, working a bit.-says connected. apparently only for text.

pc,
top left of window, home, no account configured. ???A chatroom exists, with sip#1 in title and ip of pc.

using assistant

use a linphone account
account #1 or #2?

boof

Post by boof »

just to get it working quickly with Anydesk how do i operate Anydesk as finn - i have set finn a password, but don't knoe how to change it

edit 1
got pc working. edited ~save.4fs/etc/plogin.set to read "finn" and rebooted with 'save'..
booted as finn. had to enter finn password to get to xorgwizard, selected option #2 .
downloaded Anydesk and installed as fin. ran file. works fine, no admin user warnings.
unattended pw w
problem-Tablet throws security fit and won't allow connection.

Pikaxhu

Post by Pikaxhu »

boof wrote: Thu Sep 28, 2023 10:49 pm

need software in fossapup65-9.5 and android 9.x to run AV telepresence/conference, no time outs, on wifi LAN. Will need detailed instructions, slave is android.
don't want to dial in, just conversation with video over a wifi LAN. no motion controls included, just av.

Hi

Dunno if you already solve this... My two cents:

http://brie.fi/ng

Webrtc based, point to point video FREE. You only need any browser, and allow camera/mic permissions.

Regards

Pikaxhu

boof

Post by boof »

i have anydesk working video one way, with remote mouse control and have now added a CM100 camera to the pc. i don't yet have that working, nor any audio. i assume it's compatible, and the old camera discovery software has ben removed from Menu -trying cheese - works! the pebble tablet wifi is overheating on extreme range and with much congestion, and will need a fan. it could cause a dropout or even destruction. i have a spare hp laptop one somewhere, if i've not discarded it. a bit of surgery and it'll work directly off the battery. the surgery will allow bigger roaches into it, but sacrifices are required. it's intended that the device be permanently powered up, even when charging main battery. the tablet battery is expendable?

Return to “Cutting Edge”